Do You Shoot Rifle Competition?

Do You Shoot Rifle Competition?

• YES

Votes: 661 35.0%
  • NO

Votes: 1,226 65.0%

• Total voters
Just found this searching muzzle breaks I am the range officer at the Thurmont club and hold IBS Benchrest Matches out to 300 yds. I have shot some 600 yd IBS matches.
Just getting into long range hunting
Tcandsc.org in Maryland

Just found this searching muzzle breaks I am the range officer at the Thurmont club and hold IBS Benchrest Matches out to 300 yds. I have shot some 600 yd IBS matches.
Tcandsc.org in Maryland

It's always something with these longrange rifles. I finally got out to 300 yds
and discovered that my scopes parallax adjustment was frozen and won't
move. I guess that's what warranties are for. The club I belong to doesn't start it's long range competition until next month, Weather is still pretty
pretty crappy here with rain and snow every other day or so. Can't wait to get started.

Tcandsc.org in Maryland

Then you would know Eddie Harren. He is building my a new rifle for hunting pigs.

It's always something with these longrange rifles. I finally got out to 300 yds
and discovered that my scopes parallax adjustment was frozen and won't
move. I guess that's what warranties are for. The club I belong to doesn't start it's long range competition until next month, Weather is still pretty
pretty crappy here with rain and snow every other day or so. Can't wait to get started.

That's why I got out of bow hunting. Equipment was to finicky.

Usually it's the Bowhunter who is too finicky. Ever notice how many add on's
we can cram on a bow and still expect it to work to perfection?

The beauty of the bow is that we can always go back to the
stick and string for simplicity.

The rifle scopes are something else. After sending mine back to the factory twice, I think it functions just great. Down to 1 1/4 inch at 100 yds.
If I was 40 years younger I could probably tighten that up.

Practice Practice and practice

I shot NRA and Army level highpower rifle matches for 28 years. Then the Army retired me in 1984 so that ended the Army competition, bur I shot NRA competition until 1990.

Now that I suffer with artritis in the knees and can't jump up and down anymore I have taken up NRA F-Class competition and shoot from 300 yds to 1000 yds. I have three NRA grand senior records and plan on setting some more.

Sounds like fun but competition for me is like a bowling league, just club members shooting against each other. Half of us can't see for shitte anymore anyway.

For me, it's all about fun. Life itself is too serious to take anything else too seriously.

I saw a couple posts back they were talking about bows, something I've watched from afar. My cousin makes his own recurves. He shapes them from Osage Orange wood. Pretty and lethal. He's a darn good shot when it comes to deer.

We have some serious archers at the club, with fancy bows, scopes and all kinds of stuff. I call 'em 'pulley bows' because they remind me of an overhead hoist with all those pulleys.

I shot NRA and Army level highpower rifle matches for 28 years. Then the Army retired me in 1984 so that ended the Army competition, bur I shot NRA competition until 1990.

Now that I suffer with artritis in the knees and can't jump up and down anymore I have taken up NRA F-Class competition and shoot from 300 yds to 1000 yds. I have three NRA grand senior records and plan on setting some more.

Congratulations, ! Sure beats sitting on the easy chair and watching
the boob tube.

I have not shot any rifle competition yet, but am looking forward to the day.
Just finding the right load takes an sighting it in takes a lot of time.
Every time I think I have it figured out, I change something and have to
start over.

Practice, Practice and Practice

Not yet, but our range is putting on a target shoot. It will
be a 6 target, 10 rounds each target, from 600 to 1200 yards.
Shooting is from the prone position.

This shoot will be the 23rd of September at the Cossa
Range in Bend OR.

If I can get it all together, I would like to shoot that one.

Practice, Practice and Practice.

Last edited:
go shoot it no matter how "ready" you feel. You will learn more just jumping in and having fun!
I've done that several times once with a factory gun at a score Benchrest match, Now I'm the range officer for those matches shooting really accurate rifles. Beware though once you get used to them your hunting rifles have to be as accurate.

YES.........."F" CLASS AND HIGH POWER SILHOUETTE......... YOU MEET OTHER HUNTERS...see other equipment....and compare lies........
bill larson