new to long range

Bultaco

I have a FFL and shoot USPSA but do not know anything about this sport. I am looking at geting into it with a Zel Custom Ultralite Upper 338 Lapua. Is this a good place to start? Please be kind with your replies.
Thank you for your time.
Bob
Wellington Ks.

I like KS! Spent 2.5yrs of my life at Ft. Riley. I was howitzer mechanic. I spent a lot of time in Chapman, Abilene, Junction City (too much here:rolleyes:), Lawrence, Salina, and Manhattan. I did travel to other places like Wichita, Olatha, Topeka, and Overland Park. Got to see Bosefus, and Charlie Daniels in Overland Park Amphitheater. Anywho, welcome to a new addiction and LRH. Not sure on your component you are requesting info on, but I can tell you that you'll enjoy the benefit of having an FFL. My dad had one and it was nice buying wholesale.

Tank

I have a highly customized Savage. It's pretty much a full custom because the only thing original is the bolt, bolt assembly screw, and the action. Everything else is aftermarket. I put it together myself. My best group to date with it is a .75" 5 shot group at 300yds in prone position. Here's the stats.

Caliber: .308 Win (Best load: 43.0grn IMR4895, 175SMK, F210M primer, RWS Brass, 2.787" OAL)
SSS Recoil lug bought from Brownell's
EGW one piece picatinny rail
Weaver Tactical 30mm rings
Stockade Bolt handle and lift kit (eases lift weight)
Lothar Walther 28" 1:12 twist
Bell & Carlson Medalist A2 Stock
Savage action w/ Accutrigger
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 Side Focus w/target dot
Harris Bi-pod 6-9 w/swivel base
Custom muzzle break by a local gunsmith
Horus ASLI cosine indicator/level

Here she is:
Johnspics3-10-11025.jpg

Johnspics3-10-11027.jpg

Johnspics3-10-11028.jpg

That upper looks pretty sweet. Not sure how it would hold up. For the cost you could buy a Remington complete rifle in the same caliber. Do a stock change, work the trigger, and a good barrel break in should get you where you want to be. Glass is one of the most important parts of a long range rifle, so get the best glass you can afford. Depending on what you want to do with the rifle will really determine which way I steer you in caliber. If you want the 338 Lapua, get a purpose built rifle. This caliber is one of the best for long range hunting and target. It can push a 250grn bullet to 3000fps. It can push a 300grn bullet to to 2850. It will kill an Elk to 1600yds, but like anything else, bullet placement is essential. Range time and learning your weapons system is also a big part of the long range game.

Because I plan to limit my deer hunting to 800yds, I use the 308. For groundhogs I can take it to 1200 if given the opportunity. So do some looking and give some specifics to your intention for this rifle. That will tell us a lot and can be a little more specific in our answers.

One other thing, for the cost of the upper, you could go an extra $500 and get this: http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110BA
Because you have an FFL, you can purchase this rifle at a much better price than any of us.

Tank

I heard weatherby was coming out with one in lapua. If not a 338-378 would be pretty good and about the same price and you wouldnt have to beat up your lower or buy a very expensive ar trigger and you could hold more than one.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.