new to long range

bclark1

So Ive been looking into getting into long range shooting and hunting. I currently have an armalite ar-10 in 308 win. Ive been looking at the sightron siii 8-32x56, the sightron siii 10-50x60 and the nightforce benchrest 12-42x56. I have some questions though. On the above scopes which reticle is best, why do most scopes have the elvation and windage turrets as well as mill dots or extra lines, and is it necessary to have both mil dots as well as turrets or is just a cross hair and turrets sufficient for hunting and target shooting. I would also appreciate any ballistics charts or programs that would help calculate bullet trajectories. I would appreciate any help and tips anyone may have.

Start here,

Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting, by Litz. Buy this book and read over and over until you have a fundamental understanding of what level of accuracy and precision it takes to make your intended long range shoots with consistency.

For the scopes, MOA MOA is a preferred setup. Mil Mil will work but most seem to prefer the MOA MOA. The Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 with NP-R1 or MOAR reticle will make an excellent scope for hunting purposes. You will diminish your elevation adjustment capabilities with the higher power NF scopes. If you are aware of the required elevation for the range and ballistics profile you will be shooting then the higher power scopes will also sufice.

For ballistics start here.
JBM - Calculations - Trajectory (Simplified)

Last edited:
Ok thanks a lot for the help I think Im going to buy the book before making any decisions. As of right now i think im going to stick with one of the nightforces. so the nxs 5.5-22x56 would still provide suffivient magnification to be shooting around the 800 to 1200 yard range?

Ok thanks a lot for the help I think Im going to buy the book before making any decisions. As of right now i think im going to stick with one of the nightforces. so the nxs 5.5-22x56 would still provide suffivient magnification to be shooting around the 800 to 1200 yard range?

Plenty enough.

So are the nightforces that much better than the sightmark scopes(enough to justify the extra $600) or would one of the sightmark siii series scopes still be adequate for such ranges?

Sightron makes a good scope. Are the NF NXS worth the extra money? I think so. This is my opinion and I don't think I would be too off track to state many others would agree. NF NXS is a very popular top end hunting scope if you can afford to sport one.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.