Finally got my Buck

JustMe2

What a day, whew!!! Shot the deer Thursday morning at 0800 hrs. Our Florida rut just kicked in this week, the last week of January. Three bucks were chasing 2 does; a 1 inch spike, 3 inch spike and finally this 8pt. They were grunting, etc. Pretty entertaining.

The bucks and does were rapidly crossing back and forth across a narrow food plot into the thick trees and underbrush on both sides so very little time to aim. Luckily, I had my rifle up against my shoulder and resting on the window opening of the shooting box and was just practicing aiming at the non-legal spikes and does. After they left, I was getting ready to lower the rifle when the 8pt stepped out. It appeared he was broadside to me so I aimed right behind the shoulder, shot, and he leaped into the woods. Waited 2 hrs, found lots of big puddles of blood, so buddy and I thought he was double lung and heart shot and he'd be close. NOPE. After 2 hrs of tracking through a miserable and very difficult swamp, the blood stopped, so we called a tracker. Two more hrs with the tracker and his dog and 7 miles of tracking according to his GPS through a tangled swamp still no deer. So we stopped for 2hrs for a break and lunch. Started again and the deer kept getting up and running from the dog and wouldn't stay down. Finally, at about 1500 hrs the tracker got close enough to the deer to shoot it with his 357 revolver because the deer was distracted fighting the dog and he said it threw his dog up in the air. We discovered I hit it where I thought right behind the shoulder but the deer was quartering toward me instead of broadside. Bullet went in just behind the shoulder and exited just in front of the hindquarters. Took out one lung and some intestines missing the heart. Didn't even hit the liver. Then we had to drag it out over a mile through the sharp briars, mud, downfalls, and tangled vines to the truck. What a workout. This is a big buck for Florida, but small mass for the northern states.

Attachments

• 8 Pt 4 Hills.jpg
    8 Pt 4 Hills.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Wow, that is a heck of a long tracking job. Sounds like the dog saved the day! Nice option to have if you can find one to do the work. I'm glad you were able to catch up with the buck and get it put down once and for all. Looks swampy in your pic! Had be a tough tracking job through that.

It's going to get asked sooner or later, so I'll tackle it now - what cartridge and bullet were you using? Sounds like it went all the way through and did some damage, but due to the angle of the shot, not enough internal harm to keep bambi from going and going.

CONGRATULATIONS on getting your deer!

Yes, lots of water. It was a .308, 155 gr Palma Sierra Match King. Blew a softball size hole out the far side of the deer. Yes, it just happened to miss most of the vitals when it passed through. The one lung and some intestines it passed through were mush. All the other deer I've shot using this bullet either fell where they stood or went only 20-50 yards. This was one tough deer and we definitely wouldn't have recovered it without the dog. Because of the jungles we hunt in down here, using a dog to find the deer is very, very common and almost required. The tracker said he was used 17 times already this year to find deer. I thought members would enjoy hearing what it is like to hunt down here where we don't have snow.

Last edited:
Swamps, tracking dogs, and no snow...definitely a different hunting experience. Your deer sustaining so much damage & still going is a testament to adrenaline & the shear will to live. There was a thread on here a few months ago loaded with stories of animals that should have been down & out but they miraculously kept going. Your experience speaks to that, too. I had a hog give me a similar lesson. Just proves there are no absolutes or guarantees when hunting.

Dandy buck and good story. Sounds like some of the areas around my home (Eastern N.C.) too. I have a swamp right behind my house and that's where all the bigger bucks come from. We use dogs for the chase and for recovery too. Makes a difference sometimes on whether the animal's recovered or not. Good on you for not giving up.

That's a trophy as far as I'm concerned. I've hit a lot of deer solid in my hunting days and it never fails - a few of them just simply won't give up. You respected the animal enough to not give up either. Well done.

Even when your bullet makes a pretty big hole, the angle can make all the difference. The behind the shoulder shot sometimes lets us down when the angle isn't a true broadside presentation. Good thing you had a solid Plan B with the tracking dog. I'm leaning towards shooting them through the shoulders for this reason - some of them are just so tough that they keep on going when we think they should have been dead a long time ago. I've packed deer out of some pretty nasty places, and I'm getting a little too old for that. The reliable knock-down shot is looking more & more like the better wat to go, at least for me. Some buddies that I used to hunt with back in the Midwest ( shotguns with slugs; big whitetails ) were all shoulder shooters, and the saying was "if you want more meat, just shot more deer." It's hard for me to get over old habits, though.

Congratulations & great job in not giving on recovery! Super job on the dogs part, What was the tracking dog, Drahthaar, or German wire hair, or possibly German shorthair??
I am impressed you mentioned Drahthaar. I miss my Girl Sasha RIP. She was a VOM ALTMOOR pup. Roger and Nancy. Impressive dog.

But to me looks like a shorty in the picture

Great buck. Congrats

Very nice florida buck ! Great follow up too. You took reponsibility for your judgement and ended a great deers suffering as quickly as you could under difficult conditions. Well done !