Moving gun safes, and removing door???

wasgas

Last week I purchased another gun safe 800+lbs it is the largest I can fit in the area it needs to be sotred in and there is ne extra room for manuvering around corners and down a hall way. I need to remove the door to position it and also shed some of the weight for moving it, the book says in bold DO NOT REMOVE DOOR UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANSES (Winchester) My other safe is nearly identical size and I simply removed the door for installation ease no issues this lowered the weightconsiderable, and made it much easier to move? This one the door does not seem to lift off of the hinges?

I have read where people have suggested moving them on golf balls but I have about 25' of hardwood floors to cross and don't want to damage them.

Any pointers will be appreciated, it is not this exact model but very similar to this one?
Ranger45-Granite Gloss

Lay a carpet runner down, or e en an old blanket, then lay plywood down on top of that. It should protect your floor just fine from a lot more than 800#.
I have moved quite a few safes being in comercial construction, & yours being only 800ish lbs is light enough for a good dolly/hand truck. My dad, my uncle, & I moved dads huge Browning safe out of a moving truck, down the driveway, up the steps into the house, & accross the carpet floor with a single heavy duty handtruck. It was some work, but easily doable with 3 guys.
On concretfloors we usually use pipes for rollers, or some guys use Ice cubes, but I like the golf ball idea. Never thought of that one. I'd give it a whirl on plywood.
Don't tamper with the door. Incase of fire etc. your insurance will not cover anything in your safe if the safe has been tampered with in any way. No matter how many hour fire rating it has. If your firearms are appraised & insured, that can be a huge deal.
Good luck

Forgot to mention to have a lot of shims handy, & a "Burke Bar" for positioning, & lowering the safe down softly a little bit at a time.
If you don't have access to a Burke Bar, (all steel bar, looks kinda like a 4 foot long j bar on steroids) & need to find/rent one, they are used for moving Giant concrete tilt wall pannels into place. Also handy to have. Johnsen Bar (long wood handle, slightly angled steel plate, with two wheels).

Just adding to Winmags. Dont know if he meant a appliance dolly w/strap, which probably would work, we have different sizes of flat dollies and with a few guys tip back safe, slide dolly under etc.If you have to by ply get OSB if you dont have a later use for it, lot cheaper.

Well I am on my 15 minute union break from just moving the safe and it is now in position. We moved it into the house with the door on and then set it down on 50 small rubber bouncie balls ($12 investment) and my 9 year old could slide it on wood or carpet, they worked great. I cannot believe how easily it turnes corners that way.lightbulb

When i purchased my Liberty safe delivery was included up to a point and as mine was within it no extra cost, But depending on were you purchased your safe the delivery charge may not not be that much and they are the PRO'S.

Dude, my Rottweiler dog is a far better guardian of my firearms, belongings, and my own hide than your gun safe ever could be in your wildest juvenile mastubatory dreams.

You buy a VERY cheap gun safe and set it somewhere obvious as a decoy for thieves to break into while your valuable firearms are somewhere else. That is, if you are too cheap to not have the Rottweiler or similar dog in the first place.

Why pay for a gun safe that only advertises where your guns are stored when you could have a couple of big aggressive dogs that will protect EVERYTHING around the house??? When professional thieves were questioned, they said they always avoided houses guarded by a couple of big dogs.

Gun safes are as reasonable as insuring steel and concrete bridges against fire. No steel and concrete bridge that was insured against fire has ever burned down, so the insurance companies can say that their insurance must be the reason why that is so.

Orval Faubus, the former governor of Arkansas, owned stock in an insurance company that insured Arkansas' steel and concrete bridges against fire. Maybe he could sell you a REALLY effective gun safe that could protect your firearms against theft just as well as his insurance company protected those steel and concrete Arkansas bridges against fire. Check it out....no steel and concrete bridge his company insured was EVER burned down by fire.

Many gun safe companies are willing to make you a similar offer.

Lengthy smartass comment.

I don't like big dogs. I prefer cowdogs. Plus. 1911 or an XD trumps any giant turd factory.

Some folks keep thier insured firearms in safes because it beats hiding them in the closet....:rolleyes:
If you ever get the chance, try un-bolting a safe from a concrete floor without opening the door. Heck maybe you could hook a tow rope up to your ox size dog, & try to pull it over.... Good luck.
IF you can get it un-secured, from its anchored place, how long will it take you to move it out of the house? I'll bet those professional thieves you interviewed wouldn't want to take that much time, or make that much noise. Maybe you should go ask them. You never know, they may give you a second interview. Oh, & don't forget to bring your dog, cause nobody wants to see you get hurt incase they decide not to.
Wasn't Clinton from Arkansas? Ya, I don't think is trust any politicians from Arkansas, or insurance salesmen.:D

Winmag,

Check YouTube for videos on breaking into a gun safe. For many brands and models - unfortunately the original poster's Winchester included - it takes very little time to break into them. There is no need to move the safe at all. Yes, they are much, much better than a wooden cabinet but they're not especially strong.

The main reason I got a safe was when my boy was younger and lots of kids over at the house, thought it was safer.Plus I put stuff in there now, that I dont want my boy to have free reign on.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.