Defensive Edge brakes

Installing them on a CF barrel is no problem. I do not recommend removing them. If you take them on and off very much they will lose their timing in reguard to port position. I can provide a thread cap but again am not real big on brake removal.

Have you ever heard of Montana muzzle brakes? They claim an extra ammount of velocity and they produce in one incident for sure.Several friends of mine have these brakes and we tested one against my rifle which is a .338/300 RUM with 30" barrel the friends was a 28" barrel with identical brass and load it bested mine by over 100fps there is something to it.(friends rifle identical cartridge)

Were the barrel lengths the same I would agree totally.And knowing that both rifles shot within a few feet per second before the addition of the Montana brake I think the folks making the brake are on to something.The method you state would be the best test...

While I have seen some freebore boost from a break or suppressor it usually only amounted to 30 fps or so. A 100 fps seems like an awful lot, if it is a consistant gain they may be on to something.

S2,

Where can you find this brake I'd like to have a look at one. I can not think of any way it is possible to gain 100 fps with a break. Then again I don't know everything either.

Why not make an entire barrel from these things, think of the velocity you could get /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

edge.

Sniper2,

Here's an example. Your 338 and my 338 are pretty much identical except that your's shoots better and is way faster.

Difference is mine is CM bbl and Holland brake.

225 Hor 94gr 7828:
Yours - 3204
Mine - 3098

250 Sierra Game King 98gr H-1000:
Yours - 3010
Mine - 2885

If I'd use your 100gr RL-25/250 SBT load mine there would be some horrendous results. Mine maxes out at 94.5gr and 3006 fps.....

I guess that the message is "Don't leave yours where I can see it. I'll trade you even up with out you knowing it and you'll really be ticked!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Probably the speed difference in our barrels can be attributed to mine having free bore...My barrel has a brake designed by the late R.L.Matthews a master machinist and outstanding gunsmith he like the fellows on this forum was dead intent on accuracy and was an outstanding shooter himself...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.