Defensive Edge 257 WBY

Qzilla

Well, now that I have several days shooting this rifle I can give it a review.

I now have about 60rds through the tube not inlcuding the break in rounds and I am quite pleased.

Rifle is based on a Rem 700 action with a Jewel Trigger. This action started life as a RMEF 300 RUM and it never shot worth a dang no matter what we did to it. I hated it and I am a 257 WBY fanatic so I decided to have Shawn build it.

So here is the run down:

Rem 700
Jewek HVR
Hart 27" #4 Fluted Chambered without the excess freebore
DE Brake makes barrel 29" overall
HS Precision Box Mag and Bottom Metal
Borden-Rimrock stock in "Cactuflage"
Nightforce 5.5-22X56 NP-R2

I am shooting 74gr of H1000 with Fed 215 primers , 100gr Accubond at a COL of 3.248". This nets an average 10 shot string of 3488 FPS with an extreme spread of 11 FPS.

I have only shot out to 500 yards and my best group has been 1.9". My average 5 shot, 500 yard group has been 2.23". Most of it is me getting used to the gun and the fact that I do dot have a great table or rest to shoot from right now. All groups were shot allowing the barrel to cool between each rd. I have shot 4 groups at 500 yards at this time and I plan on improving that.

At 100 yards I have a best 3 shot group of .322 with a 5shot average of .445".

At 200 yards I am averaging. .669" 5 shot groups.

At 300 yards I only shot 1-5 shot group and it was .987"

I also only shot 1-400 yard group and it was 1.25"

I am measuring the outside of the holes and then subtracting the bullet diameter. I think this is the standard way to do that but, not sure?

I am really pleased with these numbers considering I have only played with 1 powder and 1 bullet. I am pretty certain the gun will shoot better than me right now. At the 500 yard targets I am still not rock steady as I am getting used to the light weight gun.

I really do not plan on shooting it any further than 500-600 yards at the very max as I do not think it has enough juice to knock anything too large down at that range. I like bang-flops not bang-trails!!! I was really suprised it shot as well as it did at 500 yards and I will shoot it further to see at what point it starts to deteriorate. To me it seems that the further I shoot it the better it shoots? That fairytale has to stop somewhere right?

The gun came in at just under 9lbs with scope. I am sure it is around 10lbs with a bipod and box full of ammo. It sure feels like its a lot lighter than my 15.8lb 338 EDGE! My Edge is still my go to long range rifle but, this is a handy packing rifle.

I wanted to take a few pictures before I torment the rifle the rest of the year hunting with it. I hunt a lot and hunt hard so my hunting stuff tends to get a "hunted with" look to it!!!

Thanks for another great shooting rifle Shawn!

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

Very nice! How is the recoil with that DE brake? Just curious.
1kstr

Richard Graves makes some 130 grain HP RBBTs you might want to try. I assume the barrrel is 1-10 twist but it might like them being as you have a nice throat.

There is basically no recoil. Well, I do not notice any and my wife likes shooting it.

I also had him install one on my Mom's 257 WBY and she is tiny and she has no problems shooting it!

Buffalobob,

I am very interested in playing with some of his larger bullets but, I was curious how they work on animals? Are they a thick jacketed bullet or will the expand? What about at close ranges?

I do not know how they perform. I got lots of bullets, some dies, some brass, a scope, some rings, but I got no barrel yet.:mad:

They are built on the J4 jacket so I assume the behave just like the 115 Berger does in the 240 Wby or the 200 grain Wildcat does in the the 7AM. They certainly better work because the barrel is being built specifically for them.

Very nice gun you have there and in one of my all time favorite round the 257wby! I too have a 338EDGE BUT it is being built as we speak on a Stiller action with a 32" pipe! Hopefully it will be here by Xmas!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.