New .338 Cal-210gr Hammer HHT

I have not seen a brown bear arrowed, but if they are like the rest of the bears I have seen, you still don't know what your gonna get. The one thing you do know with a bow is that weather they spin, roll, or run, even with a good hit you have a supercharged bear for 1 to 5 minutes and a poor hit just leaves you with a supercharged bear. I do have some test media in mind in the form of 600 plus pound boar pigs you can find at the auction pretty cheap, but that is alot to deal with so it will be a small sample. I am in the speed kills camp, but for this application I want to make sure I also have enough momentum in the shank to smash what it hits all the way through. I am certain I am overthinking this, but I have the time to prep so down the hole we go.
Those old boars make great bullet testing material.....just don't try to eat one

Gday quintus
Thanks for the reply fordy, and good day to you,
. The bear part of this is the real trick. Couple of things to note.
I will not be the archer so shot angle could be any. I have not seen a brown bear arrowed, but if they are like the rest of the bears I have seen, you still don't know what your gonna get. The one thing you do know with a bow is that weather they spin, roll, or run, even with a good hit you have a supercharged bear for 1 to 5 minutes and a poor hit just leaves you with a supercharged bear. I do have some test media in mind in the form of 600 plus pound boar pigs you can find at the auction pretty cheap, but that is alot to deal with so it will be a small sample. I am in the speed kills camp, but for this application I want to make sure I also have enough momentum in the shank to smash what it hits all the way through. I am certain I am overthinking this, but I have the time to prep so down the hole we go.
I look forward to that as others will I'm sure thanks for the heads up & another part of the equation I'm out of my depth on so thanks for the time to explain a few more of the traits one needs to look for 👍

Smash all the way through I like that & one i totally agree & where a lot of people overlook what a pill actually does take a true solid
The woodleigh hydro & ceb 13
The hydro won't penetrate as deep as a the ceb & I like the ceb but it's not on par with the hydro due to its wound channel yet they both smash through just one does a better job
& I don't need to penertrate 2 buffalo as the ceb will do but the hydro will one & that's why I like those better as it's in impact to tip that's shown the hydro to be a bit better in the ones I've used ( still room for improvement on those & working on that for some time now but another time as I better not derail anymore lol )

So moving back on target 🤪
I was chatting to my mate on these 338 pills last night ( went against my own advice & talked /theorised way past midnight so I maybe off with the fairies as all I did was tick the rest of the so called sleep time 😥 )

On the pills we have available
The 220&210 L2R
607EB8F5-0794-4F64-A73C-00FA3E567E97.jpeg
You may get the same or extremely close to the velocity of the 210 with the 220 due to bearing surface
Here's a pic ( his as he is doing some more testing with these pills before one gets the nod of which pill will be used in a bear & he is cutting it extremely fine as the plane is warming up 😜 yep the way I like it live on the edge 🤣

So I'm sure he is going to whittle down those 2 ( he has 3 but that other pill won't cut it for this encounter we think but been wrong before so yes he's testing that one also ) & a bear awaits the outcome 🤞

the other part of this equation to come will be asiatic as those suckers will show up a pills differences but that's a bit off yet as way to much water up there @ present & need to wait for the dry season

So between what you , my mate & ive got planned ( others don't be shy all data welcome) eventually the picture will be come clearer
& that's where I like to theorise myself to see if I'm on the right path or not & how I learn
It's just how I challenge myself to is there a better pill 🤷‍♂️ that will be worked out once enough critters are taken

Cheers

If I recall; Mind isn't what it used to be, and I don't have his books/articles any more. Bob Hagel used the 210 Partition on Brown Bear a bit. I think exits weren't unusual.

My experience with the older Partitions is driven hard the nose would come off (one of the reasons I like Hammer's). The 210 Partition didn't have much ahead of the partition, and I would expect the 210 Hammer to provide at least similar results.

I could be wrong, and welcome any memory refreshing.

Hey guys, we got the first of the lighter weight .338 cal Hammer HHT's done. At 210gr this is a great combo for any of the 338's. And it's the first Hammer marketed with our new tip color! I'm leaving on May 4th for Africa and I still plan to be the first guy to shoot an animal with the new tip color, unless my wife beats me to it. Probably, but I will still be the first guy, unless one of you can beat me to it.
Steve, I'm currently using the 213gr HH in my 338 Lapua. I would assume my pet load would be the same or very close with the 210 HHT. Is that correct??

Steve, I'm currently using the 213gr HH in my 338 Lapua. I would assume my pet load would be the same or very close with the 210 HHT. Is that correct??
Hey Doug! I would back off a couple grains and work back up. Should finish very close to the same. Nose radius is different so the distance to the lands will be different at the same oal as will the amount of bullet in the case of set at the same distance to the lands. So it may be a bit different but should end up very close to the same velocity.

Has anybody noticed how much accuracy (if any) has been gained using the tipped version vs the non tipped? If there is improvement in accuracy, I'm assuming it's farther down range. Also, do the tips add to the B.C.? I'm getting such great accuracy with the non tipped HH's. Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the info and quick reply Steve. Curious to see how the HHT performs when you head to Africa.
The 213 HH shoots so well in my Lapua that I'm a little hesitant to change, but the HHT's look so cool and have my attention. Plus, I always like to tinker and my Lapua has only shot the 213HH, so playing with the 210HHT could be a lot of fun.

Any plans to do a 175ish in these?
Hi Shane, we plan to run lighter as much as we can. As we go lighter they get harder to open properly at low velocity. We have a lighter one ready to test now in the 190ish grain range. If it is successful then we will try lighter yet. I have a feeling that these lighter pills will be needing a different nose profile and more weight in their butt in order to drive them to open at low velocity.

Recent Posts