Do You Shoot Rifle Competition?

Do You Shoot Rifle Competition?

• YES

Votes: 661 35.0%
  • NO

Votes: 1,226 65.0%

• Total voters
About 5 years ago got into Egg Shooting. What a blast! Great practice for long range shooting. Basically conducted at 100, 200, or 300 yards. Factory class or custom. You get three relays, each, 10 shots to hit 5 eggs. Best score, 15 eggs for 15 shots. If there is a tie, which is rare at 200 and 300, there is a shoot off with smaller targets like 45 auto cases. Much harder than it seems, particularly if there is wind and mirage. I do about 6-12 of these a year in the off season.

i'm just getting into learning how to shoot long range. so, obviously, i don't compete. how do you get into that? what kind of contests are there? what kind of prizes can you win? are they expensive to enter? what kind of requirements must you meet? i'd be very interested to find out. it may be something i'd like to get in to.

yes, far more than my wife wants me to. i do big bore and small bore handgun silhouette .22's too 100 yds w/ a ruger mk 2 comp. and the bb goes out to 200 yds i use a xp-100 rechambered to 7mm laser,it is a little longer than the br with the double raidus shoulders . it shoots better than i do, but it got me into the international class in my first year. we also do a prarie dog match which is mainly a 100,200,and 300 yd benchrest match . then we have a tactical match on a local farm which starts at 100 yds and goes out to 800 yds.they are all fun, but the most challenging for me is the tac match i generaly do well, but some days the wind can realy kick your butt. i think the best aspect of our local matches is the people, we have some realy good shooters who dont mind giving advice when you ask. my gunsmith, Jeff walker of walker custom rifles shoots with us, and his guns always dominate the match. he is a 1k br shooter and specializes in extremely accurate bolt guns anyone interested in a high quality custom gun for hunting or competition would do well to contact him @www.walkercustomrifles.com. he has built two for me so far and if i do my part they are hard to beat my .308 groups in the.1's or better and the 223 does about the same.

keep shootin god knows i aint gonna quit till im dead

mike c.gun)

No I don't but I would like to. I have no idea on the first place to start for associations or competitions. Any good suggestions?

No I don't but I would like to. I have no idea on the first place to start for associations or competitions. Any good suggestions?
Here is the list of IBS scheduled 600 and 1000 yard matches.

http://internationalbenchrest.com/schedule/long_range.php

Closest to you would be Ft. Pierre, SD, others are Grand Island, NE and Harris, MN. Go to one of the matches and see if it interests you. Ft. Pierre and G. I. offer a factory class.

James

F-Class open 30-06 and 6.5x47.

Also shoot 1000 yard light and heavy rifle. Though my rifle only weighs 12 pounds.

It's fun to beat the heavy rifle guys at their own game with a factory action.

I got involved in 1000 yd bench rest this summer for the first time. I was really just looking for a place to hold some shooting schools for The Best of the West and the closest range was the Harry Davis Memorial club in W. Va. about 30 miles from home. Joined the club and shot my 6.5-284 ground hog gun just to see ... Big mistake- shot a 4.12 inch 5 shots and am now hooked. Didn't win anything except maybe a little respect for Huskamaw and am meeting a lot of great guys.
There is much to be learned from these guys that applies to long range hunting especially when it comes to reloading. Am now working on a real gun for next years matches!! Looking foreward to seeing everyone next season .

Phil Conklin Shooting instructor for The Best of the West

I try to shoot matches all the time, but unfortunately, I put them on and that makes it tough to shoot in them. We are a practical rifle match. Distances from 100ish to under 1100yds. We even hold matches at night. I really wish I could shoot more matches? Luckily in Az, there is some form of firearm match on every weekend and two long range precision matches a month.

No, not yet, still waiting on delivery of my new rifle. I expect to get active
this coming summer. As for now I am just accumulating the goodies I will
need.

1Hunter

Recent Posts