Boone & Crockett Stance on LRH

Per the B&C statement:The Club finds that long-range shooting takes unfair advantage of the game animal, effectively eliminates the natural capacity of an animal to use its senses and instincts to detect danger,

I like this one. I asked if that would include the use of Ozonics which takes an animals sense of smell out of the equation making it harder for it to detect danger. How about cover scents? How about blinds and camo which takes away their ability to see danger. This list goes on and on.

I have never had an animal scored nor do I care to. My trophies do not need to meet their minimums to be trophies.

Did you get a reply to this yet?

To be honest, a serious LRH taking a shot at 800 yards is more ethical than a "shoot my gun once a year hunter" taking a shot at 250 yards.

This is perhaps one of the most perceptive statements and arguments against B&C's position. It's hard to deny the truth of it, if you are in any way involved, or associated with shooting/hunting. Nice way to hardboil it JR. Agree with that 100%!

Attachments

• 10580149_10153101018604778_8011033329603911929_n.jpg
    10580149_10153101018604778_8011033329603911929_n.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 55
Their latest ...

...And from that they decide to divide, and question the intentions and values of a part of that hunting pie? With friends like this who needs the anti's?

The issue is the slice of the hunting donation pie BC used to have, is divided between RMEF, NRA, FNAWS, Ducks Unlimited, Safari Club, and a growing number that successfully solicit hunters for donations. It would be interesting to know the specifics of membership, and donations.

Alienating any portion of the hunting slice of the pie is short sighted, no matter how they cut the pie. Hunters are the very core of their support and organization.

They need some new leadership. This leadership might wanna join the board of directors at Pope & Young. They prioritize close range hunting. Arrows won't go any farther than the limits B&C is comfortable with. They'll be a good fit their. Of course, they might then proceed to limit archery shots to less than 20 yds.

If you really want to poke at them, change the text in that picture to say:

Long Range Hunting
Unethical?
Only in the Ukraine!

Then send it back to them.

I mean good grief, they are comparing us to artillery men. Now I'm offended!

Just kidding to all you who are/were the King of Battle.

I mean good grief, they are comparing us to artillery men. Now I'm offended!
When I viewed the picture I was seriously disappointed B&C used military equipment equating the men and women behind this equipment with "hunting ethics" to place food on the table or a scored rack on the wall. My view of the message, it's "OK" for military men and women to use long range technology and skills to take a human life but by goodness don't use any of the same technology or experience to harvest an animal for the table or trophy room because that's unethical. One could speculate the skills honed while "long-range hunting" could further be utilized during a time of war. It's hard enough on our service members, sending a message that could be interpreted as an attack against a military member's integrity could be viewed as more damaging to values than the message B&C is attempting to surface with their message.

I'm sure B&C is receiving an ear full by now. I'll be making a personal visit to their Headquarters office during my next visit to Missoula regarding this very issue.

I skipped a lot of the comments between the first day and now.

My feelings on this is:t when one pro freedoms group criticizes or otherwise denigrates another pro freedoms group for methods, techniques or anything all it does is drive a wedge between the groups and give the Anti's more fodder for their propaganda.

I would bet money that the Anti's will find this and use it in every State of the Union to get the 'ethical' distance codified. Of course starting with California. They are known to use the logic of so goes California, so goes the Nation.

This was seen with the banning of using dogs for bear and pig hunting. Once passed in California they Moved to Arizona. Their Arizona efforts may not have succeeded, yet... but now we are stuck with more restrictions.

WOW....this opens a very LARGE can-o-worms, IMHO.

In essence, all advancement in the "chase" should have ended with the hand thrown spear. The very sharp flint head is OK.

Why didn`t the Club write more explicit rules in the first place? !00 yrds or less? open sights only, and staying with the spear, only one cartridge per day.

Oh, all you hunters, down from the tree`s...

And NO sent-lock clothing.

I could go on and on.

Story of the Whitetail Deer World Record: The Hanson Buck

Follow this link to the story of the Hansen Buck. This is B&C's number 1 typical whitetail. B&C finds that long range shots are unethical but the world record buck had two volleys of shots fired at it before Mylo Hansen wounded it. After wounding the buck he ran up to it putting it down once and for all.

Have we all taken bad shots? YES! Have we all missed a deer? YES! My point is that a true long range hunter takes the time and makes a good shot. He/she knows the wind, distance, bullet flight, and atmospheric conditions before pulling the trigger. According to B&C driving deer and shooting them on the run regardless of how a hunter hits them is ok. Mylo jumped the animal twice sending bullets at it before hitting it on the third drive. It is the same type of story for the Jordan Buck (#2 typical). Maybe B&C should take both of those bucks out of the record books due to unethical shots!?!

Like I have stated before, some hunters will do whatever it takes to have their trophy measure up to book standards. If you truly cared B&C do away with the record book.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.