accuracy of walmart rem 700.

My cheap Remington 700 ADL 7mm Remington Mag has become my most accurate and favorite gun to shoot! Bell and Carlson carbalite stock, muzzle brake, and some 160gr accubonds. I was hitting steel out to 700 yards getting ready for New Mexico next week! I bought it at walmart!

My Walmart 700 shoots a lot better than I can. That being said, I didnt trust the rifle's consitency whatsoever at all until I put it into a new stock. The ADL stocks are junk.

My grandfather bought a 700 SPS last year and upon trying to sight it in it would not shoot under about a 5 inch group. Bedded and freefloated and it is shooting right at MOA.

I know that the rifles are capable of a lot better groupings than I am capable of shooting and I will be the first to admit it. But I will tell you that the stocks are the number one problem.

Attachments

• 20141126_111836.jpg
    20141126_111836.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 102
My two remington budget rifles shoot just about as well as my expensive rifle. One is an SPS varmint $600 with an HS precision I found on sale for $250. The other is a VLS $900 with nothing but a bedding job $40. As for bullets in a factory barrel, you might try Amax or Nosler long range accubond. Factory barrels might not be ideal, but I am one of those that can't bring myself to just throw away a brand new one. I once read an article that claimed by trying your best to burn up a factory barrel before blueprinting and adding match grade barrel would improve your accuracy as much as anything.

Thanks mudrunner! My mind is now made up. Im gonna go ahead and build a remmy 700. I do have a gunsmith that i trust. He was the master gunsmith for Sturm&Ruger co. for a long time. So hopefully it will shoot ok. Ill post pics when i get it all done.

If it shoots good one day and not the next, I'm willing to say it will most likely shoot. (not definitely) I you are shooting it with the Tupperware stock it came with you are chasing something you will never catch. That stock flexes like a rubber band and to get any king of repeatable accuracy you will have to do everything perfect and then its a crap shoot.
If you are considering building off of it get a good stock first that would be used for the build and try it on your rile it just might cure it. If not you need the stock any way for the build so I would start there, you just might end there and keep it.

I you know someone with a chassis throw it in if and see what happens.

Don't take this wrong but if you have the Tupperware stock the only good thing about it is it wont rust or rot.

Anyone that expects most of these rifles to shoot inside one MOA straight out of the box without doing anything to them is 3/4 bubble off of full plumb!!

Anyone that expects most of these rifles to shoot inside one MOA straight out of the box without doing anything to them is 3/4 bubble off of full plumb!!

I've got a couple of stock remmy's shooting sub moa without mods.... often you have to bed/ float the stock/barrel or replace the stock though.
I did the adl to bdl and stock replacement on a wally world 700 in 7rem also, but my reason was the cheap plastic trigger guard that I did not want to replace only for the thing to break again in a few months. It did shoot a bit better after the mods, but not enough to write home about...

lightbulbWhy would Remington rifles (or any brand for that matter) from Walmart be of any lesser quality than from gun shops/stores, unless specifically made for them with their own specs? lightbulb

lightbulbWhy would Remington rifles (or any brand for that matter) from Walmart be of any lesser quality than from gun shops/stores, unless specifically made for them with their own specs? lightbulb
Because for years people have been under the misconception that the Wally World/Academy Sports/Dicks ADL rifles on special for $379-399 have been made of inferior components. When the fact is, the reason they are cheaper than other stores, is because of the quantity of them that they buy and sell. They get them at a cheaper price, therefore they can sell them at a cheaper price compared to your locally owned small business gun store.

Quality does not vary amongst the ADL/SPS/CDL lines of rifles, no matter where you buy them from.

Because for years people have been under the misconception that the Wally World/Academy Sports/Dicks ADL rifles on special for $379-399 have been made of inferior components. When the fact is, the reason they are cheaper than other stores, is because of the quantity of them that they buy and sell. They get them at a cheaper price, therefore they can sell them at a cheaper price compared to your locally owned small business gun store.

Quality does not vary amongst the ADL/SPS/CDL lines of rifles, no matter where you buy them from.

lightbulbI know about the magnitude of Walmart's buying power that's why I brought it up. Thus, there is NO difference in quality. lightbulb

It's the baseline rifle that suffers in quality, not the joint it came from. Some retailers are known to pressure manufacturers to push prices down by whatever means necessary though. I wouldn't put it past Wally world to do this with some goods. Doing this with rifles would be a bit sketchy though.
On the bright side, for those of you that love the Vangard by Wby., it was Wally World that kept that one alive as the Mk5 is to expensive.

It's the baseline rifle that suffers in quality, not the joint it came from. Some retailers are known to pressure manufacturers to push prices down by whatever means necessary though. I wouldn't put it past Wally world to do this with some goods. Doing this with rifles would be a bit sketchy though.
On the bright side, for those of you that love the Vangard by Wby., it was Wally World that kept that one alive as the Mk5 is to expensive.

I agree ... and that's what buying/purchasing power can do esp. in capitalism -- the bottom-line is the profit margin. Again, the quality of the rifle has nothing to do with Walmart, unless the gun manufacturer cut corners (shame on them) on quality to deliver Walmart's demand. Quality is the gun manufacturer not on Walmart.

ADDED: I was cleaning up some old e-mails and found the below correspondence:

Remingtons Sold At Wal-Mart [Incident: 100810-000011]

Remington Information <[email protected]>

8/11/10
cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is our response.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 72 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To access your question from our support site, click here.

Subject Remingtons Sold At Wal-Mart Discussion Thread Response (Danny)08/11/2010 10:19 AM Glad to be of service. Customer (Ed)08/11/2010 12:12 AM Danny,
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for your prompt response.

V/R

Ed
On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Remington Information [email protected] wrote: Response (Danny)08/10/2010 04:02 PM

All Remington firearms must meet Remington's standards regardless of where they are sold. There is no such thing a seconds or lesser quality for any retailer. WalMart has the ability to volume order and that is why they will usually have lower prices than most others.
Hope this helps to clear things up.

Customer (Ed)
08/10/2010 06:44 AM Are Remingtons sold at Wal-Mart in accordance to Wal-Mart's specifications and are they made of lesser quality than that off sold to sport stores such as Cabelas, Scheel's, etc ...?

Please advise. Thank you in advance for your support and understanding. Question Reference #100810-000011 Product Level 1: Firearms Product Level 2: Centerfire Rifles Date Created: 08/10/2010 06:44 AM Last Updated: 08/11/2010 10:19 AM Status: Waiting ------------------------------------------------------------- We hope that this information will be helpful to you. If we can be of further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-243-9700, M-F, 9am-5pm EST. Remington Arms Co. -- America's Oldest Gunmaker 870 Remington Drive, Madison, NC 27025 1-800-243-9700 or 1-336-548-8700--FAX: 1-336-548-7801 Visit us in Remington Country at http://www.remington.com/ REMEMBER, FIREARMS SAFETY DEPENDS ON YOU! Whether you are a beginner or an advanced user, our new Safety Section is a must for everyone. http://www.remington.com/safety ------------------------------------------------------------- [---001:001760:31635---]

Last edited: