Best weight bullet in 6.5x284 for Elk

I haven't shot an elk with my 6.5 Creeds, 6.5 PRC's or 6.5x284. I have with 7mm Rem Mag and 300 RUM. All with Barnes TTSX and TTSX. I shoulder shoot elk. Barnes are bone crushers. The go right down. I would like to try Hammer 6.5 124's and 181's in 30 cal. Have loads for both but have only shot one buck with 124. That because I had to use copper. I put a new barrel on 300 RUM and tried a load with Berger 215 and was so happy I quit. I have a great load for Berger 156 in 6.5 PRC and have killed a Muley buck and 2 WT does with it this year. Lights out DRT. I have also used 143 ELDX in 6.5 creedmoor on 3 doe lope and 4 doe lope. Out to 442 yds. All DRT. Same bullet in 6.5 PRC. Two Muley bucks. 4 doe WT. and 3 doe lope. All DRT. one WT buck and one doe lope with Berger 140 HVLD IN 6.5x284 both DRT. All bullets kill well when you place them where they should be and know the Berger on bone means hamburger and Barnes on bone means more steaks. I'm sure with Hammers also.

I'm generally a heavy magnum guy but as It got older I started downsizing. I went to from a 300 Weatherby to a 7mm RM and now have gotten into the 6.5's, I just shoot them better.

In 2019 I shot 2 raghorn 5x5 bulls (one in Colorado and one in Wyoming) with a 6.5 GAP 4S bought from our own Len Backus. Both elk were relatively close (250 and 150 yards). Both were shot with a 156 Berger and both dropped instantly when shot behind the shoulder. I did feel a little undergunned!

That said, I just had a 300 Weatherby and 300 WSM built. I guess I'll always be "a magnum guy". I do want to shoot an elk with my MOA Evolution in 6.5x284 with 156 Bergers, it's a dream to shoot.

I have seen elk killed and wounded with all calibers, there's just no making up for bad shot placement.

Well I don't know much about elk hunting, but have killed a some caribou, and a moose or two. Growing up the 270 with 140 grs killed both well, as did a bunch in our group. I have both a 6.5SST pushing 156 EOl's at 3000, and 28 NOS pushing 195 EOL's, when I go this year, I will probably take the 6.5SST, ballistics are better than my old .270, so who knows.

Perfect example of someone that knows his gun and how to put the bullet where it counts. Alot of guys have had bad experiences with less than 30 caliber rifles feel they are under gunned using anything less. Obviously they are. I'm not when I'm using my 6.5-284. No bad experiences all excellent results. Shoot what your confident with. Period.
Thank you! I shoot more in a year than most probably do in their lifetime learning and knowing what my gun does it what distances with what wins. But I prefer a close 200 yard shot every time you bet but I know if I'm hunting open country here in Montana I can reach out and still touch him. I've shot double figured number of deer with this rifle and six antelope and two elk and I've never had a bad experience with any of them. But I can honestly say not one shot has been outside of where it should be all of been in the ribs/lungs and I have watched them all drop. Do I prefer my 300 for elk if I'm just strictly elk hunting you bet but if I have my 65 284 I'm not worried or concerned about being under gunned after seeing what I have.

Now that's convincing!!!
If you find a mono that shoots to your desired accuracy level, remember you bullet velocity needs to be high enough to perform on the animal. The general rule of thumb with the Barnes monos is around 2000 fps is needed to provide proper expansion so the bullet does enough damage. I have not used or researched hammers, but I would assume since they are solid copper the number is likely around 2000 fps. This is a failure realized by long range hunters/shooters with both lead core and monos having a bullet going too slow to expand at the target. So, when I use the Barnes 127gr LRX in my 6.5 PRC I limit my max range to 700 yards as this is where the bullet runs down to 2000 fps. Good luck finding a bullet that shoots great in your rifle.

Thank you! I shoot more in a year than most probably do in their lifetime learning and knowing what my gun does it what distances with what wins. But I prefer a close 200 yard shot every time you bet but I know if I'm hunting open country here in Montana I can reach out and still touch him. I've shot double figured number of deer with this rifle and six antelope and two elk and I've never had a bad experience with any of them. But I can honestly say not one shot has been outside of where it should be all of been in the ribs/lungs and I have watched them all drop. Do I prefer my 300 for elk if I'm just strictly elk hunting you bet but if I have my 65 284 I'm not worried or concerned about being under gunned after seeing what I have.
I shoot alot of deer from 250-890 with my 6.5-284 every December for freezer meat. Guys on our lease want meat and the farmer I lease from has numerous doe tags. Gets a guy real familiar with his rifle as well as windage and elevation. I know of no other way to get as good of experience than shooting game with your preferred rifle. You also get to know how well various bullets perform.

I shoot alot of deer from 250-890 with my 6.5-284 every December for freezer meat. Guys on our lease want meat and the farmer I lease from has numerous doe tags. Gets a guy real familiar with his rifle as well as windage and elevation. I know of no other way to get as good of experience than shooting game with your preferred rifle. You also get to know how well various bullets perform.
That's some **** nice shooting sir! Yep I agree I have shot coyotes and some gophers in the off season with it as well. We have a rock shooting ridge where we can shoot as close as you want all the way to 1400 yards with several different ridges and wind angles. We do different shooting positions and "scenarios" every spring and early fall before big game season. We even do some exercises to get your heart rate up before we shoot to try and replicate walking up a mountain or adrenaline rush of seeing an animal. Obviously nothing compares for the adrenaline rush but it helps. Bench shooting is great but nothing like getting your heart rate up and trying to make a shot from field positions.

Let me start by saying I haven't read any of the others 8 pages of comments. But to answer your question I would use WHATEVER shoots best in your rifle if that's the gun you are going to hunt with. I would lean towards a heavier bullet for that caliber but if the lighter ones shoot consistently better run those. I would personally load up several powder and bullet combinations in each weight bullet I had with different types of powder and put in some range time. Find what shoots best and fine tune from there.

Totally different bullet designs and function. I'd bet you have pass through 95% of the time with the Barnes. The Berger, not so much.
Weight matters at distance. Light bullets shed energy much faster even in a solid design. They definitely stay together allowing better penetration than Berger's will but will shed energy way faster once hitting a target also depending on the range. I'd still go heavier with the solids on Elk if possible. Light works on deer size game but Elk are a different animal literally.

Weight matters at distance. Light bullets shed energy much faster even in a solid design. They definitely stay together allowing better penetration than Berger's will but will shed energy way faster once hitting a target also depending on the range. I'd still go heavier with the solids on Elk if possible. Light works on deer size game but Elk are a different animal literally.
You are correct. The problem with the heavy monos is the twist rate required. Unless you have a rifle dedicated to shoot them most people don't have the proper twist to shoot them.

Seems like there isn't a bullet that performs "perfectly" at all distances.

You are correct. The problem with the heavy monos is the twist rate required. Unless you have a rifle dedicated to shoot them most people don't have the proper twist to shoot them.

Seems like there isn't a bullet that performs "perfectly" at all distances.
Yep. That's a tough trade off.

Recent Posts