Sendero and Defensive Edge brake

grit

Wanted to post as a thanks to Shawn. I recently purchased a Sendero in 300wm. I sent it to Shawn of Defensive Edge to put one of his brakes on. He did the work when he said he would, at a great price. And, it looks great.

Finally got a scope mounted and got to shoot today. The brake works great. Turned the 300wm into a 243, maybe less.

It got windy. So, I didn't get to see how the rifle shot. **** good lookin' rig though, with a nice feal.

Thanks Shawn, Lorenzo

I to just purchased a Sendero. A used 338 RUM and it definitely needs a brake. Been putting KDF brakes on my rifles, they seem to work just fine. Been hearing quite a bit bout the Defensive Edge brake, maybe I'll give it a try. What kind ot turn around did Shawn give you.

The baffle style brakes are more efficent than the ones with the holes , and their are some differant styles of both some have several chamberes and some only have one. I reciantly had a 260 built by Nate Dagley and I chose his brake over several others because of the desgine , his has baffles that are shaped like a V so that they actualy have more surface area to help "strip" off the gas , this brake should work better than a regular baffle style brake at least IN THEORY because of the increased surface area. I have yet to shoot it but I'm sure with the weight of the gun and the caliber with the brake it shoulden't move much if any. You can see Nate's brake on his web page thats in my signature box below.

I'm not taking anything away from Shawn's brake as I'm sure it works great , just in my little mind the V-port desgine should be more efficent.

Alot also hase to do with the round thats being shot through it , for instance a 308 and a 30-378wby build on the exact same guns , if the measue the recoil of each without a brake and then with a brake the 308 will have a lower percentage of recoil that was reduced meaning that the brake "seems" less effective , this is due the massive amout of gas thats produced with the big weatherby case , their is so much more gas = recoil to be stripped off by the brake that its going to have a greater percintage of recoil reduced.

after reading that it doesen't make nearly as much sense as it did when I was typing it , sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

just in my little mind the V-port desgine should be more efficent.

i don't really agree with this statement.let me also say that the difference would be very small and probably not worth talking about but this stuff is what makes us all tick.

the V shaped ports would have more surface area to vent gases away so it would reduce more recoil. however to get this you have to make the brake a little longer. not quite apples to apples.the other function that reduces recoil is the forward push of the gases hitting the baffles.in this regard, the V shape would be less efficient as they are not perpendicular to the bore.

all in all you'd be hard pressed to say one would reduce more recoil than the other, my guess is they're pretty much even.

Bearless,
First, I read your post about the little bear. Maybe we should call you almost bearless.

Next, Shawn told me two weeks. And, did what he said. Other smiths I talked to told me, "I dunno, two weeks, four weeks, I'm real busy". Refreshing to see a guy produce a good product, and have good customer service.

Hope you try one.

Thanks for the e-mail
When I was registering for this forum and needed a username, I must of had that hunt on my mind!!
I'll probably send Shawn my rifle. You have the one shown on his site with the V shape slots. How does it match the finish on your Sendero??
Phil

This is a four slot brake on my 7AM. It works great.

7brake.jpg

Dave,
First of all I will agree with you 100% that the recoil reduction differeance between the two brakes would be almost un-noticable. about the "V" brake needing to be longer, that is not neccessaraly true at most they would need to be .1 longer. Maybe if they were triangles,yes but the V's have no more distance between the baffles than the straight baffles. The smith that fits the brake to the barrel can change the length more than the V's would change the length. I will also disagree with you to a point on the straight baffles being more efficiant as they are perpendicular to the bore, while the bullet is plugging the hole in the first port, the gas is forced to meet my angled V's perpendicularly. The v also helps to direct more gas and make the forward baffles more efficeiant... if this makes any sense. I am not saying this is any better than straight baffles, but it does work amazingly well.
I have about 15 of my "V" brakes out on customers rifles and they all have been very excited about the recoil reduction they have received form my "V" brake.

I had a good discussion with Barney Lawton about muzzle brake designs and he deals with a lot of large bore ,large cases and he feels the Holland style brake lets too much gas out in the first baffle thus making the further out baffles less efficeiant, He talked about a gas chamber with small holes for takingthe first bit of gas off anf then going with ports starting with maybe 1/8 ,3/16,1/4 and then 3/8 for the last baffle. He claims they work awesome, and I won't argue,but it did get me thinking about my V brake, starting with an 1/8 v then 3/16 then 1/4 and then maybe finishing with a 5/16.

And yes, if we said "this is good enough" where would we be today? again I am not claiming my V brakes are any better than straight baffle brakes. I will also say I have heard nothing but good about Shawn and his brakes.
FWIW,
308nate

the length of the 3/16 x4 baffles brake is 1.6 from muzzle. The 1/4" three baffle is 1.55 from the muzzle. (just for referance)

JJ2-1.jpg

jb375hh4.jpg

Sorting it out.
JD-Thought your post was referring to Defensive edge brakes. So I've been on Nate's web site and e-mailing Shawn.
Do you think we were confused a bit??
What is the deal on the brake in the pic--SSG.."Vaporizer"

Hey bearless , I'm sorry aboutthat if I induced and cunfusion. I can picture Shawn now thinking "whats this guy talking about?"

I've heard that th Ops.Inc brake works prety well and it hase one huge chamber and baffle than one smaller one.
I think that the big tank style brake the JP Enterprises makes would probably be the most effective but if sure is ugly/

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts