• YES

Votes: 1,851 58.7%
  • NO

Votes: 927 29.4%
  • I am planning to get one

Votes: 373 11.8%

• Total voters
Thanks Harvey,
I just found out that a club I used to shoot at has a 600yd range now. Might have to load some heavier rounds, and give it a try. If I had a range finder, I'd set my own targets up in one of the gravel pits I have permission to hunt in, but all in good time!! Just bought a Fox Pro Caller so my wife will have to digest that one, before a range finder goes in the bag!! What powder do you use, and what length and twist is your AR?
Have a great one,
Mikegun)

Hey Silvertip,
I've got a group of friends here in Michigan that don't "own" any either.....But they sure shoot a lot of them!! Strange thing is, some of them use these funny looking blue hard hats as targets down range?!?!?!:D:rolleyes:gun)

Thanks Harvey,
I just found out that a club I used to shoot at has a 600yd range now. Might have to load some heavier rounds, and give it a try. If I had a range finder, I'd set my own targets up in one of the gravel pits I have permission to hunt in, but all in good time!! Just bought a Fox Pro Caller so my wife will have to digest that one, before a range finder goes in the bag!! What powder do you use, and what length and twist is your AR?
Have a great one,
Mikegun)

Hi Mike..

I have one of the first Colt HBAR's....1-7 twist, 20 inch chromed bore barrel. It's been modified a bit by Compass Engineering (Fla.) for Service Rifle comp. Mostly 4 1/2 pound trigger, sleeve under the hand guard, .050 front post and 1/2 min sight adjustments. I use a 16x scope for load development.

I've used many different powders in it since '90. I like H-322 for the 68-70 gr. bullets (2-300 yds) and 2520, Varget, 4895, 4320, N-140, N-540 and RL-15 with the 80 gr bullets.
I've tried 90 gr JLK bullets. They shoot as well as the 80 gr. JLK's, but there was no real advantage, since the velocity was less.

I've had good results with the JLK, Sierra, Nosler and Berger VLD bullets. I like the JLK's best (best B.C.) but Sierra and possibly Nosler have thicker jackets for higher velocities (also shoot a 22/250)

Harvey/ Ga

I don't own one because I can't legally hunt with one in PA. I might not own one even if I could hunt with one.

Fitch

i don't own one nor do i want one. my constitutionally protected shtf gun is a custom mini-14. if i want accuracy i go boltgun):cool:
i figure if i ever really need an ar they will be laying everywere.:D

RRA predator pursuit

I used to be against ar's too since you cant hunt with them in certain states :) but after buying one that certainly changed my mind, i carry that gun with me everywhere and plan on buying more.

Hey Farmboy,
I'm with you. I think you could never own too many. As far as those states that don"t allow them to be used for hunting....I'd move!! I just shot my first Coyote yesterday with My Stag, and if it were a legal gun in California, AKA The PeopleZ RepubliK Of Kalafornia, I'd take it out there to shoot some Coyotes there too? Those anti gunners out there won't allow me to use mine because it has a detachable magazine...***? So let me use a 5 shot clip like Michigan and MOST of the rest of the Country???gun)

Hey Farmboy,
I'm with you. I think you could never own too many. As far as those states that don"t allow them to be used for hunting....I'd move!! I just shot my first Coyote yesterday with My Stag, and if it were a legal gun in California, AKA The PeopleZ RepubliK Of Kalafornia, I'd take it out there to shoot some Coyotes there too? Those anti gunners out there won't allow me to use mine because it has a detachable magazine...***? So let me use a 5 shot clip like Michigan and MOST of the rest of the Country???gun)

Hmmmm...I think that 2 is enough! 1 for Service Rifle comp. (my HBAR) and 1 for fun with the G-kids....altho I may consider a larger caliber upper one day :)
Harvey

I have owned 3 different AR-15 rifles.

First was a Colt in 7.62x39, legal for deer hunting in places that do not allow .22 cal. My least favorite of the three, but it was deadly accurate with good ammo. Recoil is noticeably more than the standard 5.56 AR-15. Colt did not change the magazine to a proper AK type, so you were really stuck with one in the chamber and a couple in the mag for feed reliability. Worthless for self defense, so it got sold.

Next was a gun built from Olympic parts mostly. Heavy SS match 20" barrel 9" twist rate. Had to modify mag well to take Thermold and Orlite mags. Had A2 upper, so mounting a scope was iffy. But it was an accurate rifle and functioned very well. I acquired my third AR-15, which was a flat-top, which I liked better, so the gun got sold.

I still have the third AR-15. It's a real bastard gun, but my favorite by far. It has a HBAR Colt flat-top upper, 20" barrel with 9" twist rate. Colt doesn't make that barrel anymore, which is why I wouldn't buy a new Colt. M855/SS109 is deadly from this twist rate in 20" or longer. The lower is a Spike's Tactical that uses a DPMS lower parts kit installed by me. The buttstock assembly is a standard A2 that I had laying around. Don't remember who made it. Sling is green and from an FN FAL. Upper is Colt gray and lower is black. Scope mount is a Colt single piece quick detach made by B-Square with main body and caps that do not color match. Caps are black, but main body has definite purple tint. Chamber, bore and bolt carrier are hard chromed lined per mil-spec. You can run the gun indefinitely without cleaning if you put a couple of drops of good lube such as M-Pro 7 LPX in the two bolt carrier gas vent holes every couple hundred rounds and keep the fouling soft and oozing out. This gun is a shooter and shoots everything thing I feed it with decent to excellent accuracy. It NEVER has stoppage problems. I would like a nicer trigger, but the gun works and I'm not dinking with it.

I learned from a guy that rents full auto M16 rifles at his range that an AR-15 will run for thousands of rounds without cleaning if you keep them "wet" with lube. Black ooze was literally running out of the M16 rifle I rented, but it functioned flawlessly. The Thompson .45 ACP and Sten submachine gun that the other guys rented were having frequent stoppage problems.

Since you have to keep the gun "wet" with lube if you don't clean it often, not the best gun for blowing sand conditions. However, keeping the bolt cover closed when not firing solves that issue for the most part. In a damp environment where you can keep the bolt carrier liberally lubed, you can hardly ever clean the gun and it will work flawlessly.

I would advise against getting the uppers without a bolt port cover if you intend to be using it in the field under harsh conditions. Might work for a target rifle that is cleaned often. I've never had to use the forward assist to chamber a round, but the intent of that was to allow you to slowly and quietly close the bolt for reasons of stealth and then use the bolt assist to make sure the bolt carrier was fully forward and the bolt rotated fully and locked.

I have seen a couple of upper receivers where the bolt cam pin was left out during reassembly after cleaning. The gun blows up every time, so you better be careful about installing the bolt cam pin. I ALWAYS check for proper bolt rotation and lockup after dinking with the bolt carrier.

YES!!!!!!!!!! First one that I have owned that surves a purpose... Just got a stag armsModel 6 varmint.:D:D But I have yet to figure out what the T2 thru T12 numbers on the scope rail mean?? Any help?? I am sure it si something simple but it has yet to grasp melightbulb

But I have yet to figure out what the T2 thru T12 numbers on the scope rail mean?? Any help?? I am sure it si something simple but it has yet to grasp melightbulb

If you are somebody that switches between lets say a scope and open sights and you are taking your scope on and off, you can document which slot (T2, T3, T4, etc...) you used for the mounts. That way when you re-attach the scope, you're zero should be close (if using quality mounts).

YES!!!!!!!!!! First one that I have owned that surves a purpose... Just got a stag armsModel 6 varmint.:D:D But I have yet to figure out what the T2 thru T12 numbers on the scope rail mean?? Any help?? I am sure it si something simple but it has yet to grasp melightbulb
The T2-T12 mark the slots on the rail for scope positioning purposes.

Harvey/ Ga

If you are somebody that switches between lets say a scope and open sights and you are taking your scope on and off, you can document which slot (T2, T3, T4, etc...) you used for the mounts. That way when you re-attach the scope, you're zero should be close (if using quality mounts).
Thanks guys since it does not have any sights on it I dont think I will be doing much switching from scope to open sights:D