.223 Long Range Budget Rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by sirhitalot, May 26, 2010.

1. sirhitalot

sirhitalot Member

Hi, im going to get a .223 rifle for small game and long range shooting. I dont want to buy anything expensive, the only thing thats important for me is good accuracy and a twist rate that lets me shoot heavy bullets (1:9 seems fitting for my purpose), ive seen a bit on the Howa Varmint, but it has 1:12" twist... so for me it seems that the only rifles in the pricerange is the Remington 700 tactical (or VTR)... of cource there is the Tikka T3 lite, but i dont like their magazines....

any input?

2. ForneyRider

ForneyRider Well-Known Member

Remington SPS Varmint, Howa 1500 Varmint or a Savage equivalent. US550$ or so regular price.

3. teddy12b

teddy12b Well-Known Member

I wanted to make a similar rifle and this is how I did it.

I went to gunbroker and typed "savage 223" and started watching what was coming up in my price range that had a heavy barrel. I watched for a little while and got a used predator that couldn't have had 50rds through it for about $425. Then I just put on a bushnell 3200 10X that I got brand new on Ebay for 165 to my door. All together I don't have $700 in the rifle & scope. It shoots between 3/4" to 1/2" at 100 yards using 69gr sierra matchkings and doesn't go subsonic until after 700 yards. It's a very accurate, inexpensive rifle that's not too heavy and not too light.

Now I have a drop chart taped to the stock and have an eagle stock pack on the stock for comfort, but the basic setup is pretty cheap for a rifle that shoots accurately out to 700 yards all things considered.

4. Johnboy

Johnboy Well-Known Member

I love my 5R in a 223.comes with a 1:9 and shoots great.but does cost alittle more thatn the average rifel.but the same as any 5R does.

5. sirhitalot

sirhitalot Member

ive decided for a Savage BVSS (varmint) 1:9", only thing i dislike is that is has a closed box magazine... Ive all ready got a Bushnell tactical elite 6-24x50, a harris and a nice silencer (for .30, but it'll work good on the .223 also...

6. teddy12b

Once upon a time I had the exact same rifle and it's very accurate. If you get a chance try some varget with 69gr matchkings and you'll likely be a very happy man. The 12bvss I had with my 69gr matchking & varget handload was still accurate at 800 yards! You're going to love that rifle.

7. sirhitalot

sirhitalot Member

ive found a remington 700 used, it has a Lothar Walter barrel with 1:8" twist, but it cost a bit more, how how will it performe against the Savage?

8. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

Lothar Walter barrels are reputed to be very good, but I never had one. Your request clearly spells the answer: S A V A G E. I have a Model 12 LRPV with 1-7" twist factory barrel that shoots the 80 gr. Berger VLD lights out in competition. Yesterday, I shot a 2 1/2" group at 500 meters with it.

The big advantage of a Savage, is that you can easily change barrels yourself, avoiding the cost and delay of having a gunsmith do it.

9. teddy12b

From my experience shooting next to guys with custom rifles with way too much invested is that they're all proud of their remington custom whatever with a whoever's barrel on it when it shoot a 1/2" or less. Then my smart arse shows up with a factory savage rifle and does the same thing.

By all mean, if you want the custom whatever go for it and it'll likely serve you well. I won't try to talk you out of something you'd be happy with. For me though, I want accuracy first. Whether it's to be best all around long range gun I have (Savage 110FP 30-06) or a budget inexpensive rifle for cheaper practice (savage predator 223) I choose savage.

Whatever makes you happy though. I've seen some remingtons I've liked also and I wouldn't mind getting a sps tactical in 308.

10. sirhitalot

sirhitalot Member

the remington costs about 300 bucks more, and has a silencer included, so im pretty keen on that, a 50cm 20mm thick L.W. pipe with 1:8" twist cant go wrong, im gona check if i can push the price down a bit... He says it has 300 shots through it, but for some reason 90% of every rifle sold second hand has just a couple of shots through it:rolleyes:

11. teddy12b

Sounds like a decent deal. Most guns that get sold usually have a low round count. There's more guns that get sold because of lack of use and the funds are wanted for something else.

12. sirhitalot

sirhitalot Member

Ive made the deal now, it only cost me 18 dollars more:D with shipping included!
    wow, looking foreward to testing it. Ive not started handloading yet, but it will come, so i'll only be able to shoot factory loads atm... 1:8" should do about everything...