The New Long Range ...

FEENIX

... for what it's worth!lightbulbgun)

Attachments

• ScannedImage (589x800).jpg
    ScannedImage (589x800).jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 104
The article is actually very true to the "general" hunting crowd. How many guys have you seen at the range that have a hard time hitting the target at 100 yards? A lot of the "general" hunting crowd still take guesses on how far away their targets are because they don't have a rangefinder.

He also mentions the importance of practice. Very few people put in the time to become proficient at yardages past 3 or 400 yards. The people on this forum that honestly shoot long range are just a very small percentage of the overall hunting community and I feel that makes his article valid to 95% of his readers; the other 5% post successful pictures of hunts at extended ranges on this site :)

They have a hard time hitting, because the "average" hunter only shoots 1 or 2 boxes of ammo a year. They also have little or no professional instruction except what granpa told them to do back in 1970 something with his Winchester '06 and 4x scope. :D I know plenty of these guys who have the latest whiz bang super flat shooting cartridge that costs $55.00 a box so they only buy 1, complaining about it the whole time. These guys have a hard time sighting in their rifle at 100 yards, let alone hitting a game animal at 400. gun)

I agree, it's actually a pretty goo article.

Very few hunters will ever shoot at anything beyond 200yds, and as noted above have very limited experience and no instruction from anyone who was competent enough to give it.

He does a good job of talking about what it does take to push out beyond 400 and 600yds and does a good job of it.

In THIS crowd, we don't think of long range as being anything inside of 600yds, but in reality, we are the "one percenters" the one percent of hunters crazy enough to think we can and who are willing to invest the time and money to constantly push the limits of what we ourselves even think is possible.

One thing I think he doesn't account for is the huge number (relatively speaking) of combat veterans we've had over the last ten years who have a great deal of 300yds plus trigger time who are now taking to the hunting field prepared, trained, and well practiced in the art of long range shooting.

We haven't had an influx of competent trained shooters into the civilian populous like this in more than a generation.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts