Defensive Edge brakes

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
MUZZLEBRAKEBANKSX3.JPG

Kirby has talked about these for awhile and I finally found some time to snap some photos and post them sorry it took so long. From left to right: 1.000" 4 port brake for barrels from 1" to .700", 22 cal thru 375. The 1" brake can also be turned to fit flush down to .900". Next is a .875" brake 3 port a slight taper and fits a Sendero barrel perfect, it will work from 22-375 cal muzzle diameters from .875 to .700". The last is the sporter brake .750" 22-338 cal muzzle diameters from .750" to .575". All brakes in stainless are machined from 416 stainless bar stock to better match the color of the barrel, they are not cast and machined like most others. All are available in chromemoly steel as well. There is no porting on TDC or BDC for obvious reasons. The brakes are tunable to the individual rifle and shooter when installed. These brake are in blank form and require indexing, thru hole reamed for clearance, and turned or tapered to fit the barrel. Most contured brakes require these operations anyway these fit a wider varity of barrels in blank form.
MUZZLEBRAKEBLANK1IN.JPG

Here is a side by side of a blank and a profiled and fitted 1.000" brake, slight taper to fit .900" barrel, thru hole reamed to .295" for a 6.5 STW.

I have tested everyone of these designes and can tell you they are the only brake I will be using on all my personal rifles as long as they will fit the muzzle diameter I am using.

The big 4 port brake is amazing. Just tested one on a 7mm-270 WSM XP-100 handgun shooting 200 gr ULD RBBTs and it was simply a pleasure to shoot. No recoil at all!! In spite of there not being any top ports, there is also no muzzle jump either.

Only time you get alot of muzzle jump is with light barreled rifles and for those, Shawns Sporter Brake has just enough top port relief to effectively control any muzzle jump. THis is the brake I have on my lightweight 7mm AM and with the 200 gr ULD RBBT loaded to 3150 fps, there is no muzzle jump at all and recoil is around that of a 25-06 or 270 Sporter weight rifle.

Great product. I will still offer other brake options if customers want them but if the choice is left to me. All my rifles will get a Defensive Edge brake.

Great product from a world class smith and guy for that matter!!

If you like Holland brakes, you will love these.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby. I tried different designs I came up with for several years before I found these designs to be what I wanted. Glad you like them. There is alot BS about brakes on the market, reduces recoil 90% and no louder than a standard rifle come to mind. Despite these big claims I stick to the truth, my brakes keep the rifle level and reduce recoil in half or a little better. The noise, while it is true that no brake makes the gun louder per say, it directs the sound waves more toward the shooter and preceived noise is much more. To that I can just say there is no free lunch. Be smart with reguard to hearing protection and enjoy a mild recoiling rifle.

The 4 port brake that's on my 338 EDGE sure is nice. It tames the recoil down to a comparable .308 to .30-06. I can shoot all day with this brake.

I also did a little test of sitting next to the side of the rifle as my friend shot it. The noise and concusion I thought was very tolerable. I've had much worse experiences sitting next to someone shooting an AR10 with muzzle brake than I did with this brake shooting the 338 EDGE.

Very nice brake!

Just out of curiousity sake, my 7 mag with 168g vld at 2950fps out of a sporter rem 700 does seem to kick a bit. I dont know what it is about 7mm's, but thats kinda the reason why I got rid of my 2 previous ones. I just dont like the sharp kick they deliver. I swear its more perceived recoil then my 300 RUM. I am really really thinking hard about a brake for this rifle, but I dont really like them because I am forgetfull about hearing protection. I had one on my 25-06 and when I shot the barrel out w/that brake, I told myself I woudln't get another one. However there is advantages. I need to be able to see my own impacts. With this 7 mag, its still impossible. How much will these brakes reduce the recoil of a 7 mag?? Also, around how much is it to get one installed? One last question, are they contoured with the barrel? I dont really brakes that aren't contured w/ the barrel, I just think they look kinda clunky myself.

The brakes will allow you to see your hits from a solid position. I don't make one that is flush fit for factory sporter conture barrels. It is tough to build an effective brake with that small of a diameter. The break and installation runs 175-200 depending on the rifle and finish.

Shawn, I want to ask you this as I would guess that you have thought about this or experimented with it long ago. Some contend that if you angle the ports forward a little the noise is reduced for the shooter at least. I would asssume that some of the recoil reduction is lost because it is not going straight out.
Is this feasible for a rifle that you want some recoil reduction but not quite as much as the full blown brake or
is this marketing Hype?
I ask this because I have a 300WM Lam. stock Sendero that
does not kick that bad but I of course would not mind some recoil reduction & also I cannot see my bullet impacts.

Shawn, how much would it be for the 1" four port muzzle brake. I am having 6-284 built, and the muzzle brake that I bought was the Vais. However, I really like your 1" four port design. My barrel is one inch at the muzzle, so it would work and look perfect on my rifle. Could you please tell me if you have any available 1" four port muzzle brakes for a 6mm.

Thanks
Wildcat

The brake you have in stock, is it a straight tapper. I want it to match the contour of the barrel. When is the best time to call, If I decide to pick one up.

Thanks
Wildcat

Wildcat,

The 1" brake can be tapered to match when installed, as they come in blank form they are streight.

S2,

I don't make one that increases velocity and neither does anyone else other than the slight "freebore boost" a can or brake gives.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.