Boone & Crockett Stance on LRH

I e-mailed this to their headquarters office ...

Please take me off your mailing list immediately and expect no further support from me until your stance in long range hunting below has changed favorably. I will also encourage all my long range hunting buddies to do the same.

Position
The Boone and Crockett Club believes the term "long-range" shooting is more defined by a hunter's intent, than any specific distance at which a shot is taken. If the intent of the individual is to test equipment and determine how far one can shoot to hit a live target and if there is no motivation to risk engagement with the animal being hunted, this practice is not hunting and should not be accorded the same status as hunting.

The Boone and Crockett Club maintains that hunting, at its most fundamental level, is defined by a tenuous and unpredictable relationship between predator and prey. This is an intrinsic, irrefutable and intimate connection that cannot be compromised if the hunter is to maintain the sanctity of this relationship and any credible claim that hunting is challenging, rewarding, respectful of wild creatures, and in service to wildlife conservation. This connection is built upon many complex components that differentiate hunting from simply shooting or killing.

The Club finds that long-range shooting takes unfair advantage of the game animal, effectively eliminates the natural capacity of an animal to use its senses and instincts to detect danger, and demeans the hunter/prey relationship in a way that diminishes the importance and relevance of the animal and the hunt. The Club urges all hunters to think carefully of the consequences of long-range shooting, whether hunting with a rifle, bow, muzzleloader, crossbow, or handgun, and not confuse the purposes and intent of long-range shooting with fair chase hunting.

Last year, I was blessed with a bull elk harvested at 931 yards. It took me about an hour to stalk up the mountain in order to get the shot. From opening day to successful recovery of my elk, I've logged over 100 foot miles going up and down the Montana wilderness. To say it's not hunting is asinine.

I am part of 83,000 strong long range hunters (just from one group, I'm pretty sure there are others and plenty of it) that totally disagree with your current position.

V/R
cleardot.gif

(I put my real name and contact information in my actual e-mail)

Nice letter Feenix! I certainly agree with your email. For them to be so closed-minded is definitely asinine.

Their statement incorporates the practice of surveying the area prior to the hunt, indentifying the prey to be hunted, learning all we can about its routine habits and stalking during the hunt to obtain the closest and surest shot possible. Frankly, I see nothing wrong with that. It's the way I hunt. But I wouldn't want to insist that everyone endorse my standards which include the discipline to refuse any target that is beyond my personal range of accurate shooting.
For BC to publish a statement on its own site outlining the principals to which it subscribes is not hunter heresy; it's simply a point of view.
Lighten up a bit fellas. I'm sure none of you would endorse the practice of having someone tie a deer to a tree so you could make a kill. But there are some who see nothing wrong with that.

Well said!

Their statement incorporates the practice of surveying the area prior to the hunt, indentifying the prey to be hunted, learning all we can about its routine habits and stalking during the hunt to obtain the closest and surest shot possible. Frankly, I see nothing wrong with that. It's the way I hunt. But I wouldn't want to insist that everyone endorse my standards which include the discipline to refuse any target that is beyond my personal range of accurate shooting.
For BC to publish a statement on its own site outlining the principals to which it subscribes is not hunter heresy; it's simply a point of view.
Lighten up a bit fellas. I'm sure none of you would endorse the practice of having someone tie a deer to a tree so you could make a kill. But there are some who see nothing wrong with that.

lightbulbSo it's fair and balance, let them know that you support their stance.lightbulb

I can understand your stance. You're right, it's their opinion & they are entitled to voice it, asinine or not.

Just to play devil's advocate. The difference here is that, tying a dear to a tree IS illegal (where I hunt anyway), what we do is not. Now I know we are speaking semantics but my OCD doesn't care :D

Personally, we all have our own bias toward most any sport (mine is bow hunting). To deride you fellow sportsmen as B&C has done does nothing than deface our sport. They are driving a wedge where there should be none.

Feenix, I like your thinking & your stance, well done. I believe I may "borrrow" part of your letter to construct my own.

t

One thing about it, hunting ain't what it use to be. We have come a long way from pointed sticks. There is a big difference between someone that practices long range and someone that just shoots 5 or6 rounds at a milk jug at 100 yards and say that's good enought. For them to put it down, they need to go back to pointed sticks. I will admit, it is more about shooting than stand hunting or stalking. If you have practiced at the ranges you see game and are confident of the shot, 300,400,500,1000 yards, it is hunting. Years ago 500 yards was a long shot. Now we have range finders, better guns and bullets. The flintlock long rifle was the first long range rifle. The British Officers did not think it was right to be shot off their horse at 300 yards either. Where is it going to stop?? It's not.

...B&C has allowed numerous entries I personally know were taken either long range or by customers of massive guide services, sometimes more than one service. Also the purchased "Governor's Tags" which are beyond reach of the masses have been entered in their record books. There is no doubt unethical rifle, muzzleloader, archery and long range hunters exist, this is not a perfect world. B&C appears to have been influenced by some liberal outside interests. Just my opinion.

Thanks Dosh, thinkin' the same thing.

They're just jealous they didn't think of LRH first :D
These dudes probably fall in the group that thinks a 338 Lapua is only effective on game to 127 yards :rolleyes: 500 yard shots require a 50 cal, and 1000 yard hits only come with heat seeking missiles... Oh boy...

Feenix is right, getting upset here won't do much. I wasn't going to post or send a letter until I read his post. Longrange hunting has allowed me to harvest animals that otherwise would have left my freezer empty. Simply I love longrange hunting and shooting. Here was my contribution to their FB page. I'm diss appointed the the club would allow one of their members opinion to create a situation to divide the group.
My post...
I'll echo the sentiment of why divide us? The cover photo used is in such poor taste it's obvious it's purpose was to be disrespectful. Painting every hunter/shooter with the same broad stroke is uninformed at best. Just because you cannot shoot well at a particular range does not mean that applies to another. I have friends that hunt within the accepted range. Guess what these guys go out the week before season zero their rifles to good enough with a few shoots and go hunting. I however shoot a few times a month and hundreds of rounds a year have absolute confidence in every shot I take. These guys miss deer and are happy when they get one down. But I take a deer at 916 with one shot and I'm the unethical one? There is a misunderstanding between the groups and excluding one isn't the answer. There is a big difference between a hunter that is shooting beyond his range and a longrange hunter.
As feenix said if you have a problem let them know about it

so it looks like leupold will have to redo there B&C rec on there scopes to

25 50 75 and 100 yards .........:D

sorry i couldn't help myself on that one ...

but on a serious note i have seen this type of behaviour before and it's not good

for the gun owner .

i am in aus and we have a big problem with this sort of thing

and it gets all the different groups sniping at each other instead of keeping your

eye on the ball and that is keeping your guns in your possession.

cheers D

so it looks like leupold will have to redo there B&C rec on there scopes to

25 50 75 and 100 yards .........:D

sorry i couldn't help myself on that one ...

but on a serious note i have seen this type of behaviour before and it's not good

for the gun owner .

i am in aus and we have a big problem with this sort of thing

and it gets all the different groups sniping at each other instead of keeping your

eye on the ball and that is keeping your guns in your possession.

cheers D
LMFAO!!! Nice one! :D

As for the gun control issue....Yep, I believe the liberal agenda has now infiltrated almost every parameter of the gun and weapons industry. It is bullcrap, and we need to stand up and fight it, if we want to keep our guns and our rights.

**** straight mudrunner i still can't believe we can't organise here .

although there is now a political party called shooters and fishers

but the prob there is all these little mobs pushing there own agender

stealing votes .

people just don't see the BIG picture .

**** straight mudrunner i still can't believe we can't organise here .

although there is now a political party called shooters and fishers

but the prob there is all these little mobs pushing there own agender

stealing votes .

people just don't see the BIG picture .
Here in The States, we call those people, "sheeple"....Like a herd of sheep that just blindly follow and submissively give in without a fight.

Our country was founded with blood, guts, and sweat to avoid tyranny and dictatorship, but we have become so complacent, we've allowed ourselves to slowly get headed back in that direction again. I mean, for God sakes, the President has appointed people as "Czars"...... That should have been a HUGE red flag right there, but most people are so stupid, they never even batted an eye at it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.