I got my deer!!!!!

Got this one at 3:50 p.m. last day here too! Normally I drive 7 hours North West to a 1/4 section I own ..this one...in my backyard...round trip...17 minutes! Rut here started 3 weeks later than usual. Been a strange season!View attachment 516765
That a Brute, Congrats Skippy

Well then, I'll have to do some dedicated coyote hunting this winter maybe. You know, I've never actually hunted them. I have shot one or two over the years opportunistically, but never made a point of hunting them. Perhaps it's time. I image that 75 grain at 4000+ would pop them nicely 🤣

Sorry to hear ya struck out, better luck next year
I often go out after them a couple of times a winter when the cabin fever gets to me, probably try to go a little extra this year. It's really fun when you have an on day, though I tend to get a higher percentage of off days due to my calling skills or lack thereof.

does putting an entire hindquarter into the oven at once mean it's still just "one roast"?
That's how we do it. I'm still working the first Buck's hindquarter. I will eat from it again tonight. We oven roast it and when I slice it up, I cut out the big bone and give it to my worthless dog, Peter.

Attachments

• 20220922_185622.jpg
    20220922_185622.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 32
Well I got it all processed now. A lot of years I prefer to let the skinned out deer hang for 1-2 weeks but this year it's been freakishly warm out for here, and my uncles garage was a tad warmer than I felt comfortable letting it hang that long in. I'm glad I brought it home last night to trim it up in no rush…because I don't want to drive out of town for days now if I don't have to. It's raining. That is so wrong for this time of year where I live. It is raining, 0. Celcius or 32 farhenheit and it's RAINING. this feels colder than -20 and bone dry out…but now it's just starting to snow, and the road will be a suicidal skating rink for a while now.

It still got 5 full days hang time, definitely past any rigor mortis and plenty tender.

Took my time trimming as much meat as I could off the bones, going between ribs and everything. I trimmed as much fat off as I could as well as connective tissue. Saved the backstraps and tenderloins and maybe three "roasts" of sorts haha. Everything else I turned into hamburger. He had a decent haul of meat, not the hugest buck ever but definitely "full size" - I weighed all the meat after and I got 59 pounds of hamburger and 20 pounds of "roast/backstrap/tenderloin".

Not complaining about 79 pounds of completely boneless meat after thorough fat and connective tissue removing.

I've already eaten the tenderloins… 😁

A nice pile of hamburger

Attachments

• IMG_7131.jpeg
    IMG_7131.jpeg
    423.1 KB · Views: 33
Great job on your successful hunt! Even though the season was tough, it's awesome that you're happy with the deer and how well the Hammer Hunter 75 grain performed at 4150 fps. Impressive results and a clean takedown.