Best weight bullet in 6.5x284 for Elk

Eric H

I've submitted an application for an Elk hunt and want to be ready if I'm lucky. What weight should I use as I have 127gr LRX, 140GR ACCUBOND BT, 143GR ELDX, 140Gr VLD Hunting, 130GR VLD Hunting and 156EOLs. Thought of getting HAMMERs as they're very consistent in weight and structure. Any load guidance would help also.

Guess it depends on where you are hunting and the terrain. 2 of the youth hunters I took this winter killed their cows with my 6.5x284 with 127 LRX. One at 285 just behind the should and went 20 yards the other 165 yards just below the ear, down with a sizable hole. Have killed quite a few cow elk with 130 AB's out to 565 with out issues.

I've submitted an application for an Elk hunt and want to be ready if I'm lucky. What weight should I use as I have 127gr LRX, 140GR ACCUBOND BT, 143GR ELDX, 140Gr VLD Hunting, 130GR VLD Hunting and 156EOLs. Thought of getting HAMMERs as they're very consistent in weight and structure. Any load guidance would help also.

I can't imagine that any of them wouldn't work well with proper shot placement. However, since you mentioned the Hammer bullets as a consideration; I'd go with the 124HH which is their most popular 6.5 bullet, or so I've been told. They shoot very well out of my 6.5PRC and their terminal performance is at least as good as they claim, maybe better.

The other good thing about Hammer bullets is that you can ALWAYS get them. No searching all over the internet praying that the bullet you need will become available before you leave for your hunt.

Last edited: