6.5saum vs 6.5 saum 4s

Lrdchaos

Are these calibers the same? Looking at a gun with a couple barrels, one of which is a 6.5 saum. I don't reload so I would need to buy ammo. I can find prime 6:5 saum 4s in stock.

To my understanding there has been more than one variant of the 6.5 GAP but the latest has .081 free bore( 4s variant). The case is the same. Between the two. Most of what is designated as simply just 6.5 saum has a longer throat so bullets can be seated out longer in the case. That is the difference. You can shoot the prime ammo in a 6.5 gap 4s or 6.5 saum with a longer throat because the bullets are seated deep enough in the case for the shorter throat. It will be a longer bullet jump for a 6.5 saum with say a .120 or longer freebored throat. Brass and ammo manufactured for the 6.5 GAP 4s is now standardized but early on people formed it from 7mm saum brass and the neck diameter needed to be turned down, so when looking at chamber reamers there are some with a .298 diameter neck(no neck turn) and some with a .296 diameter neck (neck turned). Mine has the .298 neck. I recommend the .298 neck.

My GAP 4s reamer has the .296" neck, I think this is standard GAP spec, however, my throat will be longer than the .081" throat. Looking to seat the 156gr Berger to the bullet heal just at the neck/shoulder juncture.
Still have not got my hands on a 156gr Berger bullet however.
In lockdown anyway, so all my projects are on hold, no travel allowed unless for ESSENTIAL ITEMS/SERVICES.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts