Allen Mag Shooters Group

Re: Allen Mag Shooters Group -In the interest of sharing info

Hey Nyles,

Well if you decide to go for it, you will definately have a rig capable of reaching out and touching something for sure.

This in my mind was the best choice for me for a couple of reasons.

First, I like the .270 caliber even though there aren't a lot of bullet weights from factory offereings.

Second was the ease of case forming and price of the cases verses some of the other A.M.'s. I have a tendency of loosing cases along the way for one reason or another. Especially if hunting. They just seem to get swallowed up by the grass or leaves.

Also on forming the cases, I use a Nosler 150gr solid base for my my FF loads, which would probably easily be switched out with a BT. I just had a good supply of new old stock on hand. I had shot some during the break in of the barrel and found they shot so well why not use them to hunt with. THe 169's work very well also.

Down here we had to drop off the commonly used loads due to the change in conditions we have verses others. We are also finding that AA-8700 is showing some potential for us as well.

The biggest thing your going to have to learn is how to hold your rig. It isn't just grab on and pic a target, it's more like slippin in behind your girl and cudling. IF you try to force the shot you will drive yourself nutty wondering why you can't get the groups. When I shoot mine, I am more or less only holding the rifle steady, with enough pressure from my cheek to allow me to focus on the target. For the most part it is a free recoil thing from there, when I touch the trigger. THe longer barrel will really show your minute movements at the further ranges. Once you get this in your head the groups are next.

Hope this helps,

Thats what Im talking about! Some info....

Now I wanna see some pics!
With details...Ive never owned a custom gun so yall help a poo boy out!

Redoing my LSS is the only practical (I know that word doesnt belong here) thing I can get by the wifeee!

So you all tell me what youd do different If Mr. Allen was to built you a new one. And Id like it to be a repeater if only 3 shots.

What contors? I like fluted and another $150 or so wont kill me.

Stocks? other than a $600 mcmillian

Bottom ends? Dont guess it needs one "IF I STAY WITH MY ONE FOR ONE!" statement Kirby has already used on me once!
And I agree until its a whitetail "running or slipping" across a beanfield at 600 yds. You get about 15 seconds total.

Lets keep it affordable! Fifty? Your gonna get to build it so I would like to hear some things from you to! I know we email but the more info out here the better.

Is everyone running 30" and a brake? I was thinking 28" and a removable break but if Im getting in the shootin house..............Ill Use my Sendero.

Thanks fellas!

YEA BABY! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I love it!

only thing ID wanna change is the stock......Ive looked at my "green n grey" too long.

Here's some not so very good pics but its what I have on hand.

Action: REM 721 - @ my request Kirby glued in a mag loading ramp to convert to single shot. I didn't want to contend with magazine length limitations.

Barrel: Lilja 30" Fluted. Left anything to do with barrel specs to Kirby but I did request the flutes.

Brake: Not really sure. Left that to Kirby. I think its a Defensive Edge. I take it off to clean etc. AND BY THE WAY TO DO THE CORN MEAL THING. Forgot mention that above, Kirby flags that pretty strongly in his instructions...

Trigger: No change. Kirby adjusted it.

Bolt: Nothing requested by me other than whatever Kirby does normally. Though Kirby did some kind of magic dusting to it and made it slide really nice.

Stock: Bell & Carlson Carbilite. Kirby Pillar/Skim bedded. Just wait until what I have in mind gets made and fitted. It'll knock your eyes out. Plus its one hell of a design, if I must say so myself.....

16X SuperSniper scope w/Burris Signature rings with 20 MOA inserts (Thanks to buffalobob). For 300 bucks I can't see anything at all that I don't like about it.

The rifle isn't an armandaleg deal. I was quite surprised at how pleasurable it was to write the check. This was my first "custom" rifle also.

Total weight fully dressed w/o bipod = 12.0 pounds.
332AM-Other-Side-View-med.jpg
332AM-on-Side-med.jpg
332AM-Barrel-med.jpg

Umm HMM! I like it too! I know there are more of em yall dont be shy.....lets see em!

I looked up those bullets, price aint bad at all....I paid what they want for the 169.5gr for a box of TSX's. Kinda eased my mind about going .270

If I had it in a 28" with a brake, would you all call it a carbine? How much would I be giving up?

NYLES:

[ QUOTE ]
Now I wanna see some pics!

[/ QUOTE ]
Here is a pic of a couple of Kirby's creations. 7mm AM on the left and 270 AM on the right.
DSC02442Medium.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
So you all tell me what you'd do different If Mr. Allen was to build you a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would have done it much sooner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What contors? I like fluted and another $150 or so wont kill me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Contour is a personal thing and it will be determined by personal choice, required total weight and barrel length. Fluting is also usually a personal thing but personally I like them fluted.

[ QUOTE ]
Stocks? other than a $600 mcmillian

[/ QUOTE ]
I went with a McMillan A5 but would probably look at the Manners stocks or even one of Joel Russo's thumbhole laminates.

[ QUOTE ]
Is everyone running 30" and a brake? I was thinking 28" and a removable break but if Im getting in the shootin house..............Ill Use my Sendero.

[/ QUOTE ]
The 7mm AM and the 270 AM both have 30" barrels plus Holland brakes. The 7mm will undergo some more experimenting this spring and the barrel length will probably change. Just don't buy a full blown Nascar racer and then put a restrictor plate on it.

You can see some more pics and info on the 7mm AM "Here on the original link about the gun Kirby built."

Speechless! I hope to have 1 as nice as EITHER of those! I really like the barrel on your 7AM.

here's my piece of kirby magic, 30" 1/9 fluted lilja, richards stock, badger ext and recoil lug, HSP DBM, 4x16x56 XOTIC. chambered in 7mm AM
000_0151.jpg

also ya may wanna shoot some fireform loads along with the COW/cornmeal fireforming, even fireform loads are incredibly accurate.
7_AM_target.jpg

JS

I had my rifle built exclusively in pursuit of our own brand of Varmint. Folks out west and up north have prarie dogs, and ground hogs, and chucks of various sorts. Well we have "prairie hogs", and they require just a bit more downrange energy than the smaller dogs and such. So here is a breakdown of my heavy varminter, and my first custom built firearm ever from APS,

Lilja 1-8 30" # 7 contour
HP Precision stock
Jewell trigger set almost at 1#
Nightforce 5.5x22x50 NP-R2 reticle - (not in the pic but installed on the rifle now)
Burris Signature ringe and base with +20 inserts.
Harris BR bi-pod
Holland Recoil Lug
Some sweet work on the bolt and everything else buy Kirby,
270AMRight.jpg

270AMleft.jpg

Here is a shot of the 500yd plate with a couple of the 150gr Nosler SB fire form loads grouped in tight, the white spot is 2 1/2" in diameter.
P1010014.jpg

Here are a couple of 169'5s
P4090026.jpg

Here is a 500yd group from the 195gr Wildcats as I walked it in from a 200yd zero. The shots at the top are tw 150's I shot to see the difference in the two. They are running a little faster at 3460 vs the 3150 of the 195's.
P1010005.jpg

P1010010.jpg

Here is a pic of a decent hog I got with it not long after receiving it. The shot was just a tad low but I was learning.
P4010017.jpg

Only thing about these critters and those Wildcat bullets, they are pretty rough on the hogs from close range as you can see, and it only gets better the closer they are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You can however drop one in their ear as well and not manage to tear them up as bad, but every now and again, I get a little excited, and forget that I might want to eat whats left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Almost too pretty! But I like......Are there alot of lefties in here or is there a reason Im seeing alot of left handed guns?

Now this is right down my alley........Nothin but business! thats it! Mike what does it wiegh?
And what brake is that?
And is it single shot or repeater?

Real real close to exactley what I want....

I could live without the Jewel and do a rifle basix....teflon the entire gun...(secret color)....and not sure Id want a #7 ...I know I want more than a #3...getting real close to knowing exactley what I want.

Again thank you all! Dont be shy there more out there lets see em!

I can't see why you wouldn't want a #7 fluted. My son's 270 WIn w/27" #4 Lilja gets hot after second quick shot. Keep in mind that we're talking LRH here not traipsing around the hills with a carry gun. So far this is my ideal set up. When I used it there was snow every day.
332ShootinBed-med.jpg

I need some barrels up close and personal.....does anyone know what contur remmy uses on the sendero in 300 win? knowing that would really help me out, giving me something to compare to....And Roy I like your barrel! Alot!

What would a fluted #7 wiegh at 30"?

im goning to get my sedero and my caliper...and a scale.... get this figured out!

When I get back I wanna see more! Mike/Tx whats yours wiegh?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.