Long Range Deer/Elk Rifle

What price range are you looking at, and how far do you intend to shoot? I know you said long range, but I'm finding out that has hugely different definitions to different people. And also, what age is your son? Beginner?

All of this along with what terrain do you hunt or plan to hunt? There is a big difference in long range setup for elk vs. deer. Do you handload? Is your son able to handle recoil and how much, you hunting from a blind, doing lots of walking, scaling the tallest mountains? ....lots of questions to consider.

He has been shooting for a long time and can handle a lot of recoil. He wants to be able to shoot accurately out to 400 yards. And yes i do handload my own ammo.

400 yards opens up cartridge choice immensely. 1500ft/lbs is what is considered by most to be Good To Go. For premium bullets such as Barnes and Hornady GMX they say you want at least 1800fps to reliably expand.

-- 7mm Rem Mag will push out to 500++ easily for elk
-- 300 WM will easily push out to 500++ for elk as well.
-- 280 AI (Nosler) will reach out to 450+ pretty easily.
-- 270 Win with a 150gr Berger will reach 425.

Of course the WSM varieties of these Calibre's will more than get it done as well.

Lots of good choices!
Gary

270Win,
270WSM,
280Rem,
7mmWSM,
7mmRSAUM,
7RemMag,
300WSM,
300WinMag,
270 Weatherby,
257 Weatherby,
300 Weatherby,
7mm RUM,
7mmSTW,
300 RUM,

Etc. Etc.

i highly recomend to 280 rem, mine is in a ruger m77 hawkeye and its a tack driver out to 400 yards and past with handloads with 160 gr accubonds

I'm leaning toward getting him a rifle chambered for the 300 Weatherby cartridge and using a muzzle brake. A couple months back he made a one shot kill on an elk at 408 yards with a 25-06 that we handloaded with Barnes TSX. He would like a larger caliber for future hunts though, and recoil doesn't seem to bother him, but the brake would probably make practice easier on the shoulder.

Any thoughts on the ER Shaw Mark VII rifles. Maybe I should make a separate post on the rifle?

Well a brake to practice with is a good idea with a Wby but in the field I sure don't care for them personally. That being said, I had a 300 Wby and although it wasn't terrible it's what I would consider a recoil level that a lot of people will start backing out from. I'm really a 7mm fan as a bottom level for elk and good bullets are available from all the mfg's. A 7 mag like a RM or a STW will reach out and not have the recoil of a Wby, the 280 is likewise decent and even less recoil. Those setups probably wouldn't need a brake if your son can handle recoil, have the option of good brass and bullets for reloading and potential factory ammo if needed.

The Wby is a great cartridge and I liked the one I had but I went to a 300 RUM for the very little extra performance it allows. My suggestion would be a 7mm RM or a 7 STW.

the rifle is way more important than the caliber. get a sendero . get a brake. adjust the trigger. put a good scope on it.

If 400 yds is the guide line, you don't need the .300 wby. Great caliber, killed lots of game with mine, before I sold it, but she slaps pretty hard. The wby doesn't really pound you, it's kind of kick and jumps at you. Was on a hunt with a guide who told me the .300 wby has been responsible for the most "scope eyes" he's seen in 30+ years of outfitting.

I now hunt primarily with a 300 WSM and have never looked back. Again, I think the .300 wby starts to become relevant beyond 400 yards. Good luck!

Skip the brake and get a good 7wsm. I killed elk at over 400 with mine and it only takes one bullet.

Then the noise isn't as big of a problem when hunting.

270, 7mm, 300 WSM. Any one of those will *MORE* than hammer even an elk 100% ethically @ 400 yards as long as you have the right bullet and place it half decently.

Not knocking the weatherby, but much beyond what amounts to the 300 Win Mag level of recoil, and most peoples *Bodies* just can't really handle the pounding. I hope you do not take what I am saying wrong. Heck, even 338 / 50 cal. Mil snipers get cycled / rotated because of the beating their bodies take just keeping their skill levels up. And your average mil sniper is one TOUGH hombre when it comes to recoil ect!

I am a huge believer in the right Level of Tool for the job. Honestly, 1500 ft/lbs. and pretty close to 2k fps. are what most folks consider 100% ethical for an elk. Now I have known of people managing to take an elk with a 22lr.... Just sayin.

Anyhow, Good hunting sir!
Gary

My 15 yr.old boy has been sneaking off w/ my 340WM BRAKED, and it cost me a muley this year:D Dont ever get your kid a vehicle

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.