Defensive Edge muzzlebrakes

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
I have had so many requests for break pics I thought I would post them to avoid repeat emails. The pic below is my 3 standard breaks, .750", .875", 1.000". The .750 is threaded 1/2-28 tpi, the other 2 are threaded 5/8-24 tpi. The second photo is of a blank and a finished .875 to fit a Sendero.
MUZZLEBRAKEBANKSX3.JPG

MUZZLEBRAKEBLANK1IN.JPG

If you look closely at the above photo you will note the ports are closer to the top of the break than the bottom this gives the proper amount of down thrust (very little) to keep the rifle level during recoil. Looking at the break from the top the rib is narrower than the bottom.
SNAKESKIN2.JPG

Here you see the .750" break installed on a standard or packing weight long range rifle.

BREAKSWEB3.JPG

Here is the 1.25" 5 port break.

On the bigger no taper barrels and huge case capacities I add the 5th slot. On huge capacities it helps. On no taper barrels for bench style rifles it helps enough to allow shooting free recoil in most cases. I have switched between 4 and 5 port on the same rifle and been able to tell the difference. The first 3 make the big difference but the additional ports do help some.

Here is a DE four port brake installed on a 7mm-270WSM XP-100 that was built by Kirby.

APS%20XP-100-1.JPG

Here is a video of the brake in action. The "handgun" is shooting a 162gr A-Max at 2825fps.
XP-100 Recoil Video

The XP-100 in a factory .221 Fireball configuration has much more muzzle flip than the WSM w/ the DE brake installed.

Re: Defensive Edge rifle finish

Hi Shaun, What is the 'matt green' finish you have used on the rifle pictured to show your muzzle breaks? I've been getting my stainless barrels bead blasted to reduce their reflectivity, but I find after some field use they stain badly. At this stage my only option is to teflon coat my hunting rifles. Nice gear mate, wish we had more stuff like this in Oz.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.