Got my 300 Win Mag back

Overkill338

I had sold my Ruger boat paddle collection several years back. My uncle passed away last week and he made sure I got my 300 Win Mag back. I've been out of handloading (sold it all) and rifle shooting for quite awhile now. The one thing I have noticed is all the new bullets. I'm going to set this up to be my deer rifle. Seems fitting, since he wanted me to have it back.

I used to be a member here (Tang), but cant get my account due to not having that email address any more. But I traded my 300 RUM Sendero to someone here for a Ruger M77 MkII 264 Win Mag(another uncle has it now) It is pictured below with my 300. So I came back here, because this place was always a great help to me.

I will be getting back into handloading, but I may just stick to the Hornady 200 grain Precision Hunter, because I always liked heavy bullets. Does anyone know if they will open up on small Whitetails?

Attachments

• 20190612_205703-1612x1209.jpg
    20190612_205703-1612x1209.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Great Table!
Thanks lol

Funny thing is, I had forgotten how clear that Simmons Aetec was. That has been a very good scope, 3.8-12x50. It started leaking some sort of oil around the objective no long after I got it in 2006. I figured when I looked through it, that it would be smoked up.

I had sold my Ruger boat paddle collection several years back. My uncle passed away last week and he made sure I got my 300 Win Mag back. I've been out of handloading (sold it all) and rifle shooting for quite awhile now. The one thing I have noticed is all the new bullets. I'm going to set this up to be my deer rifle. Seems fitting, since he wanted me to have it back.

I used to be a member here (Tang), but cant get my account due to not having that email address any more. But I traded my 300 RUM Sendero to someone here for a Ruger M77 MkII 264 Win Mag(another uncle has it now) It is pictured below with my 300. So I came back here, because this place was always a great help to me.

I will be getting back into handloading, but I may just stick to the Hornady 200 grain Precision Hunter, because I always liked heavy bullets. Does anyone know if they will open up on small Whitetails?

I have a Ruger Hawkeye Magnum Hunter in 300 WM. It is a very accurate rifle, with most bullets, but the Ruger magazine is SAAMI length, so the OAL of reloaded cartriges must stay at or below 3.35" which is very limiting when it comes to larger bullets. The bullets that work best in this rifle are Burger 185 gr Classic Hunter and Nosler 180 gr Ballist Tips or Accubond with OAL 3.35". All of these give dime sized (or smaller, sometimes single hole) groups at 100 yards and the tight groupings hold at longer ranges. However, I have not had success getting the Hornady 200 gr ELDX or Nosler 190 gr Accubond LR to group well in this rifle. I believe that if I were able to seat them closer to the lands and tinker with seating depth, I might be able to get them to group better. But then I would have a single shot rifle, which won't work for me, since this rifle is my primary elk hunting rifle.

Overkill338, you're on the right track.

You won't have to worry much about that 200 gr ELDX opening up on a whitetail.

My experience has been inside 200 yards, with a vitals area hit, animal is DRT. Bullets pass through, 30 cal entry, about a quarter sized to golf ball sized exit, Hydrostatic shock does the rest. Animal passes out and bleeds to death in his sleep.

Recommend behind the shoulder hits.

I haven't actually shot deer at any range greater than 500 yards, but I load and prepare to. So as far as the LR aspect, you might wanna start loading if that's where you're going...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.