Best weight bullet in 6.5x284 for Elk

Sure, when everything goes right, it will be just fine. I prefer not to hunt with the "if everything goes right" cartridge. I'm not criticizing people who do, just not my gig.
Everything's gotta go right with any cartridge. Namely shot placement. That's what counts. The 6.5-284 has everything it needs with a 140 to anchor an Elk at 500 yards plus. Easily. Bigger may be a better option but that isn't the question.

Sure, when everything goes right, it will be just fine. I prefer not to hunt with the "if everything goes right" cartridge. I'm not criticizing people who do, just not my gig.
A 6.5 will do everything a 30 will do when you hit them in the right spot. Hunting requires a good bullet, a 30 will blow up on a shoulder just like a 6.5 if you use the wrong bullet. This is an age old debate that people seem not to understand

A 6.5 will do everything a 30 will do when you hit them in the right spot. Hunting requires a good bullet, a 30 will blow up on a shoulder just like a 6.5 if you use the wrong bullet. This is an age old debate that people seem not to understand
It's not about understanding my friend. When your hunt comes down to a 600y shot and the only opportunity you have is to blow through a shoulder, anyone holding a 6.5 anything will wish they had packed a fast .30 or .338 and a stoutly constructed bullet.

Everything's gotta go right with any cartridge. Namely shot placement. That's what counts. The 6.5-284 has everything it needs with a 140 to anchor an Elk at 500 yards plus. Easily. Bigger may be a better option but that isn't the question.
I didn't think the last sentence of my paragraph was going to derail the conversation, but when someone asks for advice, it is in bad form to withhold what you really think.

Any variables come into play. Not just bullet construction even tho that's a big factor. Shot placement means the most. Shoulder shots wouldn't happen on an Elk unless I'm using a bigger heavier bullet. Patience is the thing many don't have in their tool belt when that moment comes. Many won't pass up a shoulder shot for no shot. That's more important than pulling the trigger.

I didn't think the last sentence of my paragraph was going to derail the conversation, but when someone asks for advice, it is in bad form to withhold what you really think.
I agree. He simply asked which bullet for that cartridge. Sure there are better options but many, many Elk have been killed at very long ranges with his chosen cartridge.

@Greyfox and @Rick Richard might have lend their experience here…

I have not shot sn elk with my 6.5x284's but several years ago I observed two bull elk taken between 500 and 600 yards with s 6.5x284 loaded with 140 Berger HVLD's at 2980 FPS. Both hit behind the shoulder. One DRT, the other down and dead in less then 25 yards. Based on those experiences I would have no issue using a 6.5x284 with that bullet on Elk.

What is the twist rate of your 6.5-284 , that will be very important too choose the proper bullet for your Elk Hunt for example ,the 121 gr Hammer needs 1-9 or faster and the 123 absolute hammer and 124 gr needs a 1-8 or faster and the 131 gr needs a 1.-7.5 or faster . I'm sure the 127 gr Barnes and the 156 eol would need at least a 1-8 or faster twist . This being said if you are going too use a 6.5-284 for Elk the Hammer bullet penetrates better than any of the other bullets mentioned.

What is the twist rate of your 6.5-284 , that will be very important too choose the proper bullet for your Elk Hunt for example ,the 121 gr Hammer needs 1-9 or faster and the 123 absolute hammer and 124 gr needs a 1-8 or faster and the 131 gr needs a 1.-7.5 or faster . I'm sure the 127 gr Barnes and the 156 eol would need at least a 1-8 or faster twist . This being said if you are going too use a 6.5-284 for Elk the Hammer bullet penetrates better than any of the other bullets mentioned.
I shot my 5x5 with a 143 ELDX . Was only 100 yards DRT. Also took my Dall Sheep same bullet at 525 yards DRT. Buddy shot his 6x6 at 400 yards DRT. Is it ideal caliber probably not. But if you do your part it will do it's.

Recent Posts