Boone & Crockett Stance on LRH

Story of the Whitetail Deer World Record: The Hanson Buck

Follow this link to the story of the Hansen Buck. This is B&C's number 1 typical whitetail. B&C finds that long range shots are unethical but the world record buck had two volleys of shots fired at it before Mylo Hansen wounded it. After wounding the buck he ran up to it putting it down once and for all.

Have we all taken bad shots? YES! Have we all missed a deer? YES! My point is that a true long range hunter takes the time and makes a good shot. He/she knows the wind, distance, bullet flight, and atmospheric conditions before pulling the trigger. According to B&C driving deer and shooting them on the run regardless of how a hunter hits them is ok. Mylo jumped the animal twice sending bullets at it before hitting it on the third drive. It is the same type of story for the Jordan Buck (#2 typical). Maybe B&C should take both of those bucks out of the record books due to unethical shots!?!

Like I have stated before, some hunters will do whatever it takes to have their trophy measure up to book standards. If you truly cared B&C do away with the record book.

I remember that buck. I think you need to get back with ...

No answer from B&C yet but some smart ***** asked me what I don't understand about what B&C are trying to say.

... and refresh him and B&C about it. :rolleyes:

ADDED: Here's the Jordan's Buck >>> http://www.burnettcounty.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/85

Last edited:
If I feel there is a need for a more personal relationship with the animals I hunt and the distance feels too great, I turn up the power on my scope.

The future has and will be education and awareness. Personal decisions are best left to the person. Education provides awareness with those decisions. Provide the information through education, and let the final decisions rest with the individual.

See how statements like the one above can get under someone's skin? Education and awareness is great approach toward an end.

Sorry...I simply didn't have the time and wherewithall to read all 70 plus posts..so if this has been stated before I apoligize.

When they speak about LR hunting as taking away the animals natural defenses and is un fair to the game....think about this.

How fair is it to the animal if the hunter is wearing $1000,00 worth of the latest, head to tow cammo outfits, washed in special soap, covered in scent block or some sort of atractent...sitting way up high in a high dollar tree stand that has been scouted for months with a couple high dollar trail cams, over top of bait, shooting high dollar, high speed, high tec compound bows with high tec multi bladed arrows,ect..... and killing the animal at 7 yards.

Where is THE "FAIR CHASE" in that scenarieo? The poor deer didn't have a chance!!!

Just sayin!!! :D

OK..before I get flamed for this, I do realize that Pope and Young is the official club for the string and stick croud. BUT... the point is....you could easily replace bow for gun!!

Sorry...I simply didn't have the time and wherewithall to read all 70 plus posts..so if this has been stated before I apoligize.

When they speak about LR hunting as taking away the animals natural defenses and is un fair to the game....think about this.

How fair is it to the animal if the hunter is wearing $1000,00 worth of the latest, head to tow cammo outfits, washed in special soap, covered in scent block or some sort of atractent...sitting way up high in a high dollar tree stand that has been scouted for months with a couple high dollar trail cams, over top of bait, shooting high dollar, high speed, high tec compound bows with high tec multi bladed arrows,ect..... and killing the animal at 7 yards.

Where is THE "FAIR CHASE" in that scenarieo? The poor deer didn't have a chance!!!

Just sayin!!! :D

OK..before I get flamed for this, I do realize that Pope and Young is the official club for the string and stick croud. BUT... the point is....you could easily replace bow for gun!!

You will get no flame from me. I am a proud Hunter myself, but with the technology and weaponry we have today makes a "fair" chase a thing of the past. I love the technology and new weaponry but some hunters do need to adopt some aspect of ethics when on the hunt.

Baiting is ******** no matter how you look at it. Sitting over top of a feeder is ********. Flame me if you will. For me, hunting with a suppressor is also fodder. But then again, for me trophy hunting is unethical. I understand I don't share the consensus view but those are my opinions. I believe God intended for our "trophies" to be in our bellies and not on our walls.
Can't wait to hear the feedback. By the way, Im not agreeing with B&C by at means, but I hope hunters will evaluate their own code of ethics in the future.

Okay, now that I have that out of my system, we can go back to what everyone was talking about...boo b&c, yay LRH.

You will get no flame from me. I am a proud Hunter myself, but with the technology and weaponry we have today makes a "fair" chase a thing of the past. I love the technology and new weaponry but some hunters do need to adopt some aspect of ethics when on the hunt.

Baiting is ******** no matter how you look at it. Sitting over top of a feeder is ********. Flame me if you will. For me, hunting with a suppressor is also fodder. But then again, for me trophy hunting is unethical. I understand I don't share the consensus view but those are my opinions. I believe God intended for our "trophies" to be in our bellies and not on our walls.
Can't wait to hear the feedback. By the way, Im not agreeing with B&C by at means, but I hope hunters will evaluate their own code of ethics in the future.

Okay, now that I have that out of my system, we can go back to what everyone was talking about...boo b&c, yay LRH.

Like Clint Eastwood said, "a man has got to know his limitations". We all need to examine our own ethics every day. That being said I disagree with most of your points, but who cares, I don't care to argue about what we believe to be ethical or not. You do it your way I'll do it mine. Just don't try to legislate it.....

One thing about it, hunting ain't what it use to be. We have come a long way from pointed sticks. There is a big difference between someone that practices long range and someone that just shoots 5 or6 rounds at a milk jug at 100 yards and say that's good enought. For them to put it down, they need to go back to pointed sticks. I will admit, it is more about shooting than stand hunting or stalking. If you have practiced at the ranges you see game and are confident of the shot, 300,400,500,1000 yards, it is hunting. Years ago 500 yards was a long shot. Now we have range finders, better guns and bullets. The flintlock long rifle was the first long range rifle. The British Officers did not think it was right to be shot off their horse at 300 yards either. Where is it going to stop?? It's not.

+1

With over 50 years of hunting with all types of weapons I have seen more animals lost to people
that think one trip to the range a year to make sure there rifle will hit a pie plate at 100 yards
is all the practice they need to hunt.

If a person thinks this is all he needs to shoot long range he will not be a threat to any animal at 500 yards much less 1000 yards.

An unethical hunter is Anyone that takes a shot beyond his ability (Not Beyond 100 yards)or someone that shoots a cartridge that is to small for the game to be hunted. and I am sure we all know some of these.

The real plus to this sport is the shooters ability to know when a shot is to long.

I can safely say that most long range shooters have turned down more shots per capita than
the 100- crowd

Being unethical is not against the law it is just unethical.

Enough said.

J E CUSTOM

A couple years ago I read on this site that "you should be surprised if you miss a shot, not if you make it". I took that to heart and am a better hunter because of it. Everyone needs to know their own limits. Thats only done through practice, practice, and more practice. That might be 200 yards it might be 1500 yards. That's what's ethical. Like I said before, just don't try to regulate or legislate it.

A couple years ago I read on this site that "you should be surprised if you miss a shot, not if you make it". I took that to heart and am a better hunter because of it. Everyone needs to know their own limits. Thats only done through practice, practice, and more practice. That might be 200 yards it might be 1500 yards. That's what's ethical. Like I said before, just don't try to regulate or legislate it.

Amen to that!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.