Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

• YES

Votes: 1,117 51.8%
  • NO

Votes: 1,041 48.2%

• Total voters
Started out with floor plates and back when I hunted everyday and never unloaded my rifle I liked them. I have gradually gotten more into mag fed and detachable mag guns in my 700 bolts and ARs. I like the single feed design in my bolts as it seems to help make feeding a bit smoother and surer than staggered feed designs. For depredation on deer and hogs I definitely prefer higher capacity detachable with at least 10 rounds. Often I'll use detachable 20s to add a bit of rifle weight And limit mag changes in high opportunity situations. With the brand of Grendel mag I use the 20s are curved and much more reliable than the 15s. The AR10 gets 10s or 20s. But it's much easier to handle and manipulate with 10s.

It depends on the gun, and the circumstances. If I'm hunting from a blind with a short walk then I prefer a mag. If I'm hiking, and have to go through any thickets then a flush bottom plate is nice so it doesn't snag. As long as the mag is fairly flush with the bottom then it doesn't matter much. None of that extended mag for me when it comes to hunting.

If you have a good rifle and GOOD mag release system i would say yes. You can carry two mags with different loads and switch out while hunting for different game. I have a few hunting rifles and always carry an extra mag in my pack. I also keep at least (3) cartridges for each my most used hunting rifles in my pack. Just wrapped up in a little package so mot much space or weight taken up. That way if you ever forget to bring bullets on a hunt, you have at least (3) to keep the hunt going. My dad used to take the Butt Plate of off every one of his rifles and stick a few bullets in the Screw Hole in the stock that holds the stock on the rifle! He told me if he ever got lost or stranded he would always have a few extra bullets on hand.

I like light stuff when hunting. And I don't see the cost of extra mags being worth it. They are heavier and they basically double the cost of a BDL setup because you can't just have one mag, you most deff need at least 2. In case you lose one. Which brings me to the next point. Single feeding sucks, under pressure with nothing to catch the round. Floor plate pros outweigh DBM pros for a hunting rifle IMO.