Best weight bullet in 6.5x284 for Elk

Over gunned? Is a 300 RUM over gunned for antelope & whitetail? I shot 6 of them last season with no issues. Besides my 338 Edge, my RUMS are my do all guns...
For me it is since I can easily take those smaller animals with my 6.5X47 and having them in one piece. However, what ever "floats your boat" as they say.

Besides, over gunned as mentioned in my previous post was more focused on those folks (not game) who can't manage a magnum or big bore gun. You know, they have developed bad habits like flinching, fear of pulling the trigger and the pounding recoil... High probability of wounding an animal.

Last edited:
So... Interesting question, even though not 6.5/284 related, but 6.5SST. I have the 156 EOL shooting, working well on game from my rifle. I am assuming I am going elk hunting in the fall, should I develop loads around the 139 Hammer, it will stabilize in my rifle and I have the components to develop? It the performance that much better than the 156?
I wouldn't hesitate for one second to use the 156 on an elk

I'll second that, I have killed a mature Cape Eland with the 156 at 500 yards. Now, a harder bullet would be better on Eland, but I wouldn't hesitate shooting an elk with one.
The Hammer will give you a wider margin of shot placement behind the shoulder in the shoulder , close up or impact vel down too 1800 fps what ever range that may be . You can choose from there

The Hammer will give you a wider margin of shot placement behind the shoulder in the shoulder , close up or impact vel down too 1800 fps what ever range that may be . You can choose from there
True, as I said a harder bullet would be a better choice on larger game, but many bullets in the right place will easily do the job. I used a mono for this reason on my last elk hunt. Unfortunately, like most western hunts, no triggers were pulled and no animals were harmed hahaha so I didn't get to try them. I have used Bergers and Accubonds on elk with deadly results previously.

So what did you find at the impact site? Blood? Hair? How far did you track it? Ever find it?
Seems like the 143gr ELDX has taken over as king of the wide range of results. My personal experience is only 4 deer but the bullet did fine, all pass throughs and no more meat loss than other bullet Iv'e used.

I've submitted an application for an Elk hunt and want to be ready if I'm lucky. What weight should I use as I have 127gr LRX, 140GR ACCUBOND BT, 143GR ELDX, 140Gr VLD Hunting, 130GR VLD Hunting and 156EOLs. Thought of getting HAMMERs as they're very consistent in weight and structure. Any load guidance would help also.
I have used the 140 grain Berger VLDs with great success in my 260 Rem out to just shy of 1000 yards on a cow elk. Your 6.5x284 would do better. I have not used the new 156 Grains yet. USMC scout sniper from Barbercreak long range shooting school said they are not expanding properly in ballistics jell. He shows a video on it. I'll try and find it for you.

This would be my Elk load.
Load should be worked up from 2grs under.
5DF770E9-7DD5-4378-9208-FF8A018A0F95.jpeg

I've submitted an application for an Elk hunt and want to be ready if I'm lucky. What weight should I use as I have 127gr LRX, 140GR ACCUBOND BT, 143GR ELDX, 140Gr VLD Hunting, 130GR VLD Hunting and 156EOLs. Thought of getting HAMMERs as they're very consistent in weight and structure. Any load guidance would help also.
If it were me I'd just go with the 140gr Accubond and limit my shots to 400, maybe 500yds max.

For an elk hunt I'd want the most consistent bonded bullet I could lay my hands on period.

Yes the bullets you list are going to have higher BC's but that difference in BC will make little to no appreciable difference inside of 500yds.

The most important thing is just to be able to put whatever bullet you choose where it belongs leaving as little to chance as possible.

If it were me I'd just go with the 140gr Accubond and limit my shots to 400, maybe 500yds max.

For an elk hunt I'd want the most consistent bonded bullet I could lay my hands on period.

Yes the bullets you list are going to have higher BC's but that difference in BC will make little to no appreciable difference inside of 500yds.

The most important thing is just to be able to put whatever bullet you choose where it belongs leaving as little to chance as possible.
If my shots with a 6.5-284 were gonna be under 500 yards and I needed an excellent bonded bullet, It'd be an easy decision. The 140 Nosler Partition would be THAT bullet. It's accurate at that range and it won't need to be a high BC bullet until beyond 500 yards to get around equal performance. .509 vs .490 BC.

Last edited: