Budget rifle choices for long range elk

Hey all after letting the pendulum swing to an ultralight backpacking rifle I'm missing having a heavier long range rifle. That being said I'm looking for more of a budget option that will be called on when needed since my Nula is my main hunting rifle.

For caliber I have a soft spot for 7mm rem mag but those are getting harder to find as are fast twist barrels from the factory. That being said I'm looking more and more at 7prc instead. Other calibers I've considered are 300wsm or 300wm.

For a semi turn key rifle the savage trail hunter looks promising for $500. 7prc, 22" semi heavy barrel, threaded for suppressor and plenty of aftermarket support. Other option would be Ruger American but there's much less support for stocks and such. How are Bergara nowdays? I thought I'd read the quality had really started to slip?
I have a Remington 700XCR in 7mm Rum has a threaded barrel with a break RCBS die, brass, and bullets I'll let go of for $700.00

Great to hear! Yours is the long range model as well?
No not the Long Range model:

The barrel is a 5 r barrel as stated on Remington website.

@xsn10s At that 3.555" how much is the bullet encroaching into the case? Are you able to take advantage of the extra case capacity of the rem mag? I'm curious if Remington throated these new guns to take advantage of the faster twist barrels.

@xsn10s At that 3.555" how much is the bullet encroaching into the case? Are you able to take advantage of the extra case capacity of the rem mag? I'm curious if Remington throated these new guns to take advantage of the faster twist barrels.
Not too bad imo. Like I said earlier I haven't done much load development because I wanted to fire form the brass to the rifle before doing serious load workup. So with the last 1/2 lb or so of RL22 I worked up an accuracy load to fire form. The only magnum class powder I have left is Staball HD so hopefully that works. I think Remington throated them pretty reasonably for the new high bc bullets. Left enough material for throat erosion for the life of the barrel imo.

Attachments

• 20240104_111622.jpg
    20240104_111622.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Not too bad imo. Like I said earlier I haven't done much load development because I wanted to fire form the brass to the rifle before doing serious load workup. So with the last 1/2 lb or so of RL22 I worked up an accuracy load to fire form. The only magnum class powder I have left is Staball HD so hopefully that works. I think Remington throated them pretty reasonably for the new high bc bullets. Left enough material for throat erosion for the life of the barrel imo.
That doesn't look bad at all, very little effective loss inn capacity

That doesn't look bad at all, very little effective loss inn capacity
I agree. Remington put in a cut out on the feed ramp of the short actions. I think this is so they can use AICS binderless mags to seat out to 2.950". And all of Remington's barrels are 5R now. IMO the new Remarms has really stepped up the game.

I agree. Remington put in a cut out on the feed ramp of the short actions. I think this is so they can use AICS binderless mags to seat out to 2.950". And all of Remington's barrels are 5R now. IMO the new Remarms has really stepped up the game.
Perfect thanks! Only wrench in things I can find is some of the early rem arms guns were still 1-9.5 so unless you ask the online store specifically there's no good way to tell if you're getting a 1-8 gun.

Perfect thanks! Only wrench in things I can find is some of the early rem arms guns were still 1-9.5 so unless you ask the online store specifically there's no good way to tell if you're getting a 1-8 gun.
You just confirmed how to tell if it's 1-8". Also most of the bankruptcy Rem 700's were sold off dirt cheap. Just go to Remington's new website and pick the rifle you want. Get the SKU# and confirm that with your online store. They should be able to confirm the specs of the rifle. When I google the new Remarms 7mm RM ADL I come up with the 1-8" twist 5R 26" barreled rifle. Just confirm that with the online store. Or go to your local GS and order it through them with specific details on twist rate and blah, blah, blah. That's what I did at my work.

You just confirmed how to tell if it's 1-8". Also most of the bankruptcy Rem 700's were sold off dirt cheap. Just go to Remington's new website and pick the rifle you want. Get the SKU# and confirm that with your online store. They should be able to confirm the specs of the rifle. When I google the new Remarms 7mm RM ADL I come up with the 1-8" twist 5R 26" barreled rifle. Just confirm that with the online store. Or go to your local GS and order it through them with specific details on twist rate and blah, blah, blah. That's what I did at my work.
I think the issue is quickly resolving itself but for example Brownells has sps rifles on sale right now that are rem arm manufacture with 1-9.5. I called rem arms to see if they were reading it wrong but the early post bankruptcy guns are sku'd the same as current guns and weren't 1-8. Shame no one round here really carries Remington anymore to get hands on

I think the issue is quickly resolving itself but for example Brownells has sps rifles on sale right now that are rem arm manufacture with 1-9.5. I called rem arms to see if they were reading it wrong but the early post bankruptcy guns are sku'd the same as current guns and weren't 1-8. Shame no one round here really carries Remington anymore to get hands on
Your local GS can order it. That's what I did at my store which serves a very small farming community. Their distributor or rep can easily confirm the rifle prior to shipping. Same as you would do with an online purchase.

To throw a wrench in things I'm fairly set on a Remington 700 long range. But now I'm reconsidering caliber. For elk comparing a 180-195gr 7mm to a 215gr 300wm at extended range is the 180-195 that far out classed? I'm worried at what point does it turn into an arms race snd end up at 338LM. From what I'm looking at out to 1000 they're all very similar impact velocities of just under 2000 and all over 1500ft/lb with 300wm being 200-300ft/lb more. Is the 300 worth the extra powder and recoil?

To throw a wrench in things I'm fairly set on a Remington 700 long range. But now I'm reconsidering caliber. For elk comparing a 180-195gr 7mm to a 215gr 300wm at extended range is the 180-195 that far out classed? I'm worried at what point does it turn into an arms race snd end up at 338LM. From what I'm looking at out to 1000 they're all very similar impact velocities of just under 2000 and all over 1500ft/lb with 300wm being 200-300ft/lb more. Is the 300 worth the extra powder and recoil?
Broz at LRO is convinced that the elk medicine for LR is the 300 WM and 215 Hybrid. And I have no reason to deny this. The reason why I went with a 7mm RM is the trajectory is flatter, the powder charge weights are less, and recoil. I don't have problems with 300 wm or even 338 RUM recoil, but I am starting to notice it. I wanted a cartridge for the rest of my life and as we get older we tend to notice recoil more. So I went with the 7mm RM. Plus my buddies have killed plenty of elk with the 7mm RM.

Recent Posts