My son got his first deer

Long Time Long Ranger

Bringing young hunters into the shooting/hunting sports is the most important thing we can do for this heritage to continue. Statistics show we are a dying breed so please donate your time to youth programs that bring youngsters into the shooting/hunting sports.

I just wanted to say how proud I was of my 15 year old son taking his first deer recently. He was proud of his new 257 wby and could shoot it well. We spotted a group of deer at a distance and made a perfect stalk but couldn't close beyond 318 yards. My son calmly folded down his bipod and got into a good shooting position. Then he chambered a round, took off the safety and dropped his first deer in its tracks at 318 yards. The rest of the deer took off running but the next biggest one stopped just inside some cover. I took him out in his tracks at a little over 500 yards with the 338-378. Perfect stalk, father and son, and two deer dropped in there tracks from side by side rests. Like ole Larry the Cable Guy says " thats pretty good right there, I don't care who you are". My son was ecstatic, just a bit excited to say the least. He does pretty good in high school track but he set his own personal best running to those deer. He helped me dress them and they made good jerky he carried to school for his friends. Just had a big pot of stew also that was pretty good.

I want to thank Dr. Gilman in Worland Wyoming for giving my son the opportunity to take his first deer on his beautiful ranch. He understands how important it is to give youth an opportunity at hunting and to teach them respect for the land, animals and how to do it the right way.

way cool I remember my sons first deer and thes year I got to be with my daughter as she got her first bull elk. We need pics of those deer

Good job to the son and you !

You are right -people need to take young folks out hunting even if it isn't their own kids.

Congratulations and I agree the jerky was good while glassing those huge whitetails. To bad we didn't have a tag! You need to get some pictures up of the huge stuff you been shooting. That mulie is huge! I can't wait for the caribou hunt this fall. Those pics are awesome. A word to the wise, if you meet LTLR at the range don't bet on anything with him. If he can see it he can hit it. I think he cheats. I bet on the raven in a tree right at 500 yards against his 220 wby rocket. Me and the raven lost. One shot, looked like a black powder puff.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.