best powder for 300 win mag and 180grn bullets

I'm using 73 gr imr4350, CCI250 with 168 sst and getting about .75MOA in the same gun you picked up. I"m sure with more practice, I can get that lower.

75 gr of RL-22 with the Nolser Accubond. This is probably the most mentioned 180 gr recipe for the 300 Win Mag. All I know is it worked very well in my gun.

I used H-4831sc with a 180 ballistic tip in a friends gun. I wasn't limited by mag length however, as it was a Ruger #1. In his 26" barrel, I was getting 3210 based off of my chronograph and trajectory validation out to 800 yds. The bullet was seated .010" off lands, so I had more cartridge capacity than what most would have. Brass was still good after 3 loadings, no loose primer pockets or anything. I wouldn't expect to get this performance in a gun limited by mag length or it I had anything less than a 26" barrel. load was way over the listed max.

Did a little testing at the range yesterday Tikka T3 lite 300WM, IMR4350 and 180gr TTSX for a hunting load. only tried 3 charges (68, 69, 70gr) and 70 was the best group, but not as good as the groups I get with the 168gr. Barnes lists 69.3 gr max witht he 180gr, so may try 70.5 and 71 and see if the groups are better and see if there are any pressure signs.

Did a little testing at the range yesterday Tikka T3 lite 300WM, IMR4350 and 180gr TTSX for a hunting load. only tried 3 charges (68, 69, 70gr) and 70 was the best group, but not as good as the groups I get with the 168gr. Barnes lists 69.3 gr max witht he 180gr, so may try 70.5 and 71 and see if the groups are better and see if there are any pressure signs.

Those monolithic bullets are long for their weight, I usually go down a size when I use them, did the box have recommended twist rates, what were they?

75.5 grains reloader 22 paired with 180 accubond or 180 BT. ive personally loaded these for 5 different 300 WM's all shot 1 MOA or less.

CCI 250 primer.

Yep, 3 of my barrels liked that load also. Universal load:)

I prefer 7828 now days but that load works like a charm.

76gr R22 and 180 XBT. You could probably get the same results with 75.6gr and the 180 TTSX. Its an awesome killer....way out there!

I know its been a long time since I started this thread but I thought I'd post an update for anyone using the search function.

I finally got my hands on some H1000 and started working up loads. Got to 81.5 grains on a WLRM primer in Nosler brass behind 180 gr NBT's without any pressure signs, but didn't see any really great groups but the best (about 1.5 MOA @ 200 yards) was around 80.5.

Changed over to the BR2 primers and lost some velocity but the groups improved a little. Worked the load back up to 81.3 and it started to get good. Its printing a solid .75 MOA group @ 200 now which I'm happy with considering how light the rifle is.

The velocity came in right at 3030 fps. I've got three loads on my test brass and haven't had to trim it or seen any looseness in the primer pockets.

I started playing with some 175gr barnes LRX bullets in anticipation of an Elk trip I'm taking this Autumn. They're shooting nearly identical speeds with the loads from the 180gr NBT's and got accurate at the same charges (70.5 with the IMR-4831 and 81.3 with the H1000)

I would characterized the 4831 load as being on the large side of acceptable.

The H1000 load seems to shoot real good (sub MOA) but I haven't shot it enough to attest to how good.

One thing I can say is that the BC seems to be a little exaggerated compared to the Noslers. I intend to dope it out from 200 to 600 yards as soon as I get a Saturday morning where the wind is low so I'll post the results once I do.

Something that has be concerned is the humidity, has any one ever had condensation inside there cases cause problems when you shoot loads in cold conditions that you loaded in the summer time?

I'm probably paranoid but I'm considering trying to dehumidify my room for a few days before I load the ammo for Elk hunting.

Something that has be concerned is the humidity, has any one ever had condensation inside there cases cause problems when you shoot loads in cold conditions that you loaded in the summer time?

I'm probably paranoid but I'm considering trying to dehumidify my room for a few days before I load the ammo for Elk hunting.

If the room is air conditioned, the air conditioner dehumidifys to some extent. I really don't think there is an issue. I would not bring brass that was stored in a cold room into a hot humid reloading room though. The cold brass might allow condensation to form on it. If the brass is at the same ambiant temp as the reloading room, I see no issue. The powder dislaces the majority of the air in the case anyways.

The room is air conditioned, like I said I'm probably being paranoid but this trip is a big deal to me so I'm trying to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot both literally and figuratively.

H1000 is a temp stable powder so that should help if the elk hunt is in cold temps. I think your biggest issue will be the altitude affecting your dope data. You will be going from SC altitudes to probably 5~6000 feet or more in elevation. It will affect your drops.

We'll shoot the rifles to verify zeros before we head out to camp, I'm placing a 400 yard limit on myself for this trip, hoping that the vital zone on an elk is big enough to accommodate the change in dopes. Honesty I'm more concerned with nerves.