Budget rifle choices for long range elk

Here is what I got: https://christensenarms.com/product/modern-precision-rifle-chassis/
I got mine on sale for a couple hundred off. brings the weight up to about 8.8 lbs. without scope, but now can use DBMs you will have to purchase, and you may have to buy another rail for your scope mount. Watch DVOR for a sale and CA will tell you when they have components on sale if you are on the mailer list. I got both the stock and mag on sale. Looks and functions great!
Oh lord I can't afford that

Oh lord I can't afford that
The other options you my want to consider which I didn't see in time were the oryx stocks https://eabco.com/mdt-oryx-chassis-stock-fits-remington-700-la-rh-fde/ and or the Magpul Hunter Stock. https://magpul.com/hunter-700l-stock-remington-700-long-action.html?mp_global_color=118. I saw the opportunity to configure my Mesa into a CA Modern Precision Rifle for about $700.00-800.00 cheaper and I did it, but in hind sight should have shopped around for other options.

I'm sure this has been covered but asides from more factory ammo options and no belt what're the benefits or differences in 1-8 7 rem mag vs 1-8 7prc? Looks like a standard Remington long action mag box should be long enough to handle 180s in either relatively well?

On your short list should be a Tikka Roughtech or Super Varmint. I read that the Bergaras can be hit or miss but I have a B14 in 300PRC that shoots under moa with factory ammo. And the new Weatherby 307 would also be worth checking out.

Thinking under 700 for barreled action or 1000-1100 in an adjustable stock if complete.
The new Remington 700, or Remarms, 7mm Rem Mag comes with a 1-8" twist and 5R rifling. Just under $600 at Sportman's for the ADL model. Stuff that in whatever aftermarket stock and you're done. You could add a trigger if you want. My ADL came from the factory with a Timney Impact non adjustable trigger. It breaks at 3lbs 12 oz. Here's a link to my Rem 700 ADL 7mm RM build. I just put mine in a used KRG Bravo stock, altogether I'm under a grand into it. https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/my-new-remarms-adl-7mm-rm.338029/

Last edited:
Here's a group at 550 yards with my handloads. I really haven't done any serious load development yet and the barrel has under fifty rounds through it. I'm still fire forming my virgin brass so I can start some load workup.
1704199263424.jpeg

I'm sure this has been covered but asides from more factory ammo options and no belt what're the benefits or differences in 1-8 7 rem mag vs 1-8 7prc? Looks like a standard Remington long action mag box should be long enough to handle 180s in either relatively well?
I don't pay attention to the belt and headspace my brass off the shoulder. The 7 PRC has higher operating pressures but the 7mm RM in my ADL can be seated out to 3.600" or greater with AICS mags. My ADL hits the lands using the 180 gr ELDM and a COL of 3.582". So I seat my rounds out to 3.555" for a .025" jump. That has the potential to load with with greater powder charges of slow powders for higher velocities. But unless I can get really good ES/SD at those higher velocities with the 180 gr ELDM I'm satisfied with around 2820 fps with low ES/SD. The BC will work for mt at the extended ranges I want to play at.

The problem with Savages is a shorter magbox. And the prices on the 110's has gone up.

Hey all after letting the pendulum swing to an ultralight backpacking rifle I'm missing having a heavier long range rifle. That being said I'm looking for more of a budget option that will be called on when needed since my Nula is my main hunting rifle.

For caliber I have a soft spot for 7mm rem mag but those are getting harder to find as are fast twist barrels from the factory. That being said I'm looking more and more at 7prc instead. Other calibers I've considered are 300wsm or 300wm.

For a semi turn key rifle the savage trail hunter looks promising for $500. 7prc, 22" semi heavy barrel, threaded for suppressor and plenty of aftermarket support. Other option would be Ruger American but there's much less support for stocks and such. How are Bergara nowdays? I thought I'd read the quality had really started to slip?
I would go with the Ruger American Predator, I have 5 of them and they all shoot great, for a hunting gun the stocks have never bothered me. I have put a scopes on them that cost about 3 times the gun.