Do You Own An AR15 Rifle?

• YES

Votes: 1,851 58.7%
  • NO

Votes: 927 29.4%
  • I am planning to get one

Votes: 373 11.8%

• Total voters
Started using my Whitely 6MM AR for 300 yard eggs shoots. Any AR is allowed in factory class. Competes well with the bolt guns with this set up. .25 MOA and holds the wind very well with 107 Sierras. Easy to load, easy on brass, and feeds flawlessly. The upper is on a Bushmaster lower with a Jewel Trigger at 2.5#.

PS. Got hooked on eggs shoots several years ago. Lots of fun, much harder then it looks, and good long range practice in the off season.

Started using my Whitely 6MM AR for 300 yard eggs shoots. Any AR is allowed in factory class. Competes well with the bolt guns with this set up. .25 MOA and holds the wind very well with 107 Sierras. Easy to load, easy on brass, and feeds flawlessly. The upper is on a Bushmaster lower with a Jewel Trigger at 2.5#.

PS. Got hooked on eggs shoots several years ago. Lots of fun, much harder then it looks, and good long range practice in the off season.
never done a egg shoot, sounds like fun.

I don't have one currently. I walk around with an M4 all day, back home I sell them and can 'borrow' one when ever I like, so it's kind of hard to buy one. I am thinking of setting one up for three gun competition though.

I'm very interested in the 6mm AR - more so than the .204 - got any good links for it?

Not a tack driver like the 223's but it has a lot more punch too. And I'm trying to fix the awful DPMS trigger too... This is my carbine in 7.62x39 shooting 1970 Yugo ammunition.

DPMS-with-Nikon-3-12-scope.jpg

I'm very interested in the 6mm AR - more so than the .204 - got any good links for it?

Brad
Sorry I missed your question back in June. You can get a lot of info on the 6mmAr on 6mm AR Home Page. You can also find info on it on the 6mmBR site. Robert Whitely has designed the system and it delivers exactly to his claims, even better. My set up has a Nightforce bench rest 8x32 on it and consistently groups in a quarter MOA. Great caliber. I'm getting 2775 fps with 105 Bergers. A lot faster if you go down to 85 or 90gr. in bullet weight. I'm at 10 reloads with Lapua brass and still ok. Very easy to set up. Just run 6.5 Grendal brass through his custom Redding dye and your done. Performs very close to a 6BR...about 100fps less velocity.

I replaced the same scope on my AR with the 3-12 Nikon Monarch. I need a bit more magnification for my eyes, yet at the low end I can go nearly as low. The Nikon also has side focus to reduce parallax at all ranges and I can fit target turrets if I want.

The only hassle is the charging handle. I have no idea why the designer didn't simply use a left side reciprocating charging handle. The rear handle is an ergonomics nightmare. That alone means I will probably have to get a different upper and a match barrel along with a piston kit.

I put on a gunslinger tac latch and it helps a great deal on the charging handle. never have shot opportunities beyond 150 yards so the 2-7 works for now. If I go out west may have to bump up to the 3-9.

I replaced the same scope on my AR with the 3-12 Nikon Monarch. I need a bit more magnification for my eyes, yet at the low end I can go nearly as low. The Nikon also has side focus to reduce parallax at all ranges and I can fit target turrets if I want.

The only hassle is the charging handle. I have no idea why the designer didn't simply use a left side reciprocating charging handle. The rear handle is an ergonomics nightmare. That alone means I will probably have to get a different upper and a match barrel along with a piston kit.

My dream machine :
images

DPMS LAR upper receiver with left side only charging handle (ambi shown in the pic)

MGI Hydra lower receiver that directly takes AK47 magazines and solves the C Products reliability issue

Clamp-on-Mid-Length-Piston-Conversion-.936-Barrel1500-2518.jpg

Rifle length piston kit (will require modifying LAR bolt carrier) or the one above to take the reciprocating charging handle.

no-one seems to be making a match barrel for the 7.62x39, so that is a bit of a tough one. The chamber on my 16" dpms is a bit loose (diameter). I would love a 20" to 24" match barrel and skip the muzzle break.

That leaves the usual choices regarding stock and pistol grip.

Attachments

• MGI Hydra.jpg
    MGI Hydra.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 17

Recent Posts