Budget rifle choices for long range elk

I went with 300 win mag as there are way more bullet choices in 30 cal than 7mm.
I got rid of all 7mm before I moved to Montana and now have a much better bullet selection in my ammo safe.
Not saying 7mm is bad,I killed elk and deer,hogs, with mine but bullet selection took me to 30 cal.
Just my opinion.

To throw a wrench in things I'm fairly set on a Remington 700 long range. But now I'm reconsidering caliber. For elk comparing a 180-195gr 7mm to a 215gr 300wm at extended range is the 180-195 that far out classed? I'm worried at what point does it turn into an arms race snd end up at 338LM. From what I'm looking at out to 1000 they're all very similar impact velocities of just under 2000 and all over 1500ft/lb with 300wm being 200-300ft/lb more. Is the 300 worth the extra powder and
I shot an elk this fall at 380 yards with my 7mag and a 162 interlock. Bullet hit last rib going in and traveled about 30" of elk and went through offside scapula and was stopped at the hide. I can't imagine a 180 or 195 out of a 7mag wouldn't kill elk just fine if you put it where you should even at 1000 yards. I find the recoil on a 7 mag without a brake very comfortable to shoot.

I shot an elk this fall at 380 yards with my 7mag and a 162 interlock. Bullet hit last rib going in and traveled about 30" of elk and went through offside scapula and was stopped at the hide. I can't imagine a 180 or 195 out of a 7mag wouldn't kill elk just fine if you put it where you should even at 1000 yards. I find the recoil on a 7 mag without a brake very comfortable to shoot.
I'm planning on using the 180 gr ELDM or 180 gr Hybrid through my 7mm RM. My fire forming loads only go 2820 fps with the 180 gr ELDM. But I think that load will be good out just past 700 yards.

If you really want to step out of your comfort zone, look at the new Berretta rifle in 300 Win Mag. Straight pull about $1500. Savage also had straight pull rifles..This is what I am looking at. Maybe the future of bolt action rifles

Broz at LRO is convinced that the elk medicine for LR is the 300 WM and 215 Hybrid. And I have no reason to deny this. The reason why I went with a 7mm RM is the trajectory is flatter, the powder charge weights are less, and recoil. I don't have problems with 300 wm or even 338 RUM recoil, but I am starting to notice it. I wanted a cartridge for the rest of my life and as we get older we tend to notice recoil more. So I went with the 7mm RM. Plus my buddies have killed plenty of elk with the 7mm RM.
I've read his stuff as well and results do speak for themselves which is part of what's swaying me but I also agree with you that would a lighter recoiling/ more controllable rifle with a 180gr bullet and impact velocity near 2k be just as effective.