Best Elk Bullet for 300 win mag?

He loaded up some 200 AB, 190smk, and some 200tsx.. All just bullets we had laying around to play with in another buddies gun then never got around to it. He did order some 190 bergers yesterday too.

As for the A-max question. I heard a lot of mixed opinions on how well they work for hunting. I have never used them for hunting, but I have shot the 208 from my 300RUM to load develop while I was looking for 210 bergers.. I didn't think they flew well at all and they have this cheesy plastic tip on them that makes your OAL super inconsistent. I mean if you can get them to group well from your gun, it might be worth testing them to see if you would want to hunt with them. Because in the end you're still smacking something with 208 grains. On the other hand, I have also seen elk take 3 or 4 pretty well placed shots from 30 cal rifles before finally hitting the ground. My advice would be to spend the extra money for 210 vlds, 200tsx's, or 210 accubond long ranges. All 3 are bullets that have proved to be devastating in the field.

try the 175barnes lrx, the 200 lrx will not stabilize in a 1-11 twist. great bullet that is similar in design to a vld. as to powder, if your looking try ramshot magnum.

Shot my bull this year at 18 yards with a 215 hybrid, basically in self defense as he came to a cow call, with my 300 Dakota at 2975. Couldn't find an exit, couldn't find the bullet at all. But he collapsed DRT.

Shot a bear at 305 yards and it destroyed him, didn't take a step. Perfect performance.

Moral to the story is that the Bergers work great at lower velocities. Under 200 yards look to controlled expansion.

I have 1:11 in one of my .300 Win Mag and it will stabilize it; according to the recommended twist, it's marginal but perhaps it's because of my elevation - range is 3K' and hunt from 5-8K'.

How does elevation effect the twist rate? I just picked up a tikka t3 super lite and would like to shoot the Berger 210 grains or 215 grain bullet. Not sure if it is the best bullet choice, but I will be using it for an elk rifle primarily in Montana. I live in the Bozeman area

I am new to long range hunting. I personally like the high b.c. of the Bergers, and after seeing what the Bergers do after going through bone. I have had discussions concerning bullet weight retention verses bullet fragmentation, and am not sure why you would want a bullet that only opens up to about twice its normal size. My thinking is that you want as much damage as possible inside the animal not a hole through the animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX
I have 1:11 in one of my .300 Win Mag and it will stabilize it; according to the recommended twist, it's marginal but perhaps it's because of my elevation - range is 3K' and hunt from 5-8K'.
How does elevation effect the twist rate? I just picked up a tikka t3 super lite and would like to shoot the Berger 210 grains or 215 grain bullet. Not sure if it is the best bullet choice, but I will be using it for an elk rifle primarily in Montana. I live in the Bozeman area

Elevation CANNOT affect a barrel's rate of twist. Bullet designers/manufacturers has a recommended barrel's rate of twist to best stabilize their bullet and achieve the best BC. However, elevation can influence BC and stabilization ...

finish-02-look-down.gif

You may get good groups, but look for the BC to be 5% to 10% reduced due to the marginal stability. Unless you're at high altitude.

-Bryan
(http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-215s-1-11-twist-300-wm-146672/)

Several of my 1000 yard comp BBLs are 1-11 in 300 WBY, and are VERY accurate with the Berger 210 VLD. I saw no difference between them and the 1-10 tubes....all done with the same reamer.

So, is there any way to tell if the bullets will stabilize at my altitude?

The Berger Team provided an excellent guide/recommendation; IIWY, I'd give it a try as your "ACTUAL" output might yield better than you might think. If you go to Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets , select the 215, 1:11" twist, use 2800 FPS (???) for muzzle velocity with 0' altitude, your SG is 1.19 ... change the altitude to 4800' (range altitude???) and your SG increases to 1.42. Granted it is still marginal (based on the software) but if you hunt at 7000'+ your SG is now 1.54 (in the comfortable SG); increase the velocity, altitude, and rate of twist and your SG increases ... I think you got the gist ...

Anyways, there are members here that are pushing the envelope and one of the best source is another Montanan ...

I know "MontanaMarine" sent some 215 Bergers from his 308 and I believe it was a 12 twist. He was encouraged with the results but agree a 10 would probably be better. The other day we were shooting and he was shooting 208 Amax's from this 308 rifle with great long range accuracy even at the 1122 yard target. I spotted for him while he put two (first being a cold bore) consecutive hits on a cantaloupe sized rock in the 750 yard range.

I guess my point is he is a good solid source of data if you want to go long with a 308 with heavy bullets. If he doesn't chime in here you could pm him.

Jeff

Good luck!

Ed

Feenix, Thanks for the links and the insight. I am new to this long range game. I have shot competitively with Large Bore silhouette, but it has been awhile and a lot has changed since then. The links are much appreciated.

Feenix, Thanks for the links and the insight. I am new to this long range game. I have shot competitively with Large Bore silhouette, but it has been awhile and a lot has changed since then. The links are much appreciated.

You're quite welcome, I don't think you'll have any trouble transitioning into LR.

Cheers!