Best weight bullet in 6.5x284 for Elk

Sorry, but my experience with 140 class projectiles is not in favor of elk size game unless close and perfect placement. My minimum for big animals is 180 grain. Hey, everyone has an opinion.
Those that have had bad experiences with the 6.5 on Elk, find a better cartridge. Those that have had excellent success, why look any further. Pretty much sums it up. This thread is exactly how reviews of a product go. Typically 50/50

Last edited:
Those that have had bad experiences with the 6.5 on Elk, find a better cartridge. Those that have had excellent success, why look any further. Pretty much sums it up. This thread is exactly how reviews of a product go. Typically 50/50
I am not a proponent of being over gunned since that brings its own set of problems and usually to the shooter, however being under gunned usually means bad things to come to the animal. This why I have rifles dedicated for deer size game and rifles for elk size game…no one "do all".

I am not a proponent of being over gunned since that brings its own set of problems and usually to the shooter, however being under gunned usually means bad things to come to the animal. This why I have rifles dedicated for deer size game and rifles for elk size game…no one "do all".
Yep agreed. Some don't have that luxury tho. I have a few buddy's that are in that category. Sometimes having too many options is as bad. Good problem to have IMO.

I've submitted an application for an Elk hunt and want to be ready if I'm lucky. What weight should I use as I have 127gr LRX, 140GR ACCUBOND BT, 143GR ELDX, 140Gr VLD Hunting, 130GR VLD Hunting and 156EOLs. Thought of getting HAMMERs as they're very consistent in weight and structure. Any load guidance would help also.
156 eol

I've submitted an application for an Elk hunt and want to be ready if I'm lucky. What weight should I use as I have 127gr LRX, 140GR ACCUBOND BT, 143GR ELDX, 140Gr VLD Hunting, 130GR VLD Hunting and 156EOLs. Thought of getting HAMMERs as they're very consistent in weight and structure. Any load guidance would help also.
Whatever groups the most consistent.

I have taken seven animals with my 6.5x284 since I acquired it and have not had one get out of sight. The largest being a great Kudu bull is SA at just over 400 yards using a 140 grain Berger. I would not hesitate to use it on a Bull Elk. Shot placement is everything, IMO and if you don't have a good shot don't take it! I would agree with "hecouldgoalltheway" in that if it was a once in a lifetime deal on an elk hunt the 6.5 x 284 would not be my first choice but I think it will do the trick as long as you do your part. I have taken bulls with much smaller calibers and considerably lighter bullets. I shoot the 124 hammer hunters in my 6.5 PRC and they shoot lights out, unfortunately I have only taken deer and antelope with them. I believe that they would work well on an Elk as well.

It would be nice if folks would stay on the OPs question of "what weight bullet would work best in the 6.5-284" he then lists his available options!

I've killed Elk with 6.5-284 and the 140 Berger. Here's what I've used. Longest shot 525. Took 3 steps and crumbled up. This runs 3012 FPS out of a 24" barrel and is a load right on the edge, so start 2-3 grains lower and work up.
I would also consider the 144 HVLD and I will move to this when I run out of 140 VLDs. On the 144 open up the tip with a jewelers wire .060 bit and change your bc by .002. This bullet has performed well for me in a different 6.5 cartridge on game. I can send you 25 of the 144's to experiment with if you'd like, just PM me.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I have shot 9 bulls with the 6.5x284. I have had the best performance with the Barnes bullets 120 grain ttx and 127 grain lrx. Longest blood trail around 30 yards, longest shot 425. I tried the Berger 130 VLD… not a good experience (bullet fragmented, only one hole) - found the elk by luck only. Same thing happened on a black bear.

143 ELD-X WOULD BE MY CHOICE

With the higher speeds of your caliber I'd reccomend the 127lrx or either if the nosler AB/ABLR. Also think about the swift Aframe or Scirocco.....I'd personally stay away from anything not bonded, shanked or solid.

Recent Posts