Do You Own An AR15 Rifle?

• YES

Votes: 1,851 58.7%
  • NO

Votes: 927 29.4%
  • I am planning to get one

Votes: 373 11.8%

• Total voters
Personally, I like the Armalite AR 180 Howa better. I've read where some AR manufacurers are going back to the gas operating rod system due to the problems with the std AR gas system. I only wish the AR 180's had a 1:9" twist bbl.

Most AR companies are starting to make piston ARs. Some companies are making piston conversion kits. It's really a 6 of one half dozen of the other type deal. I'm going to buy a Stag Arms model 8 in the next month or so. The advantage of the the piston system is that the heat and fouling doesn't go back to the bolt carrier group, making that portion of the firearm easier to clean. The piston system does weigh more. Some models are heavier than others. Plus most of the manufacturers are charging about a $500 premium for the piston variety. Stag's offering weighs about 4 oz. more and costs about $200. Plus they make it in left hand, and that is the model that I'm going to get. For you TNPers out there, 2nd kind of cool.

Stag Arms

YouTube - Gunblast.com - Stag Arms Model 8 Gas-Piston 5.56mm Carbine

If you get a chance check this guy out he does gun/knife reviews. He has a pretty sweet youtube channel.

YouTube - Piston vs DI Dilemma: "The AR-15 Gas Choice" by Nutnfancy

Last edited:
Sure do. Stag Model 6 Super Varminter. 556/223 1in 8 24" tack driving machine!! Topped with a Vortex Viper 4x12x40 Dead hold BDC. Ragged holes at 100 and 3holes touching at 200 (50 & 55grain Vmax w/ benchmark powder)gun)

I had 2 , gladly gave my M4 to my son (USAF - MP) . Considering another upper, Olympic .243wssm . Like .223 , but the 300 yd effective range bothers me . Always liked .243 speed / energy for coyotes. The gas piston system is great , but remember- it worked for 10? years in Nam and invented for FULL Auto M16. Suddenly , every sportsman has to have one ? Ever sportsman/ shooter is getting into a fire fight protecting his home ? I don't own guns for protection . I love hunting. They just so happen to be their if I need them. For Colt luvers - Colt is not the only CNC machine in the world . Bushmaster makes more AR 's than any, Springfield knows ever molecule of the 1911. Colt is a status symbol , thats all.
lightbulb

Carried the M16 in the Military, first the A1 and CAR15 then the A2. Never thought I'd own one but when the piston uppers and different calibers came out that changed my mind.

I have a Bushmaster AR15 Heavy Barrel and thinking about an upper in 6.5 Grendel.

My other thought is a AR 10 type in .308, .260 or 338 Federal or all three at some point. Thes would go well with my M21 and Savage in .308

One does not have to be scared to own an AR. I am former military, a shooter and collector of fine firearms. I also hunt with mine. I even own an AK just because. I still have several of the rounds I took off of Grenada and the 7.62x39 round that hit my vest in Panama.

Live and let live, but don't dare look down your nose at anyones choice.

I had 2 , gladly gave my M4 to my son (USAF - MP) . Considering another upper, Olympic .243wssm . Like .223 , but the 300 yd effective range bothers me . Always liked .243 speed / energy for coyotes. The gas piston system is great , but remember- it worked for 10? years in Nam and invented for FULL Auto M16. Suddenly , every sportsman has to have one ? Ever sportsman/ shooter is getting into a fire fight protecting his home ? I don't own guns for protection . I love hunting. They just so happen to be their if I need them. For Colt luvers - Colt is not the only CNC machine in the world . Bushmaster makes more AR 's than any, Springfield knows ever molecule of the 1911. Colt is a status symbol , thats all.
lightbulb
Hmmmm...Colt may be a status symbol today, but when I bought my HBAR (1986) it was the only decent gun out there. It consistently shoots MOA or a tad less at 600 yards from the bench with 16x scope, and my junior shooters have scored in the mid 190's at 1000 yards (Camp Perry)....80 grain JLK-VLD bullets, of course :D.
It has the factory chrome barrel, but trigger, sights and handguard from Compass Engineering. After 5000+ rounds, it still shoots very competitively.

Also have a Rock River mid-length carbine for the smaller G-kids who can't handle the heavier HBAR...it shoots almost as well.

I've often wondered about the various 6mm and 6.5mm chamberings for the AR, but having so much for the 223, and the greater cost of them, I just let it pass. Regrettably, retired life doesn't allow the "wild" spending I once indulged in.

Harvey/ Ga

Well guys I wanted to see where this was going lots of info here. I submit my rifles for vewing. I owned about 8 diffrent rifles before I settled on the LMT for myself. The light weight rifle I built for my wife to shoot.

LMT MRP Piston top and my wifes light weight Daniel Defence middy at bottom.
0015.jpg

Sure do. Stag Model 6 Super Varminter. 556/223 1in 8 24" tack driving machine!! Topped with a Vortex Viper 4x12x40 Dead hold BDC. Ragged holes at 100 and 3holes touching at 200 (50 & 55grain Vmax w/ benchmark powder)gun)

Hmmmm...try some of the heavier bullets. I shoot mine with 75-80 grainners out to 1000 yards. Berger may make some heavy, hi-BC hunting types.gun)

I bought a Bushmaster lower and put a 16" DPMS flat top upper on it. For now I threw a cheap BSA red dot on it. I just shot it today and was very impressed. Amazingly, without even bore sighting it I shot within a couple inches of POA at 25 yards. Made a slight adjustment and shot pretty good at 100 yards.