Hornady, New Long Range Offering

morning, very good listening, there is 1 bullet that Remington made, the bronze tip.

I still have some in 277 and 308. I purchased these bullets when I was told by an old

friend long passed. Remington quit making the bullet because of the cost of

production. very very good bullet.lightbulb

If the A-Max tips are deforming? at what speeds? how hard can you push them beform this happens?
does this happen with smaller calibers more often then lager calibers do to mass in the tip? less mass more deforming, more mass less deforming.
just spit balling here. I just have never heard alot about this untill the new bullet design.

If the A-Max tips are deforming? at what speeds? how hard can you push them beform this happens?
does this happen with smaller calibers more often then lager calibers do to mass in the tip? less mass more deforming, more mass less deforming.
just spit balling here. I just have never heard alot about this untill the new bullet design.
From what I gathered they weren't aware of it until they began final work on this bullet so I suspect they didn't see the problem before.

It was only when the math didn't work out on this bullet that they even started looking at the tips.

.........there is 1 bullet that Remington made, the bronze tip........... Remington quit making the bullet because of the cost of production.......very very good bullet.lightbulb

I was wondering if I was the only one remembered these. The tips were great, no magazine deformation, or broken tips, the bullet behind the tips were a little fragile for my taste.

The Lost River Ballistic had a good tip, but the bullet behind it was a little hard.

There was a good thread about machining tips for adding tips for bullets as well.

I like the concept of tipped bullets, but getting the bullet behind it right seems to be a challenge. Maybe Hornady has finally done it.

I may have missed it, but have they said the recommended twist rate for the 7mm 175 gr?

Ok I have some questions.

Why would you want the 220 grain 30 cal when the 212 grain has a higher BC?

Why did they not make a hunting version of the 338 bullet?

No love for 270?

Are the Match bullets the same but with a thinner jacket?

Yeah, I think there are some errors on their web site posted BC values.

Their website G7 BC values for their 212 and 220gr .308 ELD-X bullets aren't consistent. The 212gr is 0.344 or .336 depending on which page you look at. The 220gr is shown as .342 or .325 on different pages. And I agree, why would their 220gr have a lower BC than the 212gr? Seems counterintuitive to their purpose in marketing these bullets. It's confusing. So I'm guessing they'll need to correct their advertised BC values on their web site before we'll know the fine points on their .308 BC values.

Yeah, I think there are some errors on their web site posted BC values.

Their website G7 BC values for their 212 and 220gr .308 ELD-X bullets aren't consistent. The 212gr is 0.344 or .336 depending on which page you look at. The 220gr is shown as .342 or .325 on different pages. And I agree, why would their 220gr have a lower BC than the 212gr? Seems counterintuitive to their purpose in marketing these bullets. It's confusing. So I'm guessing they'll need to correct their advertised BC values on their web site before we'll know the fine points on their .308 BC values.

The 220gr has a shorter ogive so it can be loaded in factory ammo (or for those who want mag length options) (i.e. 300 RUM, 30-378 Wby Mag in Precision Hunter ammo) The 212gr is too long to be loaded to spec in factory ammo.

The 175gr 7mm and 212gr 30 cal are both long for caliber, handloader only options.

Can't find the BC inconsistencies - do you have a link?

The 220gr has a shorter ogive so it can be loaded in factory ammo (or for those who want mag length options) (i.e. 300 RUM, 30-378 Wby Mag in Precision Hunter ammo) The 212gr is too long to be loaded to spec in factory ammo.

The 175gr 7mm and 212gr 30 cal are both long for caliber, handloader only options.

Can't find the BC inconsistencies - do you have a link?

Thanks for that explanation on the differing ogive lengths. I can see that difference in ogive shapes in their website photo now that you've pointed out the design difference.

I rechecked their web site. The BCs are now consistent at both locations. Their webmaster employee must have caught the inconsistency and corrected it - johnny on the spot!

The .308 212gr ELD-X is now shown with a G7-BC of 0.336 at both web pages. And the 220gr ELD-X is now shown with a G7-BC of 0.325 at both web pages.

So the 220gr has a slightly lower G7-BC value (0.011 less), which would be expected with the shorter ogive and the differing form factor.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.