Long Range Deer/Elk Rifle

If 400 yards is all you want, pick your favorite caliber that will shoot a 180 grain bullet at 3000 FPS. Mount a quality scope with ballistic compensated reticle (Leupold B&C or the like) and get after it. 400 yards is a chip shot with the technology in bullets and optics these days.
gun)

It does not get much easier than a 300 WM - H1000 - Win Brass - Win LR Primers - 208gr Amax. Talk about a cult classic. Then again the 210gr Berger is great too, and I hear (but have not personally tried) that JLKs are good. Like french vanilla ice cream and mom's apple pie!

Gary

I'm leaning toward getting him a rifle chambered for the 300 Weatherby cartridge and using a muzzle brake. A couple months back he made a one shot kill on an elk at 408 yards with a 25-06 that we handloaded with Barnes TSX. He would like a larger caliber for future hunts though, and recoil doesn't seem to bother him, but the brake would probably make practice easier on the shoulder.

Any thoughts on the ER Shaw Mark VII rifles. Maybe I should make a separate post on the rifle?

I don't have personal experience with brakes, maybe you already do. I'm told they are extremely loud to the shooter. That turned me off. Maybe some of you who advise against it would give your reasons, and or experience. I know I am courious if it is the extra noise you don't like.

i would not shoot them ( mags) without a break. i wish i had had one put on my 6.5-284 it kicks more than my 7mm. i wear muffs and puffs. suite yourself. i like them.

the rifle is way more important than the caliber. get a sendero . get a brake. adjust the trigger. put a good scope on it.
rebarrrel a remington with a krieger; a weatheryby accumark , a vanguard moa, a tikka varmint are some others that come to mind. or pick something different and shoot against my sendero.

Hello I must agree with you the 280rem is very good if you are a handloader, 150gr part. and rl22 are about perfect. I have 182 Norma once fired cases if anyone is interested.

smallest to biggest that you all would say is ethical 264 win mag with 130 grian swift or 140 partition, 270 Wby mag 140 grain accubond, 7mm Rem mag 160 grain accubond or 162 sst, 300 win mag 180 accubond or swift, 338 win mag 200 grain accubon or 225 sst. With hand loads the 300 is likely to be the most accurate with the right load the 338 is likely to have the most down range energy. If you don't like the smaller ones a 300 weatherby is a monster, is capable of pushing a 180 at 3300+ but as mentioned its been known to leave idiot marks!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts