Any recommended gun safes? Liberty Revere 72 vs Cannon Wide Body 64??

I recently went through a house fire that resulted in total loss. I had a Liberty
FatBoy 64 & Cannon Armory 100 in my basement in the corner. They both did their job over all considering how much powder and other debris was in the area of the safes and the house collapsing all into the basement, creating a fire pit that was hot for 3 days. The Liberty was much harder to open by an experienced lock smith. Took over two hours, a dozen cutting discs, prying & hammering. The Cannon was open in 20min and took one cutting disc. When it comes to safes, you get what you pay for and buy the best you can afford. Put them on. The ground floor and in the corner to avoid less debris falling on top of them. Liberty is also made in America in Utah and their warranty team was great.

I recently went through a house fire that resulted in total loss. I had a Liberty
FatBoy 64 & Cannon Armory 100 in my basement in the corner. They both did their job over all considering how much powder and other debris was in the area of the safes and the house collapsing all into the basement, creating a fire pit that was hot for 3 days. The Liberty was much harder to open by an experienced lock smith. Took over two hours, a dozen cutting discs, prying & hammering. The Cannon was open in 20min and took one cutting disc. When it comes to safes, you get what you pay for and buy the best you can afford. Put them on. The ground floor and in the corner to avoid less debris falling on top of them. Liberty is also made in America in Utah and their warranty team was great.
So did all 3 safes protect your items?

My thoughts on SPENDING THE MONEY on a high quality safe:

I initially intended to get an insurance rider on my homeowner's policy to insure my firearms. Based on a few quotes that I received, it would cost almost 10% (annually) of the value of whatever I wanted to insure. That would mean that in the first 10 years I would have paid out so much money to insure the firearms that I could have bought them all again. That didn't make any sense to me.

Looking for a high quality safe was an eye opener too because the safes were $4,000 and up. My wife and I discussed spending that much money on a safe and we agreed that the loss of a single custom rifle would exceed the cost of a safe which could hold nearly every firearm I owned. That clearly made a lot of sense to us both.

Now, about 15 years later; I saved a ton of money by not giving it to the insurance company, the safe still looks brand new and it remains a rather pleasant focal point in the room. And when I drop dead my wife can liquidate my collection and sell the safe for more money than I paid.

Take the plunge and SPEND THE MONEY! LOL
You should still have your firearms insured especially if they are of high value. Forget your homeowner's insurance. Get firearm's insurance. It's dirt cheap for the amount of coverage and they aren't bossy about what you have.

You should still have your firearms insured especially if they are of high value. Forget your homeowner's insurance. Get firearm's insurance. It's dirt cheap for the amount of coverage and they aren't bossy about what you have.

Could you recommend a reliable and inexpensive company for us to consider?

Roughly how much does it cost? I assume it is just based on the value of your guns? Does it cover accessories like extra scopes, etc?

Roughly how much does it cost? I assume it is just based on the value of your guns? Does it cover accessories like extra scopes, etc?
Could you recommend a reliable and inexpensive company for us to consider?
There's a link in my post. I haven't renewed for this year yet but last year it was $0.35 per $100 of coverage. So for easy math $10,000 in coverage would be $35.00 per year.

My original post got butchered by autocorrect. bossy should have said nosey.

Eastern has a minimum $150/year which covers $40,000

They raised the coverage for ammo and reloading a couple of years ago to cover

$5,000 sublimit for Ammunition and a separate $5,000 sublimit for Reloading

You can do scheduled or unscheduled. I do the $150 for $40,000 unscheduled so that I don't have to itemize and provide every serial number.

They give a 5% discount if you're an NRA member

Eastern has a minimum $150/year which covers $40,000

They raised the coverage for ammo and reloading a couple of years ago to cover

$5,000 sublimit for Ammunition and a separate $5,000 sublimit for Reloading

You can do scheduled or unscheduled. I do the $150 for $40,000 unscheduled so that I don't have to itemize and provide every serial number.

They give a 5% discount if you're an NRA member

Wow, I'm going to have to check when my renewal comes up: it is cheaper than Collectibles Ins.

Has anyone built an enclosure around their safe?
Yes.
I added 2 - 5/8" layers of sheetrock to the back of my safe, 3 - 5/8" layers of sheetrock to each side of the safe, and 4 - 5/8" layers of sheetrock over the top of the safe.

The welded steel enclosure is bolted to a garage wall, and also bolted to the concrete slab. The safe itself is also bolted to the concrete slab. The enclosure frame consists of 3/8" x 2" x 2" angle iron. The two inner sides of the enclosure are covered with 1/8" thick steel plate, and the inner top is covered with 1/4" thick steel plate. The steel enclosure with sheetrock weighed about 650lbs. The Liberty safe weighs 980lbs

There was a 1/2" gap between the exterior walls, and the top, of the Liberty safe and the steel framed enclosure. That 1/2" gap was sealed with 3/4" fire rope, rated to 2000F, and the fire rope caulked in place with caulk also rated to 2000F.

If my house burns to the ground, the gun safe enclosure will still be standing, and I expect my firearms will be protected from fire damage, and remain safe for use. I believe the sheetrocked enclosure has more than doubled the factory fire rating of the safe.

I don't remember, for certain, what the materials for the enclosure cost. I think around $800 for the steel and sheetrock materials - about 5yrs ago. I fabricated and welded it together myself. If a guy had to hire out for the construction of the enclosure, and the installation of the safe in the enclosure, I'd guess a fabricator/welder/contractor would charge at least $2,000. Probably closer to $3,000. The enclosure is a beast.

The Liberty gun safe I purchased cost $2,000. And there was a $200 delivery fee.

Recent Posts