Budget rifle choices for long range elk

Well, I bought a Ruger American Camo in 7mm PRC, my wife told me to buy a rifle for my Birthday this year (got it on sale at Sheels), got a Jard trigger for it and raised the cheek a little bit, seems like it will be a very good shooter. I purchased about five years back a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor, is a tack driver right out of the box, with quite a few brands factory ammo it will shoot through same hole if I do my part at 100-300 yards. Savage also makes a good shooter, have a older one original 300 win mag shot well and 338 re-barrel shoots lights out. But a rifle I am interested in is the Weatherby 307, I will probably buy an action and get a barrel in 7mm Weatherby with the twist rate I want., 1:9 for the higher BC bullets. Got a deal of a Christiansen Arms mesa (was my light weight rifle, 6.5lbs) $750.00 with rebate and sale at Murdoch's a few years ago, in 300 win mag, shot so well bought a precision stock for it. Good luck and have Fun, and Happy New year.
Can you tell me what exact stock you got? I have the exact same rifle and have been thinking about getting a better stock for it

I'd go Savage. I've got one in 7 mag in the weather warrior package. Bought it used for $450 and it shoots 162eldx at 1/2 to 3/4 inches. I also have a 25-06 that shoots 115 Bergers about the same. They don't have the smoothest action, the best trigger or the best stocks but they shoot and they do it at a very reasonable price.

Tikkas are good also but more expensive.

I'd go Savage. I've got one in 7 mag in the weather warrior package. Bought it used for $450 and it shoots 162eldx at 1/2 to 3/4 inches. I also have a 25-06 that shoots 115 Bergers about the same. They don't have the smoothest action, the best trigger or the best stocks but they shoot and they do it at a very reasonable price.

Tikkas are good also but more expensive.
Ya it gets old on some other forums because tikka is the only answer to every question and everything else is a red ryder by comparison. Hard to call them budget when you have to spend at least 700 on the rifle then another 500 on a barrel.

Ya it gets old on some other forums because tikka is the only answer to every question and everything else is a red ryder by comparison. Hard to call them budget when you have to spend at least 700 on the rifle then another 500 on a barrel.

I have several Tikkas also. They are bone stock and I picked them up used as well. They all shoot incredibly well and I enjoy the heck out of them. I don't own a single rifle I bought new.

The reality is that most guys don't shoot that much. Look at the used rifles on here for example. How many do you see for sale with 75 rounds down the tube and brass dies and bullets to go with. The barrels aren't even broke in yet!

My father in law has had a 270 WSM for 22 years. He's shot 22 deer with it and just finished his second box of 20 rounds and that includes sight in and two shots this year to check zero because he missed once last year. He's shot 25 rounds out of it since he sighted it in 22 years ago.

The used gun rack is the best way to get a budget shooter.

I have several Tikkas also. They are bone stock and I picked them up used as well. They all shoot incredibly well and I enjoy the heck out of them. I don't own a single rifle I bought new.

The reality is that most guys don't shoot that much. Look at the used rifles on here for example. How many do you see for sale with 75 rounds down the tube and brass dies and bullets to go with. The barrels aren't even broke in yet!

My father in law has had a 270 WSM for 22 years. He's shot 22 deer with it and just finished his second box of 20 rounds and that includes sight in and two shots this year to check zero because he missed once last year. He's shot 25 rounds out of it since he sighted it in 22 years ago.

The used gun rack is the best way to get a budget shooter.
Sorry I was talking bout regards of getting one in 7prc with the barrel. Round here tikkas aren't that popular and the few used ones their are hold their value really well. A local guy has one on a gun swap site in 7mag for 750. I can get a new one cheaper than that right now off line. I'm also sort of sour on them since I had a 243 wood stocked model that didn't shoot very impressively and looked like hell after one winter in the passenger seat of a pickup as a coyote rifle

no real experience but i like the looks of the mossberg patriot. you can get them with a nice solid wood stock too
i used to work a gun counter and fingered a few when they first came out. reminds me of a savage but prettier. love the fluted bolt and it was 3 lug if i remember correctly.
for a budget, id look at that, savage or weatherby vanguard. 300wm imo. im a loader but yit happens and you should be able to find that on the shelves easily.
I have a Mossberg Patriot in .308 Winchester that is sub-MOA. I pulled it apart to see how it was built and they had epoxied the barrel lug and placed the action in a plastic cradle which appeared to act like a down-and-dirty stock bedding. I was impressed for the price.

The Christensen mesa 300 mag
Here is what I got: https://christensenarms.com/product/modern-precision-rifle-chassis/
I got mine on sale for a couple hundred off. brings the weight up to about 8.8 lbs. without scope, but now can use DBMs you will have to purchase, and you may have to buy another rail for your scope mount. Watch DVOR for a sale and CA will tell you when they have components on sale if you are on the mailer list. I got both the stock and mag on sale. Looks and functions great!

Has anyone tried the new Remingtons? Minus not being threaded and sounds like the new Romney sucks the 700 long range looks like it gives a lot for the price. They also offer rifles in either 7rem mag or 7 prc with 1-8

Yep, Tikka makes a fine rifle for sure. Having said that, there`s an awful lot of Savage rifles out there bringing home venison for dinner, despite their " lack of refinement".

Recent Posts