accuracy of walmart rem 700.

I bought a rem 700 in a 30-06 from walmart. Piece of crap. It shot terrible. I hand loaded and the best COSISTENT group i could do at 100 yds was 1 1/2 in or more. Very unconsistent gun. never knew what i was going to get from day to day. to be honest i wouldn't give anyone a dime for a remington nowadays. They shoot like crap.
You're right...They do shoot horribly...

1.286" inches (corrected measurement), 24 shots, 100 yards, hot-lap off of sandbags (I don't own a lead-sled or any of those steady-hold devices that holds the rifle still).

E04F0BEA-4992-48B5-A832-455D460D1A4F-545-000000D6DDDB7663.jpg

I shouldn't have tried to pull that 24th shot to try to blot out all the orange in the bullseye...Then my group would have been under 1 MOA @ 100 yards. :D

That was me shooting my factory Remington 700 5R MilSpec .308 Win 24" barrel. 100 yards. Right out of the box... As a matter of fact that was shot numbers 77-100 through a brand new rifle. I had just barely broken in the barrel earlier that day with shots 1-76...

You're right...They do shoot horribly...

1.286" inches (corrected measurement), 24 shots, 100 yards, hot-lap off of sandbags (I don't own a lead-sled or any of those steady-hold devices that holds the rifle still).

E04F0BEA-4992-48B5-A832-455D460D1A4F-545-000000D6DDDB7663.jpg

I shouldn't have tried to pull that 24th shot to try to blot out all the orange in the bullseye...Then my group would have been under 1 MOA @ 100 yards. :D

That was me shooting my factory Remington 700 5R MilSpec .308 Win 24" barrel. 100 yards. Right out of the box... As a matter of fact that was shot numbers 77-100 through a brand new rifle. I had just barely broken in the barrel earlier that day with shots 1-76...

haha very nice. What rounds were you shooting, hand loads or factory?

ok my bad. Mabey the one i had was no good. I know someone who just bought a 700 limited edition in a 6mm rem. the gun is crap. best group at 100 yds is 2 in. Im just sayin that the new remingtons don't seeem to shoot as good as the older ones. i know several other people that would back me up on that. The same person also owns a 700 bdl with a bbl in a 6mm rem and that gun is 15 years old and it will shoot circles around his new one. Just a coincidence maybe? Your thoughts?

ok my bad. Mabey the one i had was no good. I know someone who just bought a 700 limited edition in a 6mm rem. the gun is crap. best group at 100 yds is 2 in. Im just sayin that the new remingtons don't seeem to shoot as good as the older ones. i know several other people that would back me up on that. The same person also owns a 700 bdl with a bbl in a 6mm rem and that gun is 15 years old and it will shoot circles around his new one. Just a coincidence maybe? Your thoughts?

I just bought a remington 700 mountain SS, Literally 3 weeks ago. I have only tried two factory loads, no hand loads. I tried nosler partitions 165 grain which shot about a 1.25inch group and remington corelokts which shot between .5-.75 inch at 100 yards. The core lokts surprised me. Needless to say, that is still quite awesome considering no handloads, so maybe you and your friend both got duds lol. Most people on here who shoot factory set-ups shoot a remington sendero or xcr, but yes...those are more of the high end remington's/
I would stay away from the remington 783/770 and probably the bottom of the line 700 which I think is a SPS. I heard those synthetic stocks are flimsy and will more than likely need to be replaced or at minimum bedded.

Did you guys try multiple brands ammo or handloads? So many people grab a rifle, 1 load and assume it should shoot well lol, also may want to try and bed the action

Wow that is good for factory ammo. The one i had i tried so many different loads and bullets it wasn't even funny! i probably tried 50 combinations or so with no success. It varied greatly from day to day. Sometimes with the same load one day id get half moa. the next day 2 in. with no great weather differences. What are your thoughts on this?

The other guy i mentioned doesn't get much better results. His is only a year old and for a 1000 dollar rifle i should hope it would shoot better than what it does.

Wow that is good for factory ammo. The one i had i tried so many different loads and bullets it wasn't even funny! i probably tried 50 combinations or so with no success. It varied greatly from day to day. Sometimes with the same load one day id get half moa. the next day 2 in. with no great weather differences. What are your thoughts on this?

if it groups one day and not the next something is definitely wrong. Some guys on here could definitely offer some answers, but the most obvious would be... are you certain your scope, rings, bases are all snug? Scope holding zero or could it be broken? Then check action bolts to make sure they are tightened properly. I would start at like 25-30 inch/pounds front and back and make small increasing increments(5in/lb) and see if your groups change. Action bolt torque CAN make a difference on poorly bedded rifles. If none of this works the rifle may need a bedding job. I doubt the barrel or chamber are the cause, but this would be the last place to check (unless of course you see some flaws in the rifling/crown)

My factory browning X-bolt was doing the same thing as yours and it turned out the scope was bad wouldnt hold zero...but before I figured out to check that I must have blown 200+ dollars on ammo trying to find a good factory load.

Yes i checked my scope, rings and bases and all were tight. I sold the rifle because i didn't know what was wrong with it. i know it wasn't the scope because I now have that scope on a t/c icon precision hunter in a 6.5 creedmoor and that gun will throw 1/4 in 5 shot groups all day long.:) So i'm not sure what the problem was. I know the trigger on my friends gun is terrible. He is going to take it to a gun smith and see what he can do.

Yup, the trigger on my 243 SPS was bad too. Dropped a Jewel trigger into it, and now it shoots as well as anything else that I own. For some reason the trigger on my 7RM and my 30-06 were not as bad.

Yes i checked my scope, rings and bases and all were tight. I sold the rifle because i didn't know what was wrong with it. i know it wasn't the scope because I now have that scope on a t/c icon precision hunter in a 6.5 creedmoor and that gun will throw 1/4 in 5 shot groups all day long.:) So i'm not sure what the problem was. I know the trigger on my friends gun is terrible. He is going to take it to a gun smith and see what he can do.

The triggers do leave a little to be desired. Some of them actually come pretty bad from factory. My mountain ss came with a pretty nice trigger though. Right around the 3lb mark which is fine for hunting 500 yards or less, which in my case I do.

I am not saying the remington's are the best...just you do make them sound terrible which is not the case. There are plenty other high end rifles with issues, but there are also lower end rifles such as Tikka t3s that shoot very well.
Remingtons are by far the most customizable rifle which every gun smith knows how to work on. If I was going to do a semi-custom rifle it would be on a a remington 700 or a savage 11/111

haha very nice. What rounds were you shooting, hand loads or factory?
Handloads. That gun has only had 20 rounds of factory loads ever fired through it. It was broke-in with the same batch of handloads that shot that group. I loaded up my .308 loads in Frankford 100rd boxes, and load them in batches of 100 at a time, and I don't mix brass with my .308's....Each different load's brass stays with each individual box.

That load that shot that group was:

44.0 gains of Varget
168 Nosler Custom Comps
Federal 210 primers
Lapua brass (new and unfireformed at the time)
Seated to 2.810" (SAAMI spec)

I just bought a remington 700 mountain SS, Literally 3 weeks ago. I have only tried two factory loads, no hand loads. I tried nosler partitions 165 grain which shot about a 1.25inch group and remington corelokts which shot between .5-.75 inch at 100 yards. The core lokts surprised me. Needless to say, that is still quite awesome considering no handloads, so maybe you and your friend both got duds lol. Most people on here who shoot factory set-ups shoot a remington sendero or xcr, but yes...those are more of the high end remington's/
I would stay away from the remington 783/770 and probably the bottom of the line 700 which I think is a SPS. I heard those synthetic stocks are flimsy and will more than likely need to be replaced or at minimum bedded.

Did you guys try multiple brands ammo or handloads? So many people grab a rifle, 1 load and assume it should shoot well lol, also may want to try and bed the action
The cheap $379 700 ADL specials are perfect for stripping down to the bare action, selling the barrel & lug, stock, and trigger, and truing the action up, truing & jeweling the bolt, and building a really nice custom rifle off of. Cheap start-up for a custom is about all they're good for. You can truly take a lump of coal and turn it into gold.

My apologies. i don't mean to make them sound bad because they really aren't. These is just my experiences.

now I feel like I need to apologize haha. No need for you to appologize...it's good to put your experiences on here, just stating that remington does put out a ton of rifles and some are going to be lemons, but in general, i think remington's are definitely fine rifles.