Best weight bullet in 6.5x284 for Elk

If my ***** with a 6.5-284 were gonna be under 500 yards and I needed an excellent bonded bullet, It'd be an easy decision. The 140 Nosler Partition would be THAT bullet. It's accurate at that range and it won't need to be a high BC bullet until beyond 500 yards to get around equal performance. .509 vs .490 BC.
The Partition is not bonded, it's just two separate lead cores with a partition between them. They also tend to shed more of their mass on impact than the bonded bullets like the Accubond.

Nope it's not but it's been the most popular Elk bullet for over 50 years for a reason. It never fails.
I don't know about that but it's still definitely at or near the top.

My preference runs towards the Accubond because of higher weight retention and a larger "mushroom" effect but they'll both get the job done if put in the right place.

I've submitted an application for an Elk hunt and want to be ready if I'm lucky. What weight should I use as I have 127gr LRX, 140GR ACCUBOND BT, 143GR ELDX, 140Gr VLD Hunting, 130GR VLD Hunting and 156EOLs. Thought of getting HAMMERs as they're very consistent in weight and structure. Any load guidance would help also.
All those will kill elk, I've seen or killed elk with all of them and I'd rank them 140 vld, 156 EOL, 130 vld, 140 AB, 143 elx and the last is the 127 lrx in a 6.5x284. The 143 eld and the 127 LRX are pretty much not on my go list anymore, the eld works great if it doesn't blow up and the 127 elx has just lead to extra holes in elk and more tracking.
I've killed a lot of elk with the 140 vld, I have only caught one in an elk and that was a big cow shot on a heavy quartering right in the middle of the heaviest shoulder bone blowing through that, destroying the front of the lungs and arteries at the front of the chest, found the bullet on the of side half way up the neck.
My buddy used a 6.5x284 with 140 Bergers on a good Alaskan bull moose, frontal shot right in the chest and thrashed both lungs and we found the bullet in the of side flank, second round middle of the neck dropping him, breaking his neck and exiting.
Last year his daughter using the same load put one behind a cow elks shoulder at 420, blowing a hole through her and breaking her of shoulder. I could keep going!!

My daughter shoots the 124 Hammer, and I do really dig them a lot!! One of each with the same bullet, 6.5 Creedmore and 124 Hammer.

Attachments

• IMG_20211114_164928004.jpg
    IMG_20211114_164928004.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20211128_122103386.jpg
    IMG_20211128_122103386.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 56
It's not about understanding my friend. When your hunt comes down to a 600y shot and the only opportunity you have is to blow through a shoulder, anyone holding a 6.5 anything will wish they had packed a fast .30 or .338 and a stoutly constructed bullet.
Na, never wished I had my RUM in that case even when at 800 yard, just watched the bullet impact and where the elk lands. Just like the same thing when I'm behind the 338 Rum, though it seems to get a better vapor trail.

Last edited:
Tested loads with 124gr Hammer Hunter and have one sub MOA group. Will share photos if it proves valid when I return to the range.