Allen Mag Shooters Group

Re: Allen Mag Shooters Group -In the interest of sharing info

Two weeks!!! just think about how many other people got on the APS list while you were making up your mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re: Allen Mag Shooters Group -In the interest of sharing info

As busy as Kirbys been, I dont think many sqeezed in there. I dont care though, He will spend more time waiting on parts than anything. No matter get it when I get it! Allready excited! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

More of learning curve & experience -In the interest of sharing info

Received a couple of hundred of the 195WCs. After the experience expressed in the long post, above, I figured I was ready to getter goin'.

First I got to looking at all of those terrible lookin 200 yard groups that I had shot with the 195s so far. It was a bit of an eye opener when I measured all of the groups and converted to MOA. As bad as they looked the largest of the groups were just under 1 MOA and there was just a couple of those. Average would hover right around 7 tenths. That isn't too shabby, I'd say. But not good enough.

I started the session with fully resized cases that had the shoulders set back only enough to not crunch the case. All resized empty cases chambered as though they weren't even there.

I started with 93gr of US-869 and the 195 WC set right on the lands or leade or whatever it's called. To determine that length I let the bolt seat a bullet in a specially altered case mouth. I then set the sizing die to this length. This setting was a little long with the bullet being seated somewhat into the lands. I then colored the ogive area of the bullet with a sharpie and adjusted the seating die until just about 1/2 of the sharpie mark was removed and called this "on the lands".

Temp: 16 to 19*F
Hum: 74 to 68%
Press: 25.873 to 28.855
Elevation: 4450'
Wind was negligible
Mirage was good for about 3/4" at the 200 yd target. Holey good squat! With snow on the ground and 16* ya figure mirage wouldn't be a problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Loaded 3 93gr of 869 and 3 with 94gr all seated "on the lands" which left only a small mark all the way around the bullet that was "just" noticible.

The 3 93gr loads averaged 3048 FPS w/an ES of 21 and went into 1.09 MOA ( noticed one load chambered tightly and it was the shot that opened the group. The other two shots were w/in 0.5" of each other.

The 3 94gr loads averaged 3085 w/an ES of 40 and went into 0.764 MOA.(I again noticed that one load chambered tightly and again it was the one that opened the group.)

I know it wasn't the case causing the chambering pressure so it must have been the COL making a difference. The next step was to jump the bullet a bit and see what happened.

When seating the bullet deeper the velocity goes down so I stuck with 94gr of US-869 and set the seating die for a 10 thou jump. The 3 shots averaged 3067 FPS w/an ES of 25. The first 2 shots were w/in 0.5" of each other. The 3rd shot was high making the group 1.2" or .573 MOA. (Its typical for me that when the first two shot 'go in there' I nearly have an anxiety attack about half way through braking the trigger on the next shot. (That's why I liked a 2 oz trigger) So now I had to determine if I was the problem or it was a "good" flyer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I loaded 3 more w/94gr and 10 thou jump and 3 w/a 15 thou jump.
The 10 thou loads averaged 3078 FPS and went into the same group as the previous identical load for a 0.429 group within the 0.573 group.

The 15 thou group averaged 3083 W/an ES of 31, shifted to the right about an inch and was a horizontal banana shaped group of about 0.86 MOA.

As Mike and Tim have discovered the 270 AM is sensitive to seating depth which can really be tweeked to do some good shootin. Additionally the ESs have seemed to come down since I've improved my resizing techniques.

She's zeroed @ 200, shooting round 1/2 MOA @ 200 w/a velocity that will produce right around 2000 FPE @ 1000 so the next step is to take to the range and do the drop chart thing then put some holes in fur.

Just for note, she shoots a bit better from the bipod than she does from the pedestal rest and the bench. At least she did with the 150 BTs and 169.5 WCs.

I haven't posted anything here because I haven't done anything since this thread was started (except let maybe 40 deer walk away), so I will just repost the specs and a few pictures.

Here are the specifications of the gun called Tiger Stripes.

7mm Allen Magnum

Lilja 34 in, 9 twist, four groove barrel, fluted #8 Contour (I believe) - allows one setback if ever needed and as we have seen delivers a dump truck load of velocity - 3340fps w/ 200gr Wildcat with room to still add three more grains of H US 869. So top end is probably in the vicinity of 3400+fps. Elk killing power to about 1800 yards.

Nesika Model M single shot action with Nesika 20 MOA rail(courtesy of Ballistic 64 of this forum)

Night Force Scope 8 X32 X 56mm NPR2 reticle (if I had to do it over again I would get less scope)

Burris Extreme Tactical rings - These are great rings

Jewel trigger set a 2.3 #

Shawn Carlock four slot brake

A5 Stock w/ adjustable cheek piece and butt plate, 4 flush cups and a bipod stud. Tiger striped in green and orange.

The trigger guard is black crinkle and really nice and fits with the finish of the stock.

Below the gun is a 100 yard group I shot while doing the barrel break in. It is the only group I have ever shot. The aim point was the top of the "C". Group size was 0.416 inches. As accurate as the gun is I don't bother shooting more than one or two rounds to check the zero or impact.

In case any of the new people wonder what the gun is capable of doing at long range--- KAWHOP

tigerstripes.jpg

group2.jpg

Re: More of learning curve & experience -In the interest of sharing info

Roy

I am glad you finally got a good load because you were about to cause a national paper shortage as much of it as you have been killing recently. I am expecting to see you post pictures of some dead coyotes here shortly

Re: More of learning curve & experience -In the interest of sharing in

Yeah, its time to quit all of this posting and pokin' holes in paper and start harvesting some stuff. Front yard has been full of mule deer for the last several nights. They come in for the Russian olives.

How far do I have to shoot something to be able to put " The Smokin Fur Rifle Club" in my sig?

Also I have room for at least 5 more grains of powder but I think I'd run into extraction problems. Besides with my <font color="red"> higher BC </font> I probably don't need as much velocity as you do with that big bore thing of yours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I really don't know exactly what the requirements for membership are? Shawn was talking about big elk killing rifles in some posts and referred the the big 338's and Allen Magnums as "smokin fur rifles" and it just struck me funny. I made the assumption that the sub 30 cal AM's were smoking fur, so I decided I would proclaim myself a member.

I'm gonna go kill something and join up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Re: I hit My Board!!!!

332clap.gif
I hit my board! I hit my board! I hit my board!
332clap.gif

Was doing the drop chart thing in the back yard. Got a good solid 300 yd zero. Took the target back to 525yds as that was the only place in the field that had something to lean the target holder against. Got a good setting at 525 yds.

Drop was running about 1 MOA low. Got pretty tired of all that walking (thinking of upgrading from a 270AM to a 375 AM, bigger holes!). Had two shots left so I figured, why not throw a couple at that board I nailed to a fence post about 3 years ago and have never shot at. I cranked in the settings from my draft drop chart, pretty much knowing that I would be about an MOA low and fired away. It was good to see the bullets strike the ground with each shot. (Working on a stock design that will pretty much assure spotting hits w/every shot. If setup is solid, that is.)

I put that board up 3 years ago (3' high by 2' wide) to practice ranging with the Mil Dot (Which didn't work so well) Even with the range finder I don't know the range. I have to range it in 2 segments and I don't remember to write it down. Its something like 1030 or 1113 yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I just held in the center both ways and let'r rip. Hits in the snow looked pretty close together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Then I had to make the walk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hits were 1 MOA low and 1 MOA to the right and about 6" apart and that's shooting prone off of a piece of carpet in the snow with a 2-bit flimsy bipod (as they all are, so far). When I get this big girl zero'd the yotes are gonna have a problem.

BTW, the damage to the frozen blow sand was very impressive. A really nice creater and shrapnel spread over a 10' circle. I appears as though those 195 WCs are build pretty good.

Hey Roy,
I also live in Blackfoot.
Shoot me an E-mail when you have time and mabye I could join you at the range? I would love to see the performance of your rig!!! Also you could probably teach me a few things.

[email protected]

Roy, dont shoot up all your brass........you are hard core dude I havn't seen 17 degrees in the south but twice in a lifetime(36),,,,years

Your one hardcore dude! but im learning!

They shouldnt sell that much beer!

A beanfiled at 20 degrees is a sight to see.....

Twern't nothin' really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif A couple of days ago it was -6*F and I was shootin'. Finger tips actually hurt when turning the turrets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

However I did learn that US-869 is pretty temperature stable form -6 to 26 degrees. I'll see what those loads do this summer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

buffalobob:

Does this qualify as "smokin fur"??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif This one was pretty short range, but the fur was smokin until that red stuff blew all over the smokin fur and put the fire out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
DSC00490croppedSmall.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.