What Upper Limit of Power Do you Prefer On Your Rifle Scope?

What Upper Limit of Power Do You Prefer On Your Variable Power Rifle Scope?

Votes: 182 8.6%
  • 11-16

Votes: 698 32.9%
  • 17-24

Votes: 922 43.5%
  • Over 24

Votes: 319 15.0%

• Total voters
i like to use 20x when target is long distance. my mil-dot scope ranges at 10x but long range ranging is easier on 20x, just need to half the reading.

Without getting into a long drawn out reason for the best power range "FOR ME" I would say
that the 4.5x14x50 is the most usable of all the combinations.

I hunt with a spotting scope and don't need more power than a 4.5 x 14.

I do have 6x18s to 8.5x25s but they are on rifles that are not all around hunting guns.

Anything more than 4.5 lower and 14 to16 upper power comes with its own problems
so I like the power mentioned the best.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Without getting into a long drawn out reason for the best power range "FOR ME" I would say

I hunt with a spotting scope and don't need more power than a 4.5 x 14.

I do have 6x18s to 8.5x25s but they are on rifles that are not all around hunting guns.

Anything more than 4.5 lower and 14 to16 upper power comes with its own problems
so I like the power mentioned the best.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

+1 I like the higher power 20-25 for shooting targets but if it's stricktly a hunting rig I like the lower power 14 or so.

Nathan

I prefer 12+ especially for the Pronghorn. Where I go it's a min 4 mi hump in, and I don't always like to take the binos.

A guy once told me them speed goats have 12X eyeballs. I use 12 to remind me that they can see that far, that well.

It's also nice to double check before you put the lights out, make sure those antlers aren't too long, or browtines are long enough.

J E CUSTOM

I couldn't agree more. Most hunting situations, most distances, 14 to 16 is plenty, without being too much.

I've recently (last fall) got into shooting beyond 700 yds. Did quite a bit of shooting/spotting from 700 out to 950. 20X-22X was really working good for the 700-950 stuff, but anything higher power than that just had too small field of view and too much interference from mirage. Even when acting as the spotter, I found myself turning the power on the spotting scope down to around 20 most of the time.

Last edited:
I like the March 5-50x56... Also like the schmidt and bender 12-50x56 I just wish it would go down to a lower power.

For me a good buddy with another rifle with a scope is much more useful than a spotting scope. for long range stuff i like high powered optics. For example My .300 wm doesn't get out of the case for less than 300 yards (except to verify zero). Of course my scopes ranging power is max power (22) and since I walk my target out to a random spot range it and them calculate my ballistics that is to say i never practice at known distances. So really I never find the need to dial it down from 22 after i get my range. I practice how I fight/hunt I can almost do the calculations in my head ranging with mil dots, and of course my mil dot master makes it idiot proof.

I always lived by aim small shoot small. at 100 yards watching that reticle jump with every heart beat is crazy. I still haven't mastered firing between beats yet. I am losing weight and getting in better shape which really helps.

They say shooting is most mental and that's true but being in shape really helps.

Hi it all depends ont he rifle for my lightweight hunting rifles 10 power is enough at the top end with my long range hunting or extreme range shooting the 5-25 premier is just awsome but for F Class out to 1500 yards and soon a mile i cant beat the 10-60X52 AMrch long range scope it has 60moa so i can shoot my 7mm to a mile and i use it regularly at 60 power when the mirrage is flowing and the glass quality makes all the difference if you run it against a Nightforce at 42 power the merrage is easier to see through on 60 power it all comes back to the glass.

Cheers Bill

The upper limit for magnification is set for me by air quality. Fog, smoke, rain and dust pretty much put an end to any glass or magnification ability. 12X is my most commonly used. The problems associated with LR shooting never have been "hold", for hunting. Always will be field of view, to see what the wind is up to. Shooting about 20% out of focus to get a good view of the bullet in flight is also a real big bonus. long tube variable 16X with good focus is a cats meow. They can keep all the short tubes that require my neck to grow 2 inches longer to use on the upper magnifications.

Depends on what I'm doing.

Big game: 10, maybe 15

Long range Varmint: 15-20

Extreme stuff(shooting at chicken eggs at 1000yds): 20+

My budget determines what I may magnify too. Currently 4.5x14. And I typically use the 14 for spotting only, if I don't have the spotting scope with me. My normal setting is between 6 to 10. But after being on this sight for a while, I realized I don't know squat anyway. Peope on this site know more about what works best, I can only speak for what I do (which is probably wrong) just ask my wife!

My favorite is the 6-24x50
I have one of these on my 30-30 and I have a hard time seeing my hits at 200 or more yards. I am looking at a 10-40X50 to put on my new Marlin X7VH to use at 500 or more yards. Will this work?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.