Any recommended gun safes? Liberty Revere 72 vs Cannon Wide Body 64??

That's crazy - seems almost to good to be true lol. I mean $40k of coverage for $150 per year?? That's amazing. I am going to call my homeowners and see roughly how much insurance costs to add through them, I imagine it is around that price and probably only covers $10k.

Do you know anyone that has filed a claim with Eastern? Just curious how it ended up being on that end. If there is no appraisal, what would happen in the event were you would need to file a claim?
I haven't filed a claim but all reviews I read when looking were positive.

You are buying a full replacement blanket policy. If you have $20k worth of coverage and it cost $3k to replace your rifle and accessories you are good. You aren't insuring each firearm individually.

Browning safes have a really cool feature now. A recess in the door panel that accommodates scoped rifles! Pretty sure my next safe will be a Browning for that reason. My uncle has a Liberty safe with digital combo. It started sticking real bad and he couldn't open it. Spent around $40 in 9v batteries thinking he kept buying bad batteries. I pulled the inside door panel off and greased the sliding parts and fixed it. But i was definitely very unimpressed with the lockwork inside the door. Whatever you decide to buy, do yourself a huge favor and look inside the door panel first.

I recently went through a house fire that resulted in total loss. I had a Liberty
FatBoy 64 & Cannon Armory 100 in my basement in the corner. They both did their job over all considering how much powder and other debris was in the area of the safes and the house collapsing all into the basement, creating a fire pit that was hot for 3 days. The Liberty was much harder to open by an experienced lock smith. Took over two hours, a dozen cutting discs, prying & hammering. The Cannon was open in 20min and took one cutting disc. When it comes to safes, you get what you pay for and buy the best you can afford. Put them on. The ground floor and in the corner to avoid less debris falling on top of them. Liberty is also made in America in Utah and their warranty team was great.
What was the cause of the fire?

Lots of good points!
My original intention was to get one very large, good quality safe and be done with it. The more I thought about it, though, 2 smaller safes made way more sense to me.
A smaller safe that weighs, say, 600-800 pounds is manageable for 2-3 men with a decent dolly to get into the house. Once it's bolted down, it's just as secure that way as a 1500 pound behemoth.
The thing I like about having two safes is that the theives will basically have to pick one.
One has reloading supplies, the other has guns.
Just my $.02

Eastern has a minimum $150/year which covers $40,000

They raised the coverage for ammo and reloading a couple of years ago to cover

$5,000 sublimit for Ammunition and a separate $5,000 sublimit for Reloading

You can do scheduled or unscheduled. I do the $150 for $40,000 unscheduled so that I don't have to itemize and provide every serial number.

They give a 5% discount if you're an NRA member
Oof, that's not much for ammo, or reloading supplies. At today's prices that might not cover the 22lr in the house. And if you had a hundred pounds of powder at $50/#, nothing else would be covered. But I like the idea of unscheduled coverage for the firearms. Will have to see how they consider value. I know some require an appraisal from a shop. One guy I worked with had to haul his stuff in once a year! I was like, yeah no thanks.

Concrete type material is a very poor insulator once it gets heat soaked. AMSEC still uses it for sure, not sure about others.

Sturdy safe uses a mineral wool type fire insulation designed for use in large hi temp oven type enclosures.
You want refractory cement mix, which is a lot lighter. Like insulating fire brick. It's very heat resistant but not physically durable.

I talked with my friend whose place burned down. His 3 Cannon safes were different sizes. Stuff in the big one was okay except for a little water damage from the water. Medium one mostly okay but a few pistol cases near the wall started to melt, not sure about the pistols yet. Stuff in the little one was not so good, might all be lost. I'm heading to NM next week and hope to visit them, maybe get a little more detail. Gonna give him an extra AR we have lying around the house.

While visiting in Seattle Washington I went to a safe shop and was told my Liberty safe was made in 2000 and I bought it in 2004.
He further said the newer safes are way better than the older ones in fire protection.He sold many different safes and knew his stuff.
Do yourself a favor and visit a safe shop and talk to the guys that sells them all.They will have different makers of safes as well as different sizes.
Prices are going to be a bit more than you were quoted but they will tell you if that is a good safe and a good buy.
Like Len said your guns are important to you so go as high as you possibly can afford.Important papers,will and credit cards are in our safe.

Watch a few you tube videos. I will tell you none of the lower end safes provide the protection or fire length they claim. I have a liberty and a old none fire Browning. The browning is 3 times the thickness with a real plate door and frame. Also thick panels.
A axe or angle grinder can cut through my liberty sidewalls like it's nothing. Crooks can peel a safe faster than they can slide it and flip it into a truck. Bolt it down!!!
Edit. Mine are old school dials. Wish I would have gotten electronic on my liberty.
I have the canon wide body it seems OK ,I know there are better but at a significant cost .I have the electronic keypad but wish I would've got the locking dial that way you must know the combination and have the key to unlock the dial I've been told if you simply knock off the keypad and touch a 9 V battery to the red and black wire the canon will open right up not very secure

I have the canon wide body it seems OK ,I know there are better but at a significant cost .I have the electronic keypad but wish I would've got the locking dial that way you must know the combination and have the key to unlock the dial I've been told if you simply knock off the keypad and touch a 9 V battery to the red and black wire the canon will open right up not very secure
Yikes, that is a concern and I can see how it would/could work. They were all smashed off I have seen. My older eyes have finally caught up to me, and I would miss a number mark and then get frustrated. I finally installed some new lights in that area just last week and magically can see just fine now. Wow it shocks me how stubborn and stuck in my old don't need to update ways.

Last edited:
I think someone is pulling your leg. The code is stored ininside teh safe, you can replace keypad, but still need original code. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

I think someone is pulling your leg. The code is stored ininside teh safe, you can replace keypad, but still need original code. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.
That is correct. If it's a UL listed lock (any safe sold as such should be) then it's nowhere near that simple. That being said, I just don't trust them. But you can go overboard. Mine has a S&G Group 1R manipulation proof lock, like the government uses on containers for classified stuff. The wheels are nylon so it cannot be x-rayed to open that way, and it has a special latch that keeps the fence off the wheels so you cannot feel the gates like you see guys doing in the movies. But the thermal relocker got me when it sat in the TX sun for a week, and I had to drill into my own safe! When I spoke with the tech at S&G he said that lock was way overkill, and that their electronic locks are virtually failproof.