6.5saum finally

I use it in almost all my rifles. It tunes just like any other throat as far as I can tell. It does let you get a little more speed and I like the accuracy I get from it. All my 1000 yard BR guns have bore rider throats. Some don't like them but I have had great luck with them. You can shoot jammed or jumped just like an ordinary throat. I've been finding my best accuacy jumped.
Shep

I just don't order up reamers with throats anymore. The throat is seldom the length you want so I just cut throats to the length I want. Or the customer can send me however long he wants the bullet seated in a case and I can get it real close to that length. I try to optimize the length to fit magazines right or on single shots get the bearing surface completely up in the neck.
Shep

James of Apache gun works Chambered up a 27" 6.5 gap .081 freebore for a very reasonable price. It's on it's way back from spiral fluting right now. Any way, I bore scoped it before sending out for fluting. I've never saw a bore rider throat in a bore scope but it sure looks like that's what I have. Leade into the lands where the reamer cut the throat looks long angled. I could be mistaken. Makes no difference to me either way as long as it shoots good but I would like to get all the velocity I can. I've got prime ammo to break it in with but I plan on dumping n570 to it soon.

The bore rider throat has a distinct little bump in the throat. The hump is actually the second step that takes you to full engraved. I might try and get a good picture of it in one of my guns but it's hard to see. The hump is only a few thousands high. Probably easier to see it on the actual reamer. The .081 gap reamer spec leaves alot of room in the mag box that why I made mine deeper. I'm running the Wyatt's regular extended short box. Those fit in the Gunwerx with no modifications at all. And really easy to put in any rem 700.
Shep

Wby missed the boat on the bore rider. He used that super long throat to help reduce pressure. My second 257wby reamer has a standard throat length and with the bore rider I can load to the lands and have no pressure at max book loads and even exceeding max. I did the same with my 6.5/257wby. Dave Kiff told me a 264winmag can gain 150fps with the bore rider. I believe it. Overbore cartridges love the bore rider.
Shep

The bore rider throat has a distinct little bump in the throat. The hump is actually the second step that takes you to full engraved. I might try and get a good picture of it in one of my guns but it's hard to see. The hump is only a few thousands high. Probably easier to see it on the actual reamer. The .081 gap reamer spec leaves alot of room in the mag box that why I made mine deeper. I'm running the Wyatt's regular extended short box. Those fit in the Gunwerx with no modifications at all. And really easy to put in any rem 700.
Shep
Ive put some Wyatt's in before. This rifle I'm working on now is going to be an odd ball I guess you could say but there's not a Wyatt's for it and aprx 3.880 is as much as I had in the detachable mag. I'm planning on posting some pictures when I get finished. It's going to either be a birthday or Christmas present for my son.

Wby missed the boat on the bore rider. He used that super long throat to help reduce pressure. My second 257wby reamer has a standard throat length and with the bore rider I can load to the lands and have no pressure at max book loads and even exceeding max. I did the same with my 6.5/257wby. Dave Kiff told me a 264winmag can gain 150fps with the bore rider. I believe it. Overbore cartridges love the bore rider.
Shep
The angle on the reamer cut seemed to look long on this throat. Not as steep of an angle as I'm used to seeing but more of longer more gradual angle. I don't know, maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

I've tried to build cool guns for my boy but all he wants to shoot is the 788 Remington I did up for him. It's a 308 so I said let's put a cool barrel on it and do a cool chamber. Nope he likes the 308. It's like he's not my kid. But I did take his gun hunting one time. Shot my biggest buck ever with it in 30 minutes. Still don't like 308 though, unless it's a belt of it in an m-60. 😁That's fun anytime. And I used to get paid to have that much fun.
Shep

This is a budget build I'm doing for him that he doesn't know about so I can only work on it while he's gone. He said he thought something with a laminate stock, blued action and polished fluted barrel would look cool, so that's what I'm doing and he doesn't know about it. He's got two nice guns I've built him and all he wanted to carry hunting this past season was a Savage axis heavy barrel 6.5 creedmoor 🙄. He finally killed a deer with it so maybe he will carry something else this next season. He mostly bow hunts and I've never bow hunted, go figure.

We both bow hunt so that's fun when he's home. He's a professional photographer so he is always gone somewhere. When he does come home he is stuck on the puter doing editing constantly. But I did just get a grandson. He's going to be the lucky kid with the cool rifles. Hopefully.
Shep

Shep, You are off to a good start. Can't wait to see what it will really do with three of a tuned up load. Whenever I shoot a rifle for the first time, it is always such a good feeling to see a decent group with the very first shots. Let's you know you haven't wasted your time and money right off the bat. The fun part for me (besides ultimately whacking critters) is trying different ammo and seeing it improve until you get what you want to use on game. But those first shots with a few different ammos usually tell you a lot. My best shooting rifles were (mostly) pretty good from the first shots fired and then got better when I discovered what they liked to eat.

I finally got the 6.5 saum to a shootable state. Just need to dip the stock and it's will be done. I shot it yesterday 4 shots. One to get it on paper and then 3 shots. The load was 60gn of h1000 and a 140 Berger hybrid. Shot one was the bottom one. 60 gr. 2940fps shot 2 was just above it. 60.3 gr 2953 and shot 3 was the one to the left. 60.6 gr 2955 fps. I think the group is real good considering it has 4 shots on it now and the 3 shot group was all different powder charges. Barrel showed very little copper and is clean ready for a few more break in shots today. I'll keep posting as the powder charge goes up and the barrel breaks in. I'm going to do a Satterlee test and then seating test and show the progress of how I tune. I could just stop where I'm at and hunt but that's no fun and I have at least 100fps more I can go.
The rifle is a Gunwerx GRB action and a Proof sendero light carbon. McMillan htg stock and a Bix and Andy trigger. Scope is a Zeiss v6 3x18 in Burris signature rings.
Brass is adg. Fed 215 H1000 140hyb.
Shep
I shoot a 6.5 SAUM....Borden action, Hart Sendero, jewell trig......my best accuracy so far has been 60gr of R26, with the 140 Berger VLD hunter. When I do my part it's consistently .3 moa.....out to 200 yds, which is the max at my range. Velocity always 3150 with minimal variation. I had the rifle built by a wonderful 'Smith and was recommended to use that powder.....it's the best shooting rifle I own and at just under 8lbs naked, it's not a chore to carry and the recoil is very light. I love the caliber and would take it anywhere for anything up to an elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts