Allen Mag Shooters Group

Re: Allen Mag Shooters Group -In the interest of sharing info

Kirby may put a shell holder in with the dies. Double check with him first.

NYLES,

You might also consider picking up a good ballistic program like Exbal, and if you want you can also pick up a handheld PDA that you can also install Exbal on and have your load data in the field with you. It sure makes those trips to the range nice to plug in the current conditions and adjust to them. Plus while your waiting on your rifle it will give you plenty of time with that 300 to learn all about how to tweek your BC's in.

As for loads, well if you look back through this post you will see several listed. It really depends on just where your at, and your normal conditions for that area. Down here, we are running decent velocities, but are still behind most of the loads by 6 - 8 grs. THose Wildcats like to be kept up close to the lands, but I advise starting about 10 off to get things going. IF your planning on fireforming your cases, you might try 98grs of the 872 with the 169.5's or even a 150gr Nosler BT. I use that load with some old 150gr Solid Bases I had on hand and it shoots around an inch and a half at 500yds. They start out at 3460fps. Pleanty of get up and go to even use as back up rounds out to about 700yds. They shoot a touch higher than the 169's at 500 but it is easy enough to crank down if need be.

I would suggest that you pick a weight and buy enough to last you a while. As has been mentioned, Richard gets busy and till he is done farming it up, your gonna have to wait on bullets. IT always seems to be the wrong time to run out. LOL That is another reason I am so happy with the 150gr SB load. I always got something just in case. Also the Wildcats seem to shoot better the faster you run them.

On the powders, I have noted that everything we have used is subject to some degree of change. I have however noted that it seems to not be quite as bad with the stiffer loads. I picked a velocity I wanted to shoot and when I got there I then worked on groups. I would rather run it a little slower and make it last than top it out and toast it. Still 169.5's @ 3250 and the 195's @ 3100+ isn't too shabby at all. You will definately not have to worry about expansion or penetration with either of them out to 1K.

I started with WC872, will probably stick with it, its temp sen. but its as good on the barrels as anything else.( high graphite content is what makes it temp sen. and easy on barrels) I've noticed that to about 70 degrees its pretty consistant, after that it goes kinda haywire, but I load 5 gr less for shooting 80 degrees and up and its just about the same velocity as my cold weather loads.
My barrel is 30" plus brake so you'll be ok with a 52" case. yeah a pda/handheld with exbal is very desirable.
JS

Which site is Wildcats bullets current....I need to order some bullets! Can I use a credit card? Or do I mail in the order?

Cant call from work.

Will 2 boxes of 169.5 Ultra Low Drag Hollow Point Rebated Boatails be enough for a good start. (will use something else for fire forming AC, BT something of that nature)

[ QUOTE ]
Which site is Wildcats bullets current....http://wildcatbullets.com/indexOld.htm

Phone # in upper right. Call in the evening. Work out payment details with Richard.

Can I use a credit card? No.

Will 2 boxes of 169.5 Ultra Low Drag Hollow Point Rebated Boatails be enough for a good start. 200 bullets would be a good start. But I'd recommend at least 4 boxes, just on general principles. There is just a bit of inconvenience when you run low.

[/ QUOTE ]

When we sent our order in we ask for 2000 of the 169's and 1000 of the 195's.

Hell the money you got, just cut him a check.

Later Tim

"Ultra Low Drag Hollow Point Rebated Boatails"

Roy,
You say 4 boxes? 400 bullets.....OK! but thats about 5 years worth! but Ill have it all tuned up pretty good! with leftovers.

I hope I dont have to shoot that many! but your right never hurts to have another 100 around....two other pluses I do have a 270 win and paw in law has a 270 WSM. So they could be used in more than one gun. More general practice on reloading shooting for groups what not while "THE BIG GIRL" gets her beauty sleep!

Tim,
Why not just load for me! You trying to monopolize the bullets? Ill just order from you!
I KNOW YOU AINT GOT THAT MANY HOGS! If you do, Ill be over to help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Come on over, looks like ol' Roy ain't gonna come help me out . I dropped 11 and my wife got 2 one weekend not really even hunting for them.

Made some sausage out of a few a couple of weeks ago turned out allright, especially for not making any in about 35yrs.

I think I'm just gunna keep my 270AM. Gunna turn the wick up and rip um out about 3500 if they will stay together. We will see. Hell I was getting 3300 with 92.5grs. of H-869. I dropped the charge to 92grs. and was getting 3400, go figure. Since see wants to run high numbers, she's gunna run with her tongue hangin out. If I shoot the barrel out, I'll screw another one on with more lands and grooves and less twist.

Tim

hogs are like roaches in a cheap hotel down here in tx you shoot one and two or three take its place

no season there not native so there classified as non game animal but you do have to have a hunting liscence you can shoot trap them what ever you have to do to try and controll them

[ QUOTE ]

Roy,
You say 4 boxes? 400 bullets.....OK! but thats about 5 years worth!

Yeah, that's what I thought. Since I had to learn how to reload for the big girl, (its a whole nother world from say a 270 Win. type cartridges) Plus you have no idea of how satisfying it is to ring the 1K gong shot after shot after shot. Well me neither, that's why I burn up so many boolets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim/Mike - been a strange winter. The snow has been light the temps very low, the game hasn't bunched up and are still roaming and feeding which is good for them and bad for the woofs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif The bad thing is that the farmers are farming already well, at least fertilizing on the frozen snow which starts my season early. Which is the reason you haven't seen me. Gotta make some bucks to pay for these bad habits.

BTW, I owe ya something. How much?

Roy

Make your money now. We have serious business to tend to in late October. I got an envelope today from Idaho Fish and Game with all of my permits in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.