Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 887 49.7%
  • No, I don't shoot over 300 yards.

Votes: 162 9.1%
  • No, but I really should use one.

Votes: 737 41.3%

• Total voters

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level? There are quite a few different ones available now with various mounting methods. A slightly canted rifle will cause a bullet to impact way off course at significant distances.

Canting can be a problem even with a flat shooting cartridge such as the 7mm Dakota that I use. I fire a Cauterucio 176 grain VLD bullet (BC = .750) at 3,150 fps. In Montana next month at 2,000 feet and 40 degrees, this bullet will reach 1,000 yards in 19 minutes of adjustment. That's pretty flat.

Now picture a 6 degree canting error. That is one minute on a clock. Stand in front of a clock and place a long straight edge up against the face of the clock. Place one end of the stick at the clock's center and rotate the other end until it rests on the "14 minutes after the hour" position on the clock. That is all the cant error it takes to be 6 degrees.

According to Loadbase ballistic software , my bullet will be off at 700 yards by 12 inches to one side and an insignificant amount low.

Scope Levels at the LRH Gear Shop

How Canting Your Rifle Affects Long Range Accuracy
By Carl Taylor

Last edited:
Yes, I have them on most of my rifles and it has become part of the process for each shot at all distances. I check it right before I start the trigger pull.

Jeff

Yes, in all of my rifles.
I do not press the trigger if I do not checked the level.
You will be surprised to see how off you are from the level without it.

I'm very ****ed off if my hunting/shooting partner don't have one.

You don't need a level. Been shooting long range out to 1200yds since 1992 and have absolutely no problem shooting a moa target out to 1200yds without ever checking any kind of level. I can get hit after hit from shooting off of a pack and never have even thought of a stupid level. I practice long range marksmanship taught from my time in the Marines and see this level crap is a joke. As long as you are not shooting sideways like a gangbanger holding up the quick shop you aren't going to have a problem.

because my long range hunting rifle and target rifle are one and the same, i do use the level.

center mass shots on big game may not be as precise of a shot as say, trying to hit a 10x at several hundred yard ranges. on paper the level comes more into play than on game due to trying to get every point you can.

now i'm not implying that on game that every effort to make an ethical precise shot should not be employed, it's just that the vital area of say a whitetail at 600 yards is much bigger (8" perhaps larger depending on how you look at it) than most competition bull's eyes.

Couldn't vote in the poll it needs another option 4) No...

I do not shoot big game beyond 500 yards so No I do not want or need a level...

Actually it needs 5 options. 5th one being a level is a gimic unless you shoot 1000yd benchrest; and even then it is kind of stupid and not at all needed if you simply focus on your reticle.

my191145, sounds like you do alot of 1000 yard benchrest competiton. What ones have you been competing in and how'd you do?

A hunting load in a 30-06 zeroed at 100 yards, when canted 12° may shoot 2 feet to the right at 600 yards and about 9 feet at 1000 yards.Canting is a reality that many choose to ignore, which is perfectly alright! :)

beante.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts